Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
World Cup
World Cup
It is a long day and long season with 2 JV scrimmages, 12 games, and potentially 6-8 tournament games. Add that to the 4 varsity scrimmages, 16 regular season games, 6-10 tourney games, and a potential 5 playoff games. Thats 57 games for a top tier program and its little bro/sis JV program. Take those JV games and add 10 minutes to them and 220 minutes (almost three more hours) gets added to your season. The coaches don't get paid extra, the officials don't get paid extra, the kids have more chance for injury (but practice as well, I know), less time for homework, and the fans get home later as well. I could probably link it to global warming if you give me enough time.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Aggregate scoring system works well if the teams play each other twice in a season. That is "if" a tie breaker is needed at seasons end to declare a winner or for playoff bracketing. There are deeper parts to aggregate as well, away goals, differentials all that stuff. No OT needed and no Pks.
The PKs do not need to take so long. I believe at the start of second OT the coaches should be ready with the five takers. The first Pk can be taken in one minute and the last in 5 minutes elapsed time. I usually know my five before the match. I have seen the first Pk take up to 10 minutes to start. This is where the time wasting is found.
And yes aggregate has been proven to stall global warming.
My vote playing time can be 40 a half. Just put the rules in to speed the restarts and find the best way to finish.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
It's funny that I get home from our game tonight and read this old thread. My JV team tied Daniel tonight and I am okay with that. We were probably the better skilled team, but Daniel played HARD and really wanted it more than we did. Sometimes that happens and hopefully we learned some things about ourselves tonight. The tie was very appropriate. I am in favor of keeping the game to 30 minutes because a ten minute longer game means we have to start at 5 pm and that is just not possible without getting kids out of school early. We don't want to start varsity games later than 7 since we already don't get home from roadies until 10pm, so I am good with the way it is. Besides, I am as competetive as the next guy, but the purpose of JV is to gain experience. The real deal is with varsity.

J
goal kick
goal kick
J
I know in the Beaufort area, JV matches have always been 35 minutes. This surprises teams that come from outside the Beaufort-Jasper-Hampton area to play. The only rule that I have seen is that junior high matches are limited to 30 minutes.

C
Brace
Brace
C
All JV games are 30 min. This is set by the HSL. This was answerd in the rules meeting.

M
brace
brace
M
Having overtimes and PK's at the varsity level give players the opportunity to learn to deal with the mental pressure associated with overtimes and PK's. Doesn't it make sense that players who have experienced overtimes and PK's during four years of varsity league play are better prepared to handle overtimes and PK's during playoffs? I think so.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
world cup
world cup
PK's to decide a regular season match is ridiculous. Let the draw stand.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
goal
goal

Long time since I've posted on here... I've missed you guys!

Anyway, my two cents on this

Keep the games at 30mins e/w for a couple of reasons which have been highlighted by some of you guys here:

1) Scheduling problems with getting the kids out of class earlier to make games.

2) The most important factor in this in my opinion is that we take care of the KIDS at JV level and do everything that we can to prepare them for varsity competition, whilst protecting their still developing bodies from any unneccesary over-exertion. I appreciate that you might say "ten extra minutes will hardly kill them"... but will it be of any real benefit to them either?

3) If preparing the players for the mental aspects of overtime etc, then two sets of 5 minutes should be sufficient. It's DEVELOPMENTAL at JV level.

Andrew Foley Head Coach Mens Soccer National University of Ireland, Maynooth
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I agree with development 100%, maybe 60 minutes is a good max time for a typical 7-10th grader.
With a longer match time I could develop more players. I tend to keep as many on the roster as I can in the 7-9th grade level becase I don't know where they will be in a few years.
Maybe a honor code that has a 70-80' match time with a max 60 minutes on a player?
On overtime I can go with a draw at JV.

goal
goal
You're right Tim, but the point which I don't think I made is that I feel that a change of focus is needed within the JV game as a whole.

I think the definition of a successful JV team is a Varsity team that is achieving and exceeding its goals. By that statement I mean that the focus of a JV coach is to develop and produce players who can perform under varsity (and higher) conditions. The players need to be prepared for Varsity competition as much as possible but without a focus on game results. It is very similar to the academy system here in Europe; many top level teams are more concerned with who their academy team is beating rather than how many first team players their academy is producing... this is a pitfall into which I think most JV teams fall.

Last edited by Andrew Foley; 03/11/09 12:26 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard