Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
Recently, I've spent some time with faith-based sports organizations. My perspective on them is that regardless of the specifics of the faith to which they adhere, that they have a powerful attraction based on their focus on character.

In my experience, the folks at the "real" faith based organizations view the YMCA as a non-faith-based alternative.

At their request, I've spoken to several faith-based organizations about affiliation. I could not recommend the SCYSA to any of them (although I did lay out the SCYSA as an alternative). Is that due to my belief that the SCYSA isn't doing enough to grow youth soccer? In part, but only in part.

An affiliating organization has to bring value beyond insurance to the table (since most offer insurance). The SCYSA doesn't bring much differentiation to the table at the recreation level, and it requires a lot of hoops to be jumped through, and in the long-term it is more expensive (i.e., not just per-player registration but tournaments, nickel and diming, and the like). In addition, I've now seen the organization act in ways I considered to be "bad faith" with regard to making decisions based more on politics than on the bylaws and rules and regulations of the organization. If the SCYSA were out there actively trying to grow the sport, I'd be recommending them to anyone and everyone for the good of the game. I can't do that at this point.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I don't think any of the rec groups in York COunty have any affiliation. I think they are all pretty much independent.

Springs, RH Parks and Rec, Tega Cay Rec, Roar, etc......none of them are SCYSA or AYSO or anything like that.

Tega Cay is SCYSA for classic and challenge.....but I doubt they register their rec kids.

I guess if I'm an "Athletic Director" at Leroy Springs or Gold Hill Y or soemthing like that....my question to SCYSA would be what value do you offer me? If I have to pay $8 per kid or whatever to register.....what do I get for that? Pls don't say insurance.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Saw a lacrosse practice going on at Springfield MS the other day......is that CLub or school?

I guess my question is.........lacrosse is starting to show up here and compete with us for field availability. Perhaps this is a reason for numbers decline.

world cup
world cup
Lacrosse says they are affiliated with Fort Mill HS but I don't know how? I don't think there is a high school lacrosse league in South Carolina.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
H
brace
brace
H
i had heard they were going to have one at ft mill.no facts to it,just a rumor.

Last edited by soccer40; 01/26/07 06:50 PM.
World Cup
World Cup
Lacrosse is not a sanctioned sport by the S.C. High School League for 2006-07.

S.C. Lacrosse Youth League

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I guess I was wondering who was using the fields there. I picked Lil' Daddy up from hoops practice the other day and they were having at it on the new football field.

With the lack of soccer fields up here....access to big, flat, green space is precious.

world cup
world cup
Thanks Kyle.....I don't see FM listed.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
My daughter's high school has had boys and girls lacrosse clubs for at least 4 years.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
The Charleston area has a Lacrosse club that travels the state playing other clubs....Just like club soccer but even a smaller crowd

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard