Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75213 12/29/06 06:45 AM
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
Just for fun. 1976 I was eleven my mom took me to a Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL)game. Me and my two brothers replayed that game many many times in our backyard. I was just so amazed at the size of the pitch and the speed of the players. How far they could kick and how perfect the passing was. I remember them juggling, coaches use to frown on this telling us it wasnt ball control. They could dribble looking up! I dont have a clue to the score or who they played against. But I remember the joy and wonder it gave (gives) to me. It was simple and I loved it. Pele in the US, soccer was about to explode. It may not have exploded but for me it began blooming. Florida, summer, soccer.
Lets hear some more

world cup
world cup
Philadelphia Fury vs. New York Cosmos at Veterans Stadium circa 1975. They kicked a few balls into the stands prior to the match and I actually "earned" one after a hard-fought wrestling match on the aisle steps. I wore an Admiral Philadelphia Fury jersey that I still have which I purchased at Soccer Locker in Voorhees, NJ.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #75215 12/29/06 03:36 PM
L
goal kick
goal kick
L
My dad took me to see the Chicago Sting play the New York Cosmos at Soldier Field circa 1977. I was not a soccer fan by any stretch at that time. I don't remember much of the game, but I remember the atmosphere. All of the PA announcements were repeated in both Spanish and Polish. Almost no one around us spoke English (including my dad and I). At every mention of the name Pele, and at his every touch of the ball, the crowd went nuts. I'm pretty sure the home team lost, but no one seemed to care. At the time, I couldn't really understand the passion for this game. But now, it all makes sense.

Growing up in Chicago (in the pre-Michael Jordan days), there were only a few sports superstars of our own to feel passionate about, but I got the opportunity to see a lot of them on opposing teams. I spent many nights in the old Chicago Stadium cheering on hockey and basketball heros. As crazy as the atmosphere was in the Stadium second balcony during playoff games, I'll always remember that meaningless regular season soccer game as one of the loudest and most colorful crowds ever.

lurker #75216 12/29/06 03:42 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
In the U.S.
Pele's first game as a New York Cosmos in Randall's island.

(What a crappy field!!!)

I went to all the Cosmos games and had met many of the players.

J
world cup
world cup
J
Summer of 2004. DC United vs Colorado Rapids in RFK Stadium.
I had just graduated HS and was living with a friend in Frederick for the summer. We took a day trip with two other friends to the District for the game.
55,000 capacity..probably only 6-8,000 there to watch a nil-nil draw.

I couldn't get enough though. The fervor of the Screaming Eagles section (banners, horns, drums, etc). Being on the edge of my seat as the ball hit the outside netting or skimmed the crossbar. The crowds reaction to Freddy Adu's substitution in the 60th minute. It was stuff I'd only imagined..that I'd transplanted from the TV to my mind during my playing days.
It was real on that day though. Not only did I witness it, but I was part of it.

By my current standards it is one of the more uneventful games I've witnessed, but it will always be one of my favorites.

World Cup
World Cup
My first national team game was one to remember as me and Ryan Roseberry made the treck up to newly renovated Soldier Field in Chicago. We were playing England and those fans were crazy. Dribbling soccer balls down the middle of down town, the cheers, the songs, the signs, and the drinking! Unmatched enthusiasm and love! We lost, but man it was a great stadium and I think I treasured the warm-ups the most. Seeing those guys joke around and put on a show for the crowd...I'll never forget it.

Link Copied to Clipboard