Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#76061 01/31/07 03:40 PM
goal
OP Offline
goal
Even though we blew it in the WC this is an exciting time for the national team, new coach and alot of young players. In the upcoming game against Mexico this young team will face their first true challange (I doubt it will be a Mexican team at full strength though).

One player I cannot wait to see face off against Mexico is Justin Mapp. He has a style that is very similuar to Clint Dempsey and I am a big fan of that. I also like Kenny Coppers size, he is a force. Could see him getting a goal of a header vs Mexico.

So here it is almost a week early my final score:

USA 2
Mexico 1

Alot of youth but I think they can pull it off with the amount of talent on the team vs a also weak Mexico team.

I hate floppers
goal
OP Offline
goal
Before this game I look at the roster and see a few missing players i wonder about....

Brian Ching - based in US right? injury the reason?

Frankie Hejduk - travel? or is he done with the nationals, hope not

Onyewu - could need him against Mex. travel?

4 england based players made the trip as i believe this is a set fixture date worldwide which gives the players 48 hours away from their clubs. Any explanation to why these guys arent here?

I hate floppers
World Cup
World Cup
Onyewu can't come due to his recent Newcastle transfer. Frankie and his knee say no more nat'l team.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
I am excited as well about the young players. However there are a few choices I don't understand. Twellman, Boswell, Albright, Carroll? Thess guys will be old by the next WC AND are not International caliber. Thank Buddha Heydude is done. He may hustle but he is not very good.

Mexico is bringing an A, A-squad, so it won't be weak and there is no Cooper for USMNT (Should be there instead of Twellman)

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
That should really be Namoff, not Boswell.

J
world cup
world cup
J
No Cooper?!

A friend told me yesterday he was making the trip..if he isn't, that's bogus.

No Gooch, no Cooper, I'm a little less excited now.

goal
OP Offline
goal
Ok

I have always liked Conrad due to his personality on the ussoccer wep site, he is always been a funny guy. But after tonights performance i can like him because he is a good player.

Even with the squad who was playing you have to be excited about the US's future.

Eddie Johnson and Rolfe really had nothin out of that position....

I hate floppers
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Conrad had a super game....

Mexico are a bunch of classles jerks...why not shake hands? They have noone to blame but themselves, granted the referee got in the way but heat leat was consistent as he got in the way with the US trying to create a turnover in midfield. Mexico had more chances than a team of that caliber should be allowed to have.

To me it cleared a few things

1- the US home based players have improved enough to give a full squad Mexico a fight
2- Dempsey needs to get major playtime and soon
3- The left back in the US was superb, sorry I cannot remember his name
4- midfield of mastoeani and Clark created nothing. A playmaker is needed with urgency
5- I you do have a playmaker, you have noone to play with, because the attackers are not of the caliber that is necessary to win the big one. Even with european based players the front two would not change very much. The kid Rolfe did nothing.

goal
OP Offline
goal
I agree that Dempsey needs to get some playing time you could tell he was not up to pace.

Mastoreni has had better games and could develop into a playmaker in the defensive mid. Recall the US Italy game this past world cup. He came out in that game and if he could do that on a regular bases, he would be a star.

And I still hate Donovan in the foward position, he needs to run with the ball, you saw what he can do when he does that.

I hate floppers
World Cup
World Cup
I think Twellman is quality and should get some more time.

I don't know what has happened to Eddie Johnson, but he has been a non factor as of late.

Good for Bradley for not playing the 4-5-1, but we'll see what happens during games of importance. Bruce played the 3-5-2, 4-4-2, and even 3-4-3 before dropping the 1 forward bomb on us during the WC.

goal
OP Offline
goal
Bruce was scared.

To be honest I forgot about Twellman and do agree with you. I think we will see more of him during their next matches.

US vs Mexico is always a game of importance as you can see Mexico pretty much brought their number 1 squad.

I hate floppers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard