Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
coach
coach
S
>>[soccersmylife] Just like SCYSA should promote other tournaments in the State and not just the CESA tournament at the end of May<<

Ballentine: "Andrew, Pearse...this is Steve again. Look, we've been thinking about it and we want to continue promoting the College Showcase tournament you hold."

Tormey/Hyslop: "Steve, why don't you give some other clubs a chance. We actually feel guilty about this -- we don't do any work, we charge you a huge amount of money, and then we sit back and rake in all of the dollars from this massive enterprise."

Ballentine: "Guys...we don't need any other clubs; we love CESA and we're denying any and all requests to help any other club do anything in this regard."

----------------------------------------
Once again, an alternative scenario.

Tormey/Hyslop: Steve, once again we'd like to invite your ODP teams to our College Showcase tournament in May. We'll issue open invitations to other teams in South Carolina and we'll invite Georgia and other state's ODP teams. Oh...and we won't make a dime off of your ODP teams participating.

Ballentine: I don't know...other clubs might get angry again.

Tormey/Hyslop: Which other clubs?

Ballentine: Well...let's say a club called ABC might get mad.

Tormey/Hyslop: Did ABC come to you guys and offer to try to drive your ODP enrollment higher by hosting an ODP night for all of the surrounding clubs?"

Ballentine: Well...no...

Tormey/Hyslop: Does ABC have an open-enrollment CAP program and older teams in training in the spring?

Ballentine: Well...no...

Tormey/Hyslop: Does ABC even have a College Showcase event?

Ballentine: Well...no....

Tormey/Hyslop: Then why would they be mad?

Ballentine: I just don't want to have to read another 100-page legal complaint. But...okay...we'll do it.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Got you going didn't I? Have a great day!!

S
coach
coach
S
My kid's been with two select clubs in her life: one in the midlands and one in the upstate. When she was with the midstate club, I can remember hearing people complain about how biased the SCYSA was with respect to upstate clubs. It took me a while to see through what was being said.

I think your post was great; it gets at the heart of the grumbling that you so often hear on the fields. I enjoyed writing the "scenarios" -- one you think things through, it doesn't take a tremendous amount of insight to see through and illustrate these types of "issues" for what they really are.

S
coach
coach
S
>>[Big Daddy] But....I would be opposed to SCYSA'a funding of it. I would support SCYSA helping from a paperwork/grant writing perspective....opposed to their putting cash into it.<<

>>[Manchester] If SCYSA and/or US Soccer is supporting other private clubs the precident has already been establshed. They would have an obligation to be involved financially at some level.<<

No such precedent has been established; the SCYSA has not to the best of my knowledge "given" money to clubs.

Neither has US Club Soccer.

Both are affiliating organizations, which means in essence that they operate by "taxing" clubs. Neither has an "income redistribution" program in which they take from one club and give to another. In short, a precedent for a youth soccer club welfare system has not yet been established.

However, the SCYSA has been looking at building some fields, particularly in the Columbia area. If I were from an area outside of Columbia, I might look somewhat askance at this type of proposal in which the SCYSA raises money from all areas of the state and then builds something that benefits only a single area. You could argue that a better approach would be to "give" money back to clubs so that they could build/expand fields themselves.

But then again, given my idealogic learnings, I'm a lot more comfortable with centralized organizations simply not taxing than I am in their "giving" money back.

M
brace
brace
M
Chico,

That's godd to hear regarding SCYSA. As I originally stated, it's as it should be . . . local individuals and their clubs should have a grand vision for youth and adult soccer within their select communities. Columbia is unique in that it is right in the middle of the state and has a growing, professional club (CUFC) capable of managing a top flight complex like Manchester Meadows. How about a USL PDL team in Columbia like the Silvernacks in Atlanta or those found in multiple cities throughout the US? Well, that would require a central location and a fantastic complex like Manchester Meadows. Columbia area fans need to get off their duffs and make this happen!

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Great ideas, Manchester. And I agree that Columbia area fans need to get off their duffs to make it happen.

That sounds sarcastic and its not meant to. I just don't like the idea of SCYSA collecting money on a statewide basis and then using it in such a way that directly benefits 1 region or CLub over another.

M
brace
brace
M
Precisely, SCYSA is there to provide structure not financing. Private clubs demand private initiatives that benefit private industry resulting in a stronger community. Wow! I must be a Republican! All kidding aside, Columbia is the perfect location for a high growth SC soccer initiative.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Anywhere lots of kids are......is a great place for a soccer initiative!!!!

Not sure I know of anywhere that lack of fields isn't a problem...its simply to what degree.

M
brace
brace
M
Big Daddy, no doubt about that!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
5/13/07

Spending on local projects shoots up
http://www.thestate.com/426/story/62546.html