F
I heard U17 B Bridge 2 - 0 CESA for 3rd place

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
u15G CESA 2 CUFC 0
u16G CUFC 1 CESA 0
u17G CESA Premier 0 CESA Challenge 0 (CESA Premier wins in PKs 3-1)

Congratulations to CESA u17G Challenge on a great run. Obviously a very well coached team and a great effort to make it to the finals as the #6 seed, beating the #3 and #2 seeds along the way.

Congratulations to the Lexington u17B on an impressive run and on beating the same team 3 times in one season, not easy to do.

Congratulations to the CESA u15G, CESA u17G premier, CESA u18G on defending their titles for the 2nd year in a row which, given the high expectations and the bullseyes on their backs, is not an easy task.

Congratulations to all the SC State Champions and best of luck at regionals, representing South Carolina!

Last edited by sbs; 12/11/06 12:52 AM.
brace
brace
Congrats to CESA U18G Premier—a decisive 4-0 win for three state championships in a row—for some on this team that is 4 of the last 5 state champs (dating back to another upstate club, SGU)—This group led PL RIII in fewest goals allowed two years in a row also along with placing tied for 2nd this season—Coach Hyslop and these young women have accomplished much—Good luck at Disney and Regionals!

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
S
throw in
throw in
S
Congratulations to the Bridge 88 Gold on their win over CESA this afternoon. The U18 Bridge boys are heading West again. Go Bridge!!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I was really impressed with the domination of the girls program at CESA...With the exception of the U16 group this girls program ran thru state...Even the loss was only a 1-0 game..Some finals were CESA vs CESA..All I want to know is how do we get some of that CESA training down here in the lowcountry?

S
coach
coach
S
>>[coldhardtruth] All I want to know is how do we get some of that CESA training down here in the lowcountry?<<

Call and/or e-mail Andrew Hyslop or Pearse Tormey and tell them what you want. The training in Asheville, Fort Mill, and Columbia occurred because a critical mass of kids joined CESA and asked for it.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
In the 16 Girls final, the oficiating was horrible. CUFC came away the winner and deserved it for how hard they came out and played. Although CUFC did keep CESA from scoring by packing it in the back, the goal that they did score was scored with 4 of their players 5 yards off sides and not called. Another no-call was the backpass to the CUFC keeper that was picked up. CUFC was clearly out-played the entire game and had one shot on goal - the one that went in (and off-sides to boot). Not sure if they will get the benefit of such poor officiating when they go to regionals. The CESA team that they defeated was a quarter-finalist at regionals last year and were definitely more competitive in premier league in the fall of this year than CUFC.

world cup
world cup
Wow....you can't win them all.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
corner kick
corner kick
I was able to watch some of this game and some of the U15 girls final both games which used the same set of officials. Both games had missed calls. If the offside call in the U16G game was made would it have changed the outcome of the game? I not sure, but it would have most likely gone to overtime and maybe penalty kicks. It was a very physical game with both teams having players injured. CUFC looked to have the physical advantage and CESA having the skills advantage. Once CUFC gained the one goal advantage late in the second half they began to protect the lead by taking the ball to the corner and sitting on it. They used this same approach in the semi-final game to protect the lead against the CESA Challenge team. I am not a fan of holding the ball to run out the clock (I didn't like it when Dean Smith used it). I would just rather them keep playing. Just my opinion.

S
Bench
Bench
S
no one says anything about the u15b cesa the only boys team from cesa that won state they have some talent on that team spencer shiff john hunt and benjamin puetter are all the most athletic kids i saw out there this weekend from u15 it shows u that other clubs might be catching up i heard the u18b threw the game because none of them wanted to go to regionals any word on that.

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
how does the u18 go about throwing a game

2004-07 #1 in Nation
P
corner kick
corner kick
P
Snowman: They don't that is just a CESA player on a younger age group making excuses and boasting about himself and his team.

S
coach
coach
S
coladad9: I've got a respectful question that I didn't want to ask until the state championships were all over. How did you come up with the U18G predictions that you made before the state championships? I'm not criticizing it (after all, I didn't make any predictions then), I'm simply trying to understand that prediction given the history and records.

P
corner kick
corner kick
P
Chico: No disrespect taken from that question and completely understandable, I came up with that pick because during the season CUFC and CESA played and CESA came out on top by a score of 2-1 and I have always thought it be very hard to beat the same team twice(And sure I have been a little bias just because the fact that I am from Columbia) But they sure did show me wrong and congratulations to them and their coach Andrew Hyslop, they are a great team and should represent SC well in Oklahoma.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Scotland--
Are you serious when you say that in the 16 Girls Final that CUFC "was clearly outplayed the entire game" by CESA? Come on--a very well played game by both sides deserves better than that. CUFC certainly did "bunker down" after scoring their goal (offsides?--obviously Scotland's view was better than the AR's) but that was only for the last ten minutes or so of the game--and that is a strategy that any team would employ.
Congrats to Coach Dick Hiller and CUFC on a well deserved win. If anyone was present for the awards ceremony and saw the emotion from Coach Hiller, you could appreciate how special this win was to this group of young ladies and their families to overcome the adversity they did this year.
Good luck in Oklahoma.

S
coach
coach
S
coladad9: Makes sense. The CUFC U18G team is an awfully good team. Last I looked they had broken the top #50 in terms of one national ranking service -- they have some very talented players.

J
Brace
Brace
J
This reply is for Scotland....
How on earth can 4 players be offsides? That is impossible. They can be in an offsides position, but not necessarily offsides. You can have an entire team in an offsides position, and as long as the ball doesn't get passed to one of them, they are not offsides. You need to learn the rules a bit more before you go off spouting and making yourself look ignorant. Sounds like you are just upset that CESA lost. Oh well, there is always next year!

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
corner kick
corner kick
The 4 players were caught behind the defensive line when the CESA team pushed forward. The pass to the one player who took the shot was in an "offside position". But as with all games calls are made correctly, incorrectly, and not at all. As with most players and parents we hope every game is fair and competitive. Good Luck to both teams next year as they will meet again in the RIII league.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Offside is defined by where the attacking player is at the time the ball is last touched by her teammate. Fans typically watch the ball and look up after it is played. If the defense was in the process of moving up quickly, players who were in an onside position at the time the ball was last touched may have been in an offside position by the time the fans looked up.

From where I was, I had a pretty good view of this play. I saw one player in an offside position who was not in on the play. The player who took the shot was in an onside position when the ball was passed to her.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I watched most of this game and if I recall correctly this game was around seventy minutes long...Games are not won or loss on one play

S
kick off
kick off
S
Games are not won or loss on one play????????

You hear that statement a lot. I don't really think anyone believes it. It happens all the time in most sports. Last second shot at the top of the key to win the game. Score tied bottom of the nine two outs. Grove pitch that's hit out of the park to win the game. It goes on and on

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Those are events that happen throughout the course of nine innings or four quarters..Both teams had ample time to make something happen..There are other events in the game that led to a 1-0 score also..not just nine or ten seconds of play..The no offsides call did not stop the other team from scoring..Did it?

S
kick off
kick off
S
Those are events that happen throughout the course of nine innings or four quarters..Both teams had ample time to make something happen....

Exactly. But they couldn't make something happen. Often your best games are when two teams are so closely matched. When both teams are on there game that day. That it takes a mistake by one team for the other team to cash in to make the difference. BUT the other team has to be able to cash in that moment the mistake is made. Other wise it's not that one play that made the difference.
That one play can come at the end of the game, middle or beginning of the game.
Now granted you don't see these types of games all the time but you do see them quite often. Provide you watch more than one type of sport.

I wasn't at the game mentioned and I'm not commenting on the call. Just disagree with the statement that Games are not won or loss on one play

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
how about defense wins championships? The score was 1-0
Maybe there was great saves by the keeper or the backline played their hearts out..Maybe the game was won by a multitude of great plays on offense and defense

K
corner kick
corner kick
K
sportfreak, the cliche that refutes your point is when teams say "they need to be in a position to win the game." No one can predict the "winning" play or last second grand slam or three pointer, but a team can play well enough to be in a position that a "winning" play is possible. Getting in that position wins the game as much as the winning play. For example, a last second three from halfcourt in a game that is lost by 20, or a bottom of the ninth grand slam in a loss is the same play as ina winning game, but the game is lost--the single play does not win the game.

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.--James Joyce I don't care about history...cuz that's not where I wanna be--Joey Ramone
S
kick off
kick off
S
I agree. It doesn't have to be made by an offensive play. Could be defensive as well. Could be a series of touches so to speak by several players on one particular play that lead to the win. I agree with what you're saying. But to win a game you have to have 1 more score than your opposition. It's that one play that makes the diffence.

Now if you have a game where offensive, defensive, goalie and every one else plays fantastic on both teams. The game though ends in a tie. Then what you have is a great game to watch and talk about. But you don't have a winner. You don't have that one play that made the difference.

goal
goal
Coach P,

I agree with you completely. Most fans are so intent on watching the area around where the ball actually is, that when a player makes a long pass over the defense, or a through ball to a teammate who is making a run, many times the entire back line has already moved ten yards forward by the time those fans swing their heads around to see where the ball is going.

Add to that the fact that many fans don't understand that a player can actually be in the offside position but not be penalized for it if they are not considered by the official to be gaining an advantage by being in that position.

Heck, I rarely see REFEREES who (appear to me to) take that into consideration - so, I certainly don't expect most parents to "get" it. I just wish fans would not be so vocal about rules they don't completely understand.

T
kick off
kick off
T
Soccerboy:

I'm assuming from your username that you are, in fact, a boy (teenager, no less), DID ANYONE EVER TEACH YOU RESPECT FOR YOUR ELDERS? In any case: you don't need to go on flaming people no matter what age you are.

There are three types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't.
J
Brace
Brace
J
The Book....your assumption would be wrong. I have been using the name soccerboy for quite some time now. I haven't seen my teens since the early 90's. I don't have a whole lot of respect for people that don't understand the rules of soccer but yet spout off on some subject that proves they don't understand the game. It so annoys me as an official to hear people yelling that a kid was offsides....on their defensive half of the field. Learn the rules, become better fans of soccer. That was my point. I didn't "flame" him that bad, just pointed something out. I could have been a lot meaner, but I don't have a dog in the fight per se, so I was just pointing out the fallacy in his argument.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I don't have a whole lot of respect for people that don't understand the rules of soccer but yet spout off on some subject that proves they don't understand the game. - Soccerboy

Quote:

...as long as the ball doesn't get passed to one of them, they are not offsides. - Soccerboy

A player does NOT have to have the ball passed to her/him to be guilty of offside. For example, Brian McBride was offside in the US World Cup match vs Italy on Beasley's shot. The ball was not passed to him but his presence was, "in the opinion of the referee", interfering with the goalkeeper's ability to get to the ball. Not a problem in an onside position, but it constitutes an offside infraction if you are in an offside position.

FIFA Law 11, Offside, says:

"A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play or
  • interfering with an opponent or
  • gaining an advantage by being in that position."

Last edited by Coach P; 12/24/06 01:14 AM.
J
Brace
Brace
J
Coach P...Don't try to make it look like I don't understand the rules, as I know that is what you are attempting to do by your above quotes of me. I am well aware of the interference clause. I was just pointing out in a previous item posted on this board that just because somebody is in an offside position, that they are not necessarily offsides themselves. The past poster did not qualify his post by saying that somebody was interfering with the keeper in his situation. I was just addressing his situation. In his situation, nobody would be offsides. The only time I have had to call somebody offsides when they did not have the ball was when they ran into the keeper as the other gentleman was taking a shot. If you want to argue semantics, I can do so.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Soccerboy,
Acually, you have just made my point. You did not give Scotland the same consideration you are asking for. You assumed that he did not know the rules because he said there were 4 players offside. He may very well have meant that there were 4 players in an offside position. You took his statement literally and jumped all over it, but you don't like your statement being taken literally.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Just to clarify, my point is simply that, in brief comments in a message board setting, the statement:

“…the goal that they did score was scored with 4 of their players 5 yards off sides and not called.”

is no more indicative of a lack of rules knowledge than is the statement:

“...as long as the ball doesn't get passed to one of them, they are not offsides.”

J
Brace
Brace
J
What would you have me do Coach P? Do you want me to get down and beg for forgiveness for making a blanket statement like that? You have proved my point by the above quote....you can't have 4 of their 5 players offsides without a ball being passed to them. It's as simple as that. If you look at scotland's origional post, it was full of the blame game with the referees rather than the possibility that it was a good play and the AR was in the correct position to make the call, and the center made the correct call by allowing play to continue. His post was full of victimization and condemnation rather than hey, our defense just made a mistake and stepped up a split second too late for the trap to work. I get so tired of hearing all the same crap when I am refereeing or even watching a game for enjoyment. The fans can be so ignorant sometimes. Then again you can have a bad referee that seems to not know the rules either. I would doubt that anybody would use a bad referee in a state cup final game. Here in IL the top referees that are at least 5's or 4's are used in those games. I would assume that that is the same for SC state cup finals matches.

You also need to understand "in the opinion of the referee". Since I am a referee in my opinion I deemed that there was no inteference in relation to this example

As for this topic...you may not agree with what I said, oh well. I don't know what you point is by continuing to attack me. I have not attacked you. Do you know this scotland character? Just let it go, I wasn't that rude, his statement was pretty out there. I am not going to comment on this any further.

Last edited by Soccerboy; 12/30/06 06:07 PM.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Actually, if you have four players in an offsides position near the goal and interfering with the keeper's ability to react to the ball, they can be ruled offsides whether the ball is passed to them or not--and nothing that hinges on "the opinion of the referee" is ever "as simple as that." Fact is, offsides is a rather complex combination of situations, and any simple, one-sentence explanation is bound to be inaccurate in some way. We all just hope the guys calling the match can MAKE the right call, even if they're not so good at explaining it.

While you guys have definitely been the most entertaining thing on the board for a while, maybe it's time to shake hands and admit both sides were inaccurate without being defensive about it?

I've got good news and bad news...
hat-trick
hat-trick
No attack intended. Just thought the statement about not knowing the rules was a little strong.

G
bench
bench
G
In all of Chico's data, one thing I didn't notice was goal differential from this year versus last year. Just wondering, but can anyone explain the CUFC U18g loss of 4-0 to CESA U18g in this years final? Is this not the same team that lost last years final 2-0? Was it the "better" coaching, addition of "better" players, or the "better" club structure and training at CUFC? Or maybe it's a simple case of CESA improving while CUFC actually declined versus the former CSC. Two goals better is a major feat in soccer. With the merged club and merging of the best players, this did not seem to work in the U18g favor, if you compare last years finals performance against this years performance. Did CESA add some players on this years squad that made such an impact?
I found this an interesting question, as I believe this was the only group to meet last years opponent and fare that much worse.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard