Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Just got finished watching the West Coast H.S. Soccer Classic Championship game between Canoga Park (CA) and Loyola (CA). Good stuff to watch California prep soccer in the middle of winter. The Canoga Park Hunters took the tourney title 3-0 over the Loyola Cubs. Canoga Park was predominantly a Hispanic team and is the first Los Angeles city team to win the five-year old tourney. Kudos to Fox Soccer Channel for televising the event.

Makes you ready for the kickoff of the S.C. high school season to kick off! Just three more weeks!

Happy New Year!

Canoga Park Senior High

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
What are the chances of FSC doing the Palmetto Cup????

I would exppect it to be just as good....

coach
coach
Tha Canoga team practices 5 days a week at 6 am before classes. Incredible speed and quick passing team, and very disciplined. No S.C. club or high school team could compete with that team.

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Not so fast my friend (my best Lee Corso imitation implied) ... I watched the final 50 minutes of the match and kept commenting that they "weren't that special" ... Canoga did some nice combo play and were very Latin in their approach -- lots of 1v1 before giving the ball up, but their play was no faster than that of the top South Carolina teams year-in-year-out in my opinion ... I certainly think that last years Northwestern side could have paced them quite fairly!

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

What are the chances of FSC doing the Palmetto Cup????

We will see as this certainly demands looking into.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Great game well played. Yes the Latin play possesion, skill, disipline, teamwork. The turning with the ball was great and the maturity was nice to see. Sure it would be great to see one of our teams play Canoga Park. Maybe we can subbuteo it with them.
I am sure FSC would entertain the idea of playing our final match. I am not 100% sure but it appeared to be what 300-400 people in the stands for the CA final? I honestly didnt think to look. What was our attendance in the final anyone? I guess the viewing share is the bottom line but who knows worth a shot?

world cup
world cup
The game appears slower on TV than it does in real life. I'm sure they are very quick. I watched about 45 minutes of this match and I was very impressed with Canoga Park. They have tremendous skill and seem very athletic as well. striker's comment might not be too far off.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
coach
coach
These news articles indicate that the tournament broadcast
was seen nationwide. That would be great stuff for the Palmetto Cup to get coverage for the final game. Anyone have contacts at FSC? Berson maybe?

http://www.dailynews.com/preps/ci_4927529

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/la-spw-hsboyssoccer31dec31,0,5567464.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-highschool

Last edited by 2004striker; 01/02/07 03:03 PM.
World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Canoga Park just put itself in the Winter FAB 50 national title running by winning the West Coast High School Classic on Saturday, topping Loyola, 3-0, in the final.

Canoga Park (9-0-1), the CIF-Los Angeles Section runner-up a year ago, went 6-0-1 during the four-day event.

Willy Velasquez gave the Hunters a 1-0 lead in the final with a first-half goal, assisted by Omar De La Piedra.

In the 58th minute, Salvador Hernandez served up a corner that De La Piedra redirected with a glancing header into the upper far post for a 2-0 lead.

In the closing minutes, Hernardez, who is commited to Cal State Northridge, lined up a sure left-footer for the final goal.

Canoga Park was the first LA team to enter the 32-team WCHSC. It's victory will vault the 9-0-1 Hunters into the Top 5 in the next FAB 50 with a legitimate shot at a national crown.

In the semifinals, Loyola edged Santa Ana Valey on PKs following a 1-1 draw. Canoga Park defeated defending champion Clovis West, 2-1, in the other semifinal.

Loyola won the WCHSC in 2004 and was a semifinalist in 2005.

The Cubs had a chance to equalize late in the first half, but Casey Buckley's attempt was smothered by Hunters' first-half keeper Ryan Thomas. Loyola dominated play for the first five minutes of the second half, and two great chances were stopped by second-half keeper Cesar Ventura.

After surviving Loyola's early second-half rush, Canoga Park dominated possession over the final 30 minutes.

Canoga Park is 32-1-1 in its last 34 matches.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

Tha Canoga team practices 5 days a week at 6 am before classes. Incredible speed and quick passing team, and very disciplined. No S.C. club or high school team could compete with that team.

Striker, as I recall from a source, the Northwestern team of last year practiced 5 days a week at 6am before classes and at 4pm after classes for two months before the bulk of the season with the morning sessions purely fitness and also did this during another part of the season. I'm sure many programs do this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard