Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
I heard this being discussed on the Charlotte sports talk radio station this morning. Couldn't believe what I was hearing......

Posted on Tue, Nov. 07, 2006

PRINCIPAL APOLOGIZES
Pregame Hitler speech stirs fury
Charlotte Catholic coach says
Forestview players used racial slurs

LANGSTON WERTZ JR.
lwertz@charlotteobserver.com

When Charlotte Catholic's boys' soccer team got to Forestview High School in Gastonia on Saturday night for an N.C. 3A playoff game, the Cougars heard something over the public address system they never would've expected:

A 90-second portion of a speech from Adolf Hitler.

"We were warming up," said Catholic coach Gary Hoilett, "and all of us stopped and looked up at the booth. We were just real shocked. It was obviously a Hitler speech. The voice was coming across clearly. Everybody knew."

Forestview's players took the field after the speech ended.

But before the game, Hoilett said, some Forestview players were chanting something in German that means "On to victory," according to one of his players who speaks German. Hoilett, who is black, said that during the game some Forestview players directed racial epithets at his two black players.

"It was one of the worst things I've seen," Hoilett said of the speech and the racial epithets.

Monday, Forestview Principal Robert Carpenter met with Gaston County Schools Superintendent Reeves McGlohon, Gaston County athletics director Butch Adams and Forestview soccer coach David Shearer. After that 40-minute meeting, Carpenter faxed a letter of apology to Charlotte Catholic officials.

In the letter, Carpenter confirmed that a CD containing a Hitler speech was played over the PA system. He called it inappropriate. He said he was at the game but did not hear the clip. Carpenter said that it was the first time it had been played and that Shearer was not aware of it.

"Sometime back, coach Shearer and the team started using `On to victory' as a slogan," Carpenter wrote. "We have a German exchange student on our team. He taught our students to say it in German. Some of our more zealous students sought to capture this slogan in German and to play it on the PA. They copied it from a speech by Hitler but could not just copy the `On to victory' and got too much of the speech."

Carpenter's letter did not address the alleged racial epithets, and he did not return calls left by the Observer. Efforts to reach Shearer were not successful. Forestview athletics director Alan Stewart also attended the game but said he didn't hear the speech or any racial remarks.

"It's totally shocking to me," Stewart said.

He said the school had started an investigation but did not expect to take any disciplinary action.

N.C. High School Athletic Association spokesperson Rick Strunk said his office was investigating the incident.

"It's one thing if someone uses the N-word on the field," he said. "It's terrible, but it's a private matter. To use the PA (to play a Hitler speech) is another thing entirely. It's really hard to fathom in this day and time."

Strunk said such action falls under the NCHSAA's rules of conduct inconsistent with a wholesome athletic program. There's not a specific fine for such behavior, but Strunk said a school could be placed on probation, fined or have home games taken away by the NCHSAA board.

Forestview beat Charlotte Catholic 1-0 Saturday and will play Skyland Roberson in the third round Wednesday at Forestview.

Catholic's Hoilett doesn't think enough has been done since Saturday's incidents.

"The letter was lame," Hoilett said. "I get the feeling like, `OK, we messed up and we'll talk about it,' and that's it. You don't toss something like that to the corner. I can't tell them what kind of punitive measures to take, but it doesn't look like there'll be any. But hopefully we can all learn from this and some good can come from it."

Paige Laurie, whose son Blake Laurie plays midfield for Charlotte Catholic, heard the pregame speech from the parking lot, where some of the team parents were tailgating.

"We basically heard Hitler over the intercom and couldn't believe it," she said. "You know when you hear something and aren't sure what you heard? It's like, `Is that what I really heard?' Our boys (on the team) knew something was extremely wrong."

Like Catholic's coach, Laurie doesn't think the letter of apology was enough.

"Absolutely not. Personally, what I'd like to see is them forfeit their game on Wednesday to TC Roberson because they weren't following the (NCHSAA) code of conduct. And at the beginning of each game, you have to read the high school code of conduct. That was not read over the PA system. If it were me and I was principal, that would be the end of the soccer season."

Text of Forestview Principal Robert Carpenter's apology:

On behalf of the Forestview soccer team, Coach Shearer, Forestview High

School, and myself I want to apologize for the playing of the cd during Saturday night's soccer game. It was inappropriate and should not have been played.

Sometime back Coach Shearer and the team started using "On to victory" as a slogan. We have a German exchange student on our team. He taught our students to say it in German. Some of our more zealous students sought to capture this slogan in German and to play it on the PA. They copied it from a speech by Hitler but could not just copy the "on to victory" and got too much of the speech. Student intent was to only play the "on to victory" clip. Unfortunately at one time a good bit of the speech was played on the PA during the pre-game.

Coach Shearer was not aware that they had made this clip and that they intended to play it. I was at the ballgame Saturday night but did not hear it. I also was not aware of the clip. This is the first time the clip was ever used. It certainly is an error in judgement on the part of some of our students. They indicated to me that they had no malice and no intent to hurt others. They were using the slogan to motivate themselves.

We have conducted a full investigation and will continue to do so. We are not taking this lightly and already have in place some precautions for our next game. I apologize for the cd playing. It should never have been played. I will meet with the team to make sure they understand the seriousness of this action. I will further work with our team and fans to emphasize proper game behavior.

I appreciate your bringing this to my attention.

Robert C. Carpenter

Principal

Forestview High School

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Here are a few first-hand accounts from some North Carolina message board posters:

http://www.nc-soccer.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13043

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Today's "Primetime with the Packman" show hosted by Mark Packer and aired on AM1400 in the Midlands has had a field day bashing the school district, the coach, and the team over this obvious display of poor taste.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
It's one of the lead stories on the Charlotte TV stations as well.

goal kick
goal kick
It doesn't surprise me that racism still exists and that people act this way, but to play that before a game is just outrageous. Coaches should lose their job over something like that. Not knowing what is on a warm-up CD is uncalled for.

T
Throw In
Throw In
T
My brother's team played at Forest View and lost in the playoffs. He says they didn't hear or see anything like this.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Did your brother's team have any black players? Were they a Catholic school? Maybe Forestview was saving this message just for Charlotte Catholic.

People are lashing out....wondering what these kids are being taught in high school history class. Obviously they are not paying attention. If it's not MTV, or a reality series aimed at teens, they don't care...they simply tune it out.

I'm not as upset that these kids don't know their history, don't know the meaning of what went on in Nazi Germany.....as I am that these kids just don't seem to possess any moral values.

I'll give you a pass on not knowing about the Holocaust (doesn't say much for the NC public school system).....but can you at least differentiate from what is right and what is wrong? How about having a clue as to what the consequences of bad behavior might be?

It's a crazy world we live in. Grab a gun, pull the trigger. Never mind worrying about:
a) getting caught
b) doing time
c) oh yeah....somebody got killed

C
Brace
Brace
C
Not knowing what is being played before a game is BS! He is the head coach, it is his job to know. If you do not have an adult in the press box, who knows what is approved then you just do not have warm up music. My team wants to play all kinds of music but I have to hear it first and then I give the CD to the person running the sound system. Sounds like they cut the coach some slack and that was his one time freebee. I bet you that they have already put rules in place to safegaurd against this again. I kmow if it happend to me I would be in hot water. It is too bad that this kind of behavior goes on and that the school is not taking more action.

T
Throw In
Throw In
T
I'm certainly not defending Forest View or their coach. I was just saying in the playoff game prior to this my brother didn't see it. Maybe they were saving it up for Charlotte Catholic. I don't think his team had any African-Americans but they did have several players who are Latino.

My brother's email:
We didn't hear anything, however, we got to the field and went out to look at the pitch, and that was like 2 hours before the game was to start. We were there for like 5 minutes and then we went to the locker room. BUT, Forestview were already down there when we started to head to the locker room, dressed out, in their practice jerseys. If anything was done down there, it was done then, when we were in the locker room.

C
Brace
Brace
C

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Hurst,

Could this have happened at FMHS? And, would the coach, AD, or principal have known what was going to happen if you decided to play something like this? I guess what I'm asking is....does anyone edit music or samplings that you play?

I'll guess not. And the only thing keeping it from happening here is your good judgement. But, what if some kids you liked (your kids friends) asked you to play something......would you? Without first listening to it?
And what if something bad was on it?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I guess my point is that it could probably happen anywhere without strict rules and censorship as to what hits the PA.

Even still......you'd like to think that once an adult in charge heard that junk they'd shut it off and it wouldn't have run on for 60 to 90 seconds.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Daddy,

Nobody screens what the PA announcer plays before a FMHS game. The person "spinning the discs" simply exercises good judgement.

If the kids slip in an uncensored rap song, the PA announcer has about 10 seconds to kill it before the AD comes running up the bleachers!

Last edited by Hurst66; 11/08/06 09:38 PM.

T
Throw In
Throw In
T
Update: Forest View lost to T.C. Roberson, from Asheville, NC, 5-1 in last night's playoff match.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup

J
world cup
world cup
J
"One bad mistake does not a school make."

Is it safe to say Master Yoda dropped the ball here?
Yes, me thinks.

I'm also very curious what the Asst. and keeper did to warrant a one game suspension and nothing more (yet)??

C
Brace
Brace
C
Why the Asst coach? If someting happens in a game and the Asst is the one causing the problem the Head coach gets carded. The head coach is respopnsible for everything! Why does he get a pass. Do we know if this was the schools idea or the High school league tp suspend those two people?

Last edited by Coach J; 11/09/06 05:42 PM.
goal
goal
WOW I feel to many people are reading to much into this. Are people mad just becuase it was a speech by Hitler, or becuase there was something racially insensitive, demeaning, or derogatory in the used portion? The kids had a slogan, due to having a German player, it was translated to German. Unfortunate coincidence that it was not only used, but found in a speech by Hitler. Do you all really believe that there is a team of rascist soccer players, one no less that is obviously pretty good? We all know that most soccer players have a decent bit of intelligence, as these kids on this team obviously had in order to find their slogan in a Hitler speech, but being kids, they also lack the ability to sometimes discriminate a good thing from a bad thing. I feel like these kids are being thrown in the fire for an unfortunate mistake, but anyway, that's just one persons opinion.

J
world cup
world cup
J
I think if they have the motto "On to victory" ..english or german, it's fine.

But to play a speech by the Nazi propaganda minister is (I think) insensitive and just unnecessary. Is there a GOOD reason to put that on the PA?

High school age kids ("young adults" right?) can make that judgment. Therefore, they messed up.

Goal
Goal
L-E Dude,

Who is this man you have shrunken and put in your profile gypsy? Do not shrink me, you understand? Is this your book of spells?

Last edited by shut^&play; 11/16/06 01:22 AM.
J
world cup
world cup
J
..you know I couldn't do that to you, Zedd.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
How weird must it have been to have been sitting in the stands or in the parking lot and all of a sudden have this extended burst of Nazi rhetoric blasting thru the air?

I do not think the Gastonia kids are crazed racists or anti-Catholic bigots. I think someone thought they had a really cool idea that linked into their innocent team slogan and they had no idea the s**t storm they were going to stir up.

Which is why kids shouldn't have access to the PA and adults who do should never play stuff the kids give them without previewing it first.

Poor judgement coupled with lack of adult control.

goal
goal
Come on really, do we not quote and even still recognize a founding father and president Andrew Jackson as a leader and great statesman even though he was a slave owner? These kids used a slogan and a quote from a leader(whether recognized, liked, or not) as a pregame warmup. Just becuase it was Hitler, does that really make it insensitive and unnecessary? Yes, they can make that judgement, but their lack of social skills and experience in the matters of historical relevance leaves them in the position they are in. My point is , hey, give them a break, move on, quit trying make more out of it than it is. As an adult, see the innocent side of it.

What's my name?! Chuck Norris doesn't get questions, he gets answers!
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Good point. Although I'm pretty sure the two are not comparable. Hitler brainstormed the murder of 6M people and launched a World War. Old Hickory was an active participant of slavery, America's original sin.

Both grievous.....but one could say Jackson was a product of his times (not justifying) while Hitler created his.

Great articles this past week in Charlotte paper about Wilmington 1898 riots. Kristalnacht(sp)......with a drawl.

goal
goal
Touche!

What's my name?! Chuck Norris doesn't get questions, he gets answers!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard