Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75526 01/18/07 02:05 PM
coach
OP Offline
coach
I was not aware that GA high schools have mandated state co-champs in all its HS sports. No shootouts, PKs to declare one winner...........

Mad About… mandated co-champs
By Darryl Maxie | Monday, January 8, 2007, 11:26 AM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
It has been a few weeks now since the unprecedented occurred — two championship ties in the same Georgia High School Association season. But the pattern remains the same.

First, there are the fans who watch the clock drain away and sit in anticipation for the overtime that never comes. Followed, of course, by the same befuddlement that accompanies a balk call at a major league game. Fans spend all game clamoring for a balk and then when it happens, they say, “What just happened?”

So it is when co-champions are announced to a smattering of boos.

Then, of course, there’s the ceremonial handwringing. The “we’ve-got-to-do-something-about-this” indignation fades into the “well-if-they-couldn’t-settle-it-in-48-minutes” cop out which then fades into some lawmaker thinking, “Hey, here’s an opportunity to score political points,” which ultimately winds up back at the fans’ “When does spring practice begin again?”

And it’s all forgotten until it happens again. What do we need to get real action on this? Five championship ties in the same season?

Why, in what is supposed to be the most important game of the season, in high school sports’ marquee event, is a tie good enough? Five weeks of playoff buildup, including a trip to the Georgia Dome, peters out into let’s-everybody-go-home-happy rhetoric. If everybody going home happy is the goal, why have the playoffs at all? Spread the happiness a little thinner, why don’t we?

The rule dates to 1948, but its use has been so infrequent as to make it seem like it’s stood the test of time for 59 years.

“Just because it was good enough for grandpa in 1948 doesn’t mean it’s good enough for us in 2007,” state Sen. John Douglas told the Rockdale Citizen.

That’s the point. It wasn’t good enough in 1948. Or 1958, when Avondale and Thomasville tied. Or 1978, when Griffin and Valdosta tied.

And it won’t be good enough in 2008, which is when I’m betting the status quo next gets questioned. When does spring practice begin again?

http://www.ghsa.net/index.php?q=node/177

World Cup
World Cup
This was discussed several years ago on the Message Board in regards to soccer. The Georgia State soccer finals ended with several co-champions and there was a lot of ridicule from the media pundits. Apparently, a year or two before this happened, a player missed a penalty kick in a shootout situation and was so distraught that he committed suicide and the "miss" was pinned as the reason. Whether it was or not, it sent a message to the prep soccer community in the Peach State and it was decided that championship matches that were tied at the end of regulation would end just that way.

Now then, I'm a proponent of ties during the regular season, but clearly see the need for a "winner" during the playoffs and finals. However, the SCHSSCA proposal to allow draws during the season was tabled and voted down by athletic directors of the SCHSL. Oh well.

J
world cup
world cup
J
Forgive me for being lazy.. but you guys seem familiar with the GA system.

In the Georgia playoffs.. before you get to the final..how do they determine who will advance if the match is tied at the end of regulation & overtime?

Do they play unlimited overtimes until there is a winner that can advance? If so, why not do this for the Championship?

Am I missing something here?

World Cup
World Cup
L-E Dude, that's what is ironic about the situation. In Georgia during the regular season and playoffs games are decided by overtime and penalty kick methods. Take a look at the Marist Academy schedule from 2006.

http://216.27.84.134/cgi-bin/sicrtsc.pl?...s&Season=06

coach
OP Offline
coach
Dudeman,
I was not aware of this either.
For your edufimication -
http://www.ghsa.net/?q=node/649
For Area and State competition, if the score is still tied at the end of the second overtime period, the penalty kick procedure will be used to determine the winner with the exception of the State Championship game in which case there will only be two five-minute overtime periods with no penalty kicks. If the score is still tied after two overtime periods there will be State co-champions.

Last edited by 2004striker; 01/18/07 10:17 PM.
J
world cup
world cup
J
I wonder how long that "logic" will hold up.

I would think with Georgia being a fairly successful soccer state that there would be a substantial lobby to reverse this.

Link Copied to Clipboard