Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#74960 12/15/06 05:09 PM
Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
“Why Do You Coach” by Jason Stein, basketball and tennis coach at Sonora HS in La Habra, CA.

(The following was copied from The FCA Coach’s Bible.)

“Likewise, encourage the young men to be sensible about everything. Set an example of good works yourself, with integrity and dignity in your teaching. Your message is to be sound beyond reproach, so that the opponent will be ashamed, having nothing bad to say about us.” Titus 2:6-8

One of my players committed a costly turnover during a basketball game, and I screamed, “How could he be so stupid?” I had officially hit rock bottom as a coach. Winning games had become so important to me that I publicly demeaned a player. My will as a coach needed to be broken and conformed to God’s will. So I spent some time with God and asked Him, “Should I still be coaching?” God graciously provided me the answer in Jeremiah 7:3. “Correct your ways and your deeds, and I will allow you to live in this place.” When I knew that God wanted me to coach, I needed to ask, “Why do I coach?” Was it for the wins or my personal glory? Or, was it to have an impact for Christ?
The answer to my question, “Why do I coach?” came from Les Steckel, president and CEO of FCA. Coach Steckel shared that he had been through a similar struggle in his coaching career. He eventually learned that his coaching needed to be” all about relationships.”
As coaches we hold one of the most influential positions in our society today. Athletes look to us to provide leadership, encouragement, love, and guidance. Imagine the eternal impact our coaching would have if it were “all about relationships.”

1. Write down the 5 most important reasons you coach. Try to be as honest as possible.
2. What change in your coaching do you need to make to give it more eternal value?
3. What is more important to you: winning games or winning souls?
4. Extra reading: Matthew 6:33, 16:26; 1 Corinth 3:12-15, 10:31; Colossians 3:23-24

Lord, I thank You for giving me the gifts and abilities to coach. Please forgive me for using these abilities for my own glory. I pray that You will help me use my influence as a coach to build relationships that will further Your kingdom. Amen

Last edited by Wayne; 12/15/06 05:10 PM.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
God’s Word Is Perfect for Coaches
From the FCA Coach’s Bible for Apr 30
By Mark Stockman

“All scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Coaches have it tough. Let’s be honest. There is a stigma that we are all ex-jocks and not very good classroom teachers. There are many stereotypes about coaches. They are teachers who get all the breaks without really working hard in the classroom. ..They get to miss faculty meeting…They eat meals with their teams that are paid for by the school. ..They sit down all day and hand out worksheets to their students…They think winning ball-games is the most important thing in the world. For some coaches these stereotypes may be true, but I know many where that is not the case.

I believe a Christian coach has an awesome responsibility. We get to form and shape and mold the minds and bodies of our nation’s future—mentally, physically, and –most importantly—spiritually. The most incredible thing about that responsibility is that we have “God’s Game Plan,” the bible, to lead us. If we truly try to understand it, study it, claim it, memorize it, meditate upon it, pray through it, and apply it to our lives and the lives of our athletes, God will be glorified. Lives will be changed and the negative stereotypes mentioned above will not be said about us.

1. Do you make an effort every day to hear, read, and study “God’s game Plan?”
2. Do you believe that God’s Word is correct and true? If your answer is not a resounding yes, than Satan has a foothold on you and God cannot truly bless you or your ministry as He wants to.
3. Extra reading: Proverbs 30:5, Matthew 22:29, Acts 17:11, 2 Timothy 2:15, Hebrews 4:12.

Wayne #74962 04/30/07 05:59 PM
A
throw in
throw in
A
Nice post

Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Go to this link and look to the right. Click on "Sign up for our daily devotionals." Then you will get one each day.
http://fca.org/Coaches/

Wayne #74964 05/18/07 04:23 PM
Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace

FCA Impact Play: "Lessons on the Field"

READY:
"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to
the glory of God."
-1 Corinthians 10:31 (NKJV)

SET:
A godly coach is a rare but valued blessing in American sports. Our
son's little league coach is one such blessing. His coaching
overflows with life lessons that will bear fruit far beyond the
baseball diamond. As I listen to his challenges, I know that I am
hearing the wisdom of the Holy Spirit right along with the kids.

"There are no spectators here. Everyone has a job."

Just as each member of a baseball team has a position, each
individual has a role to play in life. Our words, our actions, our
attitudes--all have an impact on the hearts of people around us. God
has given each of us the job of sharing His love with others. There
is no time to sit around watching others; our work is ongoing and has
eternal consequences.

"Back each other up!"

We are all imperfect people. We will all drop a ball or miss an
occasional important play, and we desperately need to know that
others are in the game with us and are ready to back us up. And just
as we need the support of those around us, we need to be alert enough
to back up others when they need us.

"Talk to your teammates. Tell them your intentions."

The spectacular crash of two eager outfielders going after the same
ball is a perfect example of the "collision" that happens when we
misunderstand the needs or intentions of others. As a player, we need
to step up to the responsibilities that come our way and call out "I
got it!" As a teammate, we must respect the coach's ability to assign
tasks and then listen to the intentions of others.

"Practice lazy, play lazy."

Sharpened skills, perfected timing and a working knowledge of rules
are the results of diligent practice. The game, then, showcases the
results of that preparation. The details of our days are the practice
field for applying God's word. A life lived moment by moment on the
wisdom of God will hold together even in the fiercest battle.

It has been a joy to listen to this coach and watch him work with
these young men. It has given me a fresh look at the potential beauty
of every sport. Today, let's follow our Master Coach's admonitions
and do everything "for the glory of God."

GO:
1. How good of a teammate are you in this game of life?
2. Are you backing others up or cutting them down? (Ephesians 4:29)
3. Are you sharing in the work of or critiquing other workers?
(Matthew 9:37)

WORKOUT:
Matthew 22: 34-40
Colossians 3:23-24

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Billie Jo Youmans is a wife and homeschool mother in rural New York
State. Her son Rusty is a little league player for "Coach Livermore"
in the local civic association.

Now it's your Turn. Write your own FCA Devotional. . . Go to
www.fca.org and click the "Submit your own FCA devo!" link on the
right side.

---------------------------------
Share the Victory!
Give someone a gift subscription
to FCA's national magazine,
Sharing the Victory.
www.sharingthevictory.com
---------------------------------

Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
SUCCESS VS. SIGNIFIGANCE

Coaches, by definition, are driven- driven to become successful, to win games, to win championships. Most of us find out at some point in our careers that we can’t win them all. And, despite even our best efforts sometimes we must accept losses as a part of life. But, many of us are tricked by the great deceiver into thinking that our self-worth is determined by our records and the number of trophies we leave behind when we are gone. We confuse happiness with joy and peace. Happiness is momentary, fleeting. Joy and peace can last forever. Happiness is dependent on what we can get, mostly for ourselves. Joy and peace come from what we give to others and to God.
As a coach, how can you learn to pursue joy and peace rather than mere happiness?
Just a few years ago my pursuit of happiness led me to rock bottom. After competing in three straight Final Fours without a championship, there followed a couple of years where I looked to get that coaching “edge” by looking to other coaches who were well-known for their records. I thought if I could be more like Dorrance, Lombardi and others I would be a better coach, more successful. God was setting me up to learn the truth. The next two years were complete misery. Losses mounted, players rebelled, parents called for my head. And, I gave it to them. In 2002 I quit twice.
But, God had other plans. He had broken me down, something He often does to make us trust Him. My athletic director refused to accept my resignation the first time and then finally asked me to stay on another year because it was too late to find a qualified replacement. God was at work. So, I stayed on. But I knew something had to change. In order for me to stay at this I had to find real joy and peace.
I found it in an unsuspecting place, the bible. I never thought of it as a coaching manual. But, I came to realize it does have ALL the answers. I began a study using the book Kings and Coaches by Al Schierbaum and soon found all I needed. I realized that we often lock God out of parts of our lives, letting him have a piece of our Sundays or on special occasions, funerals or religious celebrations. Paul says in Galatians 5: 22-23 that, “Joy and peace come from love and trust in the Lord.” God wants us to give our entire lives to Him. I see many coaches who think that God is something to put on a shelf and dust off only in time of need. Maybe they see it as a sign of weakness to rely on Him. Most of these coaches are the “loose cannons” living from explosion to explosion, without real peace. They live and die with every game’s outcome. You can spot them. Their frustrations from a loss bring them far to low and their victory celebrations are far too high and short-lived.
God wants our whole lives. “Commit your way to the Lord, trust in Him and He will act.” Psalm 37:5. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not rely on your own understanding.” Proverbs 3:5. If we do this God says we will have abundant life, peace and joy. Those who deny that often end in destruction. “…their end is destruction: their god is their stomach; their glory is in their shame. They are focused on earthly things.” Phil 3:18-19. God warns us against focusing on earthly things in Matthew 6: 19-21 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is there will your heart be also.”

Where is your heart? If it is on seeking God, he promises YOU abundant life here on earth and in heaven. Do you coach first for God, modeling His ways? Does your team know you are a man of God? Are you sure? This is perhaps the most SIGNIFIGANT impact you can make on the life of a young person, to let them see God in you and know that He is your priority. This is a way of planting seeds for Him. These seeds will be harvested by God for an eternity. (Christian, God expects that of you). What greater trophy is there than to get to heaven and find that you played a part in helping others to get there? THAT is storing up treasures in heaven! Nothing is more significant.

Relevant scriptures:
Psalm 37:3-5

John 10:10

Ephesians 6:10-18

Link to God's Yellow Pages so you can look up the above scriptures.

corner kick
corner kick
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Stewie- "Where did you graduate again, university of duhhhh?"
Wayne #74967 09/28/07 06:44 PM
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Great stuff. After reflecting on it I almost feel it needs to go under the club soccer forum and rather than "why do I coach" it could be rewritten to "why do I attend my child's soccer games". I have personally attended several games lately that some parents could have used a copy of this.

Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Thanks guys!

Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
DAVID WAS NEVER AND UNDERDOG

It has been said over and over that the world loves an underdog, the US
Olympic Hockey Team in 1980, Rocky, and look at the Appalachian State
football team against Michigan. We all look at underdogs with amazement
when they overcome odds and come out on top. We call these David and
Goliath match-ups, a reference to the Old Testament story of David who
slew a giant with as sling and a stone.
But, was this young teenager really an underdog?
This scrawny teenager, who was not yet old enough to fight the
Philistines was not anyone’s first choice to go into battle. His father
forbade it. He was only allowed to take provisions for his older
brothers to the front line. At the front lines he found a bunch of
cowards masquerading as warriors. They were afraid of the Philistine
Giant who mocked their impotence. So David had enough and took the giant
down with one stone. He was the ultimate underdog, right? Not so fast.
It was not chance that selected David for this task. It was God. God
sees the heart. Unlike us he knows what is on the inside of every
person. God chose David because of David’s complete faith in God. That
faith had led David to defeat lions and bears bare-handed and now it
would bring down a monster whose shield weighed more than David. David
put on the full armor of God and without thinking twice slew Goliath
with one stone. He didn’t even wear outer armor himself, instead
choosing to believe that God’s protection was all he needed.
If you think about it, David was always favored to win, having been
chosen by God through faith to be exactly where he was and who he was.
Goliath did not have a chance. David’s faith was bigger than any of his
monsters. Without fear, hesitation, or excuse he stepped in and proved
how big his God was.
There are two lessons to be learned here that can translate into
coaching…When choosing your teams this year, ask God to show you who he
wants you to work with. It may not be the biggest, strongest, most
gifted player that he chooses. But, God sees the heart. He knows and
understands every thought. Those who seek Him will find Him. Those who
reject Him, he will forsake. Earnestly pray that God will help choose
your team. He never makes mistakes.
The second lesson is that, with God on your side, through faith and
prayer, there are no giants that are too big to slay. Your giants are
only as big as your faith allows them to be. As long as God is the
biggest thing in your life, your giants will be small things.

I Samuel 17

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard