Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 20 1 2 3 4 19 20
Shibumi #76619 02/19/07 02:02 PM
world cup
world cup
Chico,

I agree that rules should not be overly burdensome in restricting player movement. I also have a little compassion for teams that lose players any time outside of the May/June tryout period. So, I guess I'm caught in two minds here.

Also remember:

What is good for R3PL is not often good for the SCYSA Challenge League.

What is good for CESA....is not always good for the other clubs/teams competing in South Carolina.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #76620 02/19/07 02:34 PM
G
throw in
throw in
G
Chico: I'm not quite clear on your comment about requiring a player to get a release signature from his home team/club before transferring. I agree whole-heartedly that if a player needs to move, then a team/club needs to sign the release and let them go--they shouldn't hold up the transfer. It's in the best interest of the team/club to take the high road, let 'em go, and move on.

On the other hand, I've seen some situations where a family has not been forthcoming with their intentions, and moved with little or no notification. That's wrong also.

I don't know the entire situation with the above referenced players/club, but I don't believe its appropriate to place any blame at SCYSA's feet for the kids missing two games. Yes, it's an SCYSA rule, but it's some combination of the team(s)/club(s)/family that didn't get it done.

On the matter of the season ending differently for different teams of the same age doesn't seem right either. For example, assuming that CESA 92 Premier wins state cup this spring, why should Tega Cay U14B have to wait until after Regionals to begin to recruit back players they lost last summer while CESA 92 Premier can actually begin to recruit from them and any other U14B team essentially at the conclusion of state cup.

greengrass #76621 02/19/07 02:49 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I may be missing something... If a family moves I see no issue with release. On the other hand if a player wants to switch teams, then the current club should investigate why? illegal recruiting, etc.

I have been involved in a player transferring to another club. To me it was simple, I at least pretend to be interested in the development of the player, therefore that should be my consideration. If the current club offering does not provide for the improvement of this player and the new club does, then release is immediate. On the other hand sometimes the issue is related to recruitment of an already rostered player for no reason other than bolstering numbers. If you tell Sallie how wonderful it will be in the new club and she is such a great player, etc. eventually they will believe it. Not saying that release would not happen but at least all fees should be payed to the original club as expenses were incurred (future and present) based on her commitment.

By the way, the above example ... player was released as the opportunity was clearly better than what was available. No making them wait 30 days.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Here is the SCYSA rule on transferring from one team/club to another:

31. TRANSFER – a player who is currently or was previously rostered on an Official Team Roster
requesting and being moved onto the SCYSA Official Team Roster of another team or the return of a
released player to the same roster within the current seasonal year. All requests for transfer must have
the explanation portion of the form properly filled out by the player’s receiving coach, and the transferring
player’s current pass should accompany this transaction. No transferred player may compete with a new
team until he/she receives a new player pass for that team and appears on that team’s roster.
Any player transferring to another club, without their present coach’s signature on the transfer form, will be
required to wait 30 days from the date the transfer form was received by the SCYSA State
Registrar/designee before they can be rostered to another team.
The player’s present coach may approve and sign the transfer form and the player will be released from
their current team and eligible to be rostered to another team immediately upon the completion of the
transfer form by the SCYSA State Registrar/designee.
Any player changing their primary residence by a minimum of 50 miles may request to be transferred to
another team without their present coach’s approval or a 30 day waiting period.

G
throw in
throw in
G
futbol: In my view, the opportunity to play RIIIPL is better for the development of the player, i.e., I agree with you. However, who's to judge what's better in all situations, can Sally jump from a 6th place team in the fall to a 3rd place team across town in the spring and stay in challenge league? Presumably, she'll be playing with better players since they came in 3rd rather than 6th and that would be better for her development. What's to stop players from jumping ship part way in to the season and transferring just before state cup roster freezes, etc.

The point that I was trying to make in my earlier post is that its unreasonable to expect a state level rule to be omniscience, equitable, and fair in every situation. If you were the state register, and the releasing club wasn't willingly releasing a player (if that were the situation), wouldn't you want to know more about the situation?

So while Chico has numerous issues with SCYSA rules, I do not think this one should be put on them. And in the grand scheme, loosing two games (even if they're RIII games) is a short term issue and not that big of a deal for the development of a player considering 8-10 years of soccer they've played thus far and the next 4-5 years they're going to play youth soccer.

BTW, another case that would seem automatice would be if a team folded in your home club and the one across town made, but you need a signed form then also.

greengrass #76624 02/19/07 05:01 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
If a player/parents want to transfer to another club between seasons..what do you stand to gain as a coach or club by not signing the transfer?

coldhardtruth #76625 02/19/07 05:47 PM
goal
goal
As I see it, the only thing a coach could gain from refusing to sign is the satisfaction of exacting revenge on the player and his/her parents who would have the audacity to leave his/her team.

Great job, coach - you showed them!

Belligerent #76626 02/19/07 05:58 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Parents pay the registration fee and any costs that deal with training fees and tourney's...nothing comes free for the soccer parent so why penalize them if they choose to take their business elsewhere? This has become a business whether we like it or not

coldhardtruth #76627 02/19/07 06:56 PM
G
throw in
throw in
G
To me it's the same as when some mutual funds charge a fee for when I reallocate my assets. It's my money, if the mutual fund isn't doing well (in my view), I reallocate, taking the short term fee with the belief that there's a long term benefit.

greengrass #76628 02/19/07 07:16 PM
S
throw in
throw in
S
What about the players/parents of the team from which these young men/women are transferring off of? Are they any less important in consideration of "what's best for the player"?My guess is these young men in question would be quality players and most likely some of the better players on the present team--would their team "suffer" on the field as a result?--my guess would be yes. Maybe my definition of "committment" to a specific team is different is I see both fall and spring season (for U-14 and below)as my child's committment to his/her team--if I/they want to make a change--then tryouts are in May.

Page 2 of 20 1 2 3 4 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard