York 0
Northwestern 7-1

RH 5
Lancaster 1
Rock Hill 5-2

SP 1
Clover 0 (OT)
South Pointe 4-0

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Sorry I may have confused you, Hurst. I was referring to this year. He could play club in NC instead of playing JV and then next year he could play only high school soccer for RH's varsity team. I just think he could benefit more from playing high level club in NC this year instead of JV which would more than likely better prepare him for varsity than JV would.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Mike,

I agree that 8th graders should continue to play competitve club soccer in the spring but I feel they should also play for their HS JV as well. If the boy plays club in NC as an 8th grader, he needs to find an SC team for Fall of his 9th grade.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
bench
bench
B
I know we are all sensitive to the hard work that coaches are do for the high school teams, but what is being said about RHHS is true. While the coaches are undoubtably enjoying the new talent, it is the club experience that has made the change at RHHS and not anything worth noting within the program itself.

Before the rezoning, the RHHS program did not have kids with club experience. Everyone knew that. Last year there was a senior on the team who had never even played the sport before. Having room on your roster for an inexperienced senior is not an option in most 4-A schools.

The rezoning impacts the current Junior, Sophmore and Freshman class. So it is easy for the coaches to say that they are bringing the kids up through the program (has RHHS really yet to define a program for themselves?). What they are really doing is reaping the benefits of gaining club experienced contenders who have not only played at club level, but more importantly have been coached at the club level. These kids would not be in their program if it were not for the change in the zoning that Rock Hill went through.

What the coaches are not owning up to is that of the starters, 7 would be at Northwestern right now if it were not for the rezoning. This includes the two Arzaluz brothers, the Robinson kid (who actually won the MVP for RHHS’ Varsity as a FRESHMAN - that is NOT bringing him up through the ranks coach since he didn't play JV for you), the Spradley goalkeeper (who was named to the 2007 Byrnes All Tournament Team a few weeks ago), and the Lehman kid who won 2006 MVP for the JV team…and his playing JV was HIS choice. The Lehman kid actually DID go to Northwestern his freshman year. When he came to RHHS last year, the coaches wanted him to play Varsity, but he did not want to play against his big brother at Northwestern, so he played JV. More than half of the bench would also be at Northwestern if it weren't for the new zones. By the way, it isn’t that I know so much about all of these kids. I got all of the information about the starters from the school’s soccer site.

The Raad kid is playing JV not because the coaches have this wonderful and developmental program, but because his dad wouldn’t let him play Varsity as a freshman, a decision I certainly respect. Of course there is Fernando playing JV, but he's still in middle school. It will be interesting to see if he stays with the RHHS program or either moves to Northwestern as Enzo did.

Ok, so the point of this ramble is that RHHS now has something worth noticing. So what changed, the coaches or the players? It is frustrating to see the talent pool do so well under a club coach (many of the sophmores played for Discoveries U15 champion team) and then fall apart during the school season. I understand that the RRHS coaches do not demand near the level of commitment, conditioning, and comradre as the club coaches, but do expect these players to play club during the off season so they can get these qualities elsewhere. That isn't coaching, but riding coat-tails of the club coaches.

I have caught a couple of their games and you can tell by watching the games that the kids have heart and talent, but no real strategy that works with their strengths, which shows the coaches are in way over their heads. It is only a matter of time before the parents and AD demand a change in leadership from competent enough to take the program up a notch for their hardworking kids.

R
kick off
kick off
R
Why would fernando play for a club in NC? Last i heard he was going to play for the CESA u15 team.

H
brace
brace
H
3 different threads on rock hill soccer.what is the world coming to.

K
corner kick
corner kick
K
blues3, all of your specific arguments are based on club data with a general statement near the end that the kids play with no real strategy. If that is the heart of your argument, then your criteria for a good coach is somebody who can do something with nothing (clubwise)--This rules out just about every team with a winning record in South Carolina, so the good coaches must be at the rural schools with losing records.

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.--James Joyce I don't care about history...cuz that's not where I wanna be--Joey Ramone
B
bench
bench
B
Dude, can you read? If that were true (making something with nothing) then RHHS would have been the state champs up until the rezoning! Go back and re read the post

Last edited by blues3; 03/12/07 12:47 PM.
S
bench
bench
S
Randomguycoach,that is what i heard to.That Fernando was going to go to play CESA next year.Cant wait to see that.

K
corner kick
corner kick
K
blues3, first of all I am not the infamous "Dude."

In clarifying to myself the role of a coach, it has occurred to me that teams with good players do not do well without a decent coach. Bad teams may still be bad even with a decent coach, great coaches may get overachievement from bad teams, great coaches may make the most of good teams. But a bad coach will get little to nothing good from a good team (unless the only opponents are bad teams with mediocre to bad coaches). If Rock Hill is doing well, ther coach may not be the best coach in the state, but he must be decent. At the high school level (really at all levels--even pro teams struggle when the players take charge), players do not have the maturity to play well "despite" their coach.

No one is arguing that Rock Hill is doing better this year because they changed coaches--clearly they are doing better because their coach has more to work with; however, the coach still has to do the work.

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.--James Joyce I don't care about history...cuz that's not where I wanna be--Joey Ramone
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard