Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73737 10/31/06 11:28 PM
202677 Offline OP
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
What are your opinions on soccer players playing basketball or wrestling in the Winter? Does it impact the high school soccer team in any way (positive or negative)? I have a friend at work who has a son being 'recruited' to wrestle, but the kid has never done so. I told him I'd ask those at the soccer website for info, so here it goes.

Victory Starts Here!
Goal
Goal
Ya ok, being recruited to wrestle? pff by who?

IOWA? if that's the case please by all means...wrestle. Other than that, let the sport die please.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
recruited by HS wrestling???

Not a bad way to keep in shape, if you are a goalkeeper a pretty good way to stay fine tuned

Problem is overlapping the HS season at the beginning. If this is your first year to tryout for varsity AND the coach does not know who you are it can be negative not being at the tryouts. On the other hand most HS coaches know who is who and a spot can be "saved". It really is heavily depenedent on who you are .

Best thing would be to speak to HS soccer coach no matter who you are and let him/her know that you would like to tryout but will be doing other winter sports. Open the communication line...best thing to do.

C
Brace
Brace
C
Any kid should be able to play a winter sport and then try-out for a spring sport when it is over. The coach can not keep him from trying out and if he is good enough he will make the team.

Talking to the coach is the right thing to do but not trying for a sport because it might overlap is short sighted. You only get 4 years in HS and then you are done. If he wants to try wrestling let him. It is a very physcialy demanding sport and will get him in the best shape of his life. It may also help him become a little more physical on the soccer field. Its funny how alot of people on this site say HS soccer is below club. But now it is supposed be better than other sports?? Make up your mind. Let him try it and make the choice for himself.... He may decide it is not for him after a few weeks or it could be someting he does well and enjoys. If is up to the kid right not the coach.

I have players who play BB and Wrestle and yes they get out there late but they are already in shape and step in and start playing. Sure they are a little rusty with foot skills and touch but after a day or two that is all gone. It does not affect the regular season and allows other kids to play in the pre-season. Like I said if he is good enough, the coach will see that. Good Luck Coach J

Last edited by Coach J; 11/01/06 03:24 PM.
C
Throw In
Throw In
C
Let the kid play as many sports as they can, as long as it doesn't affect their grades. If they are a good athlete at one, they may also be good in another. I have many that play BB and wrestling and still play soccer too.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
In small schools like 1A, many play multiple sports each year. If they didn't, most small schools could not field a team.

goal
goal
Wrestling, reminds me of that "funny" Robin Hood movie, what was it?...oh yeah, "Men In Tights"........Rolling around on the floor holding each other tight, grabbing one another. Yeah, maybe they should just go straight to soccer!

What's my name?! Chuck Norris doesn't get questions, he gets answers!
R
throw in
throw in
R
when it comes to winter sports, i personally dont think its a bad idea...if the kid isn't a benchwarmer on the basketball team. if he/shes playing it usually works out pretty well. just use an example from one of the greats from the girls circuit: danielle jordan.
all-state forward/defender from west ashley's 2002, 2003, and 2005 state championship teams.
she played basketball and usually didn't start practicing with the team until the beginning of march.
and as far as i know..i think her younger sister candace is doing the same thing during her high school career.
although i've seen it work in girls soccer, most spring sports coaches for boys sports often forbid their players of participating in spring sports?
double standard maybe? or who knows...
it doesnt make much sense to me.

Some people say soccer's a matter of life or death, but it isn't...It's MUCH more important than that.
world cup
world cup
Please don't mention the Jordan sisters....brings back bad memories.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
coach
coach
Not many multi-sport athletes who star like this guy anymore. I feel that kids miss out on the many enjoyable, challenging experiences of playing various sports when they concentrate on just club and HS soccer. Even with that intense concentration in one sport, many still are overlooked by the colleges, for various reasons.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/high_school/16371710.htm

Link Copied to Clipboard