Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#80906 03/26/07 03:50 PM
C
Crabb Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
C
I have seen two red cards this season. Actually 2 too many!! However, the punishment was the same regardless of the infraction. A player was given a two match ban for throwing a punch or pushing another player. We just had a player given a red for cursing at his own player. He was given a straight red and walked off the field with no incident. I was just informed that he was given a two match ban for fussing at one of his own players to pass him the _____ ball?

Foul language is not acceptable!! However, their is a big difference between cursing at your own guy in frustration and cursing at another player or a referee!!

Do the people in Columbia paint all red cards with the same brush. What would happen in High School basketball if the ref threw out players who cursed instead of giving technical foul. They would not have enough players to finish some games. Come on SC leadership......all red cards should not be handled the same!!

Brace
Brace
I just reviewed my notes from the Mandatory Rules meeting at the Winter Clinic. At that meeting Roger Hazel made it clear to me that incidental profanity, that which is not aimed at an opponent, ref coach, etc was a red-card offense.

The Weather Is Here. Wish You Were Beautiful.
M
throw in
throw in
M
yea but a two match ban?

ooo fancy
Brace
Brace
The length of the ban is at the discretion of the league and I suppose they consider many factors, such as the player's and maybe the team's history, the ref's report, the coach's report, etc.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Post deleted by Lincoln Coach

Robert Hartnett Lincoln High School--McClellanville, SC
S
Brace
Brace
S
The red card situation is strange because i believe the ban should be depending on the incident. For fighting, yea two games sound good, but as for Erik's situation with cursing at his own teammate, it shouldn't be the same suspension as someone else would get for cursing the ref out. Funny thing is, we have a football player who's playing soccer and he's shocked at how strict soccer is for cursing. He said n football they curse all the time n the refs say nothing. It's unfair for soccer to be so tightly watchd

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
bench
bench
Cursing is language. i think that as long as it is not directed at the referee, it should be accepted.

S
Brace
Brace
S
whoa dunno bout all cursing being accepted. Some refs are just too strict. And what makes it more complicated for players and coaches, is that some refs let it slide, especially if its at a teammate, but other refs give you the direct red. Thre should be some consistency or something.

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
C
Crabb Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
C
This was really written for everyone to see and discuss. Nowhere in the original rant did I say there should not be a RED CARD. My point was the punishment. The team played the second half of a region game a man short for a player cursing at his own guy. Now he is given two additional games in Region play for being frustrated. We are talking about young adults, mostly 15, 16 and 17 years old. That is a pretty powerful benchmark for high school kids.

You coaches that helped make this rule should get more involved and help the SCHSCL adopt punishment that fits the infraction. A kid gets more punishement for fussing at a buddy on the soccer field than insulting someone during school hours.

If you break the rules (whether you like them or not) you get punished. However, a fight and cursing at your own player are very diffferent. WHY are they punished in the same way. There are no other circumstances!

Brace
Brace
That is correct. Soccer coaches did make the decision. It was either we come up with a set of standards or the league was going to impose one on us. It was voted on and adopted at the clinic business meeting. DQ’s were a very big problem at the time. Our image was horrible. And, if we did not clean our act up ourselves, it was going to be done for us. I was president of the association at the time. This happened several years ago and the Soccer Penalty Chart came into existence. At one time I think it was posted on scsoccer.com. I guess it would be good to post it again.

But, please don't go on like you have no input. You are invited to every SCHSSCA business meeting and to every clinic and every rules meeting. We have business meetings twice per year. This is more than almost every other sport. The committee of coaches is comprised of past presidents of the association. YOU could run for president. Most often at the summer meeting when the floor is opened for nominations, we get blank stares and awkward silence. It seems that more people are willing to complain than are willing to work. We have the same core who work all of the important functions, although every member is invited. Many find excuses.

I invite all members to become more involved in every aspect of the association. We need you. Many of you have no idea how much work is done each year.

Wayne Quinlan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard