Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
socdad #76629 02/19/07 07:44 PM
G
throw in
throw in
G
socdad: What I think chico and CHT are saying, it's their money/their kids and they should have freedom to move around as needed, and that the "SCYSA" 30 day window is not needed, and is unreasonable, if the releasing club refuses to sign the form.

Having seen the situation a few times, letting the player go mid year is probably better for the current team than having him/her bide their time through the spring season (IMO this applies to kids looking for higher competition as well as disgruntled families). That said, if the transfer were to cause a team to fold due to lack of players, then I would hope the transferring parent would take that into consideration.

socdad #76630 02/19/07 08:13 PM
S
goal
goal
S
I too think the commitment should be for both seasons at U-14. What has happened in this scenario? Who are the kids playing for now? As I see it the kids did have the opportunity to change but needed to notify SCYSA within the 30 days then so be it. There is an avenue for them to participate but it just wasn't met. Correct? If you allow unrestricted free agency all bets are off as to what new heights recruiting 14 year old soccer players will reach.

Soccer16 #76631 02/19/07 10:17 PM
goal
goal
I think the subjects of "a player's commitment to his/her club/team" and "a club/team's commitment to their player" are probably entitled to their own thread(s). In fact, I believe it has been discussed at length before.

Either way, I believe the main question here is the purpose of a 30-day wait period - what is it?

As greengrass mentions, I have seen on occasion where a team would just as soon have the player who doesn't want to be on their team go ahead and leave. I mean, who wants a player and/or their parents who don't want to even be there? I certainly don't.

Of course, I would hope the player leaving would take into consideration the state of the team he/she is leaving, but ultimately, parents have to make the development of their own child their number one priority (IMHO)

socdad #76632 02/19/07 11:08 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>>[Hurst66] Also remember: What is good for R3PL is not often good for the SCYSA Challenge League. What is good for CESA....is not always good for the other clubs/teams competing in South Carolina.<<

Respectfully, I think it's simpler than that. Put the player first. Put the club, and leagues, the locality, affiliating organizations, and all the other stuff a distant second.

socdad #76633 02/19/07 11:29 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>>[greengrass] The point that I was trying to make in my earlier post is that its unreasonable to expect a state level rule to be omniscience, equitable, and fair in every situation. If you were the state register, and the releasing club wasn't willingly releasing a player (if that were the situation), wouldn't you want to know more about the situation?<<

>>[greengrass] To me it's the same as when some mutual funds charge a fee for when I reallocate my assets. It's my money, if the mutual fund isn't doing well (in my view), I reallocate, taking the short term fee with the belief that there's a long term benefit.<<

This is almost a great analogy. Let's make it a bit more applicable to this situation: if a club were to state that players were responsible for all training fees for the season, regardless of transfer requests, and would refuse to allow a player to transfer until all training fees were paid, then this would be a more precise analogy.

I am absolutely on board for clubs doing this if they wish (as long as they publicize it when a player is rostered -- just as a mutual fund must disclose this in a prospectus.) I have no problems with it.

What I have problems with is some arbitrary rule that states that a player is "held" for 30 days unless a coach signs a piece of paper. As "Belligerant" so eloquently put it...

>>[Belligerant] As I see it, the only thing a coach could gain from refusing to sign is the satisfaction of exacting revenge on the player and his/her parents who would have the audacity to leave his/her team.<<

Amen.

Shibumi #76634 02/19/07 11:37 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>>[socdad] What about the players/parents of the team from which these young men/women are transferring off of? Are they any less important in consideration of "what's best for the player"?<<

>>[Soccer16] I too think the commitment should be for both seasons at U-14. What has happened in this scenario? Who are the kids playing for now? As I see it the kids did have the opportunity to change but needed to notify SCYSA within the 30 days then so be it. There is an avenue for them to participate but it just wasn't met. Correct? If you allow unrestricted free agency all bets are off as to what new heights recruiting 14 year old soccer players will reach.<<

I understand the point of view that the few must suffer for the many -- I just haven't had a lot of empathy for that point of view since understanding what Stalin wrought with that ideology.

Players transfer for many reasons. Families move. Fellow team members don't want to practice, travel, etc. Playing time. Etc.

Should a transferring player be "penalized" for any of this? I argue that they should not...and I argue that having a rejected coach have to sign a piece of paper allowing a transfer is a penalty.

Again...I have absolutely no problems with parents having to pay for an entire season of training even if they have their kid transferred...because when a kid joins a team and then decides to leave it there should be consequences for that.

Shibumi #76635 02/19/07 11:41 PM
Brace
Brace
How many Bridge FA or MPSC kids that are U13/U14 are playing JV with their high school teams this spring? What kind of "duality" between club/HS exists?

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
The Hammer #76636 02/20/07 02:51 AM
goal
goal
As far as I know, there is one player from the Bridge teams who plays JV.

Belligerent #76637 02/20/07 11:24 AM
goal
goal
Correction - two players, one from each of those two Bridge FA teams.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by duality, but if you are asking if BFA players are allowed to play JV, I believe that decision is left up to the coach.

Belligerent #76638 02/20/07 07:42 PM
throw in
throw in
In our family we have a rule, If you start something you finish it. There have been times with all of our children and they play soccer for two different clubs, that things were not going the way they had expected. You finish the season out period. Respect your club,team,and coach. There is no issue if you want to change teams or clubs after the season is over. They have the right to go where they want and feel most comfortable. There is always going to be someone to take their place and the team and club will go on.

Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard