Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Goal
Goal
Here Here Wayne!

I didn't know that it was possible to have 3 grandmothers who decide to die mysteriously during the State Championships in three consecutive years! I guess if you live long enough you will see it all.

goal
goal
Wayne, great point – it’s always easy to find people who have the solution for anything and everything, but virtually impossible to find people who are actually willing to give the effort and time necessary to implement those same “wonderful” ideas.

I have seen numerous comments on this board about how unfair and unreasonable it is to require high school-aged children to refrain from foul language during matches.

This is ridiculous. At what point in time do you people expect your children to learn that there are many, many places where cursing is just not appropriate? Are you going to wait until they get kicked out of a class or fired from a job? Do you same people who find foul language in matches acceptable also allow your children to curse in front of you and your friends and family? The longer you wait to teach children this “life-lesson,” the more difficult it will be on THEM.

I imagine my children have a different vocabulary when they are not around me, but if I hear them cursing in a match, I don’t care if the ref hears it or not, that child will hear about it from ME when we get home.

And, comparing what is acceptable to football or basketball players with what is acceptable to soccer players is equally ridiculous. Like I tell my children, “I don’t care what so-and-so down the street is doing, you are MY child and we don’t do that in this house.” Let the football, basketball and baseball players have their own rules.

Soccer players should be held to a higher standard.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Post deleted by Lincoln Coach

Robert Hartnett Lincoln High School--McClellanville, SC
S
Brace
Brace
S
Belligerent u bring an excellent point as far as the soccer players being held to a higher standard. I couldn't agree with you more. We should show a higher class and level of respect than the other major sports.

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
C
Crabb Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
C
This is from Roger Hazel:

"The penalty for use of profanity directed at someone is 2 games minimum."

There is no designation whether it is your player, a ref, a fan or the other team. A fight or cursing carries the same minimum suspension. This was adopted ten years ago by coaches per Mr. Hazel.

Again, this is for discussion! If we all think that it is fair then fine. (punches and cursing hold the same suspension) If it needs to be tweaked a bit then lets do that.

And by the way, hop off that soap box. I have not and will never condone the use of profanity. One can only hope our children are as fine as yours!! This was a degree of suspension issue not complaining about the Red Card. I am sorry if that point was lost in translation...

Thanks for all the discussion!!!

P
throw in
throw in
P
In the NFHS Soccer rule book it states that in Rule 12 section 8 Art 1 " A player, coach or bench personnel shall be cautiones (yellow card) for: d. any incidental use of vulgar or profane language."

goal
goal
Crabby, as I stated earlier, “I imagine my children have a different vocabulary when they are not around me,” so I have no illusions that they are little angels 24/7. And, you also stated that “Foul language is not acceptable!!”

But, if you feel the punishment for “punches and cursing” should NOT be the same, maybe the punishment for “punches” should be raised to a 3- or 4-game suspension.

My high school coach had a zero tolerance for retaliation/fighting. It didn’t matter what the referee's call was (or was not), if HE saw you do it, you were coming off the field for the rest of the match, and you would pay the penalty the next day (or longer).

Same thing with cursing – if the coach takes care of it during practices, and makes it clear what HIS punishment will be, there really shouldn’t be a problem during matches.

Sorry if it sounded like a soap box – maybe it was/is – I have just gotten very intolerant over the last several years with parents who make excuses for their children constantly, and refuse to teach them a little responsibility (and, I am NOT saying that is what you are doing). Okay…it was definitely a soapbox…

J
world cup
world cup
J
Not to derail the topic, but since we have those in "the know" here..I shall derail away.

I've heard conflicting reports in regards to a straight red given for "excessive celebration". My specific example would be: Taking off a shirt after a goal.

I've had a ref give me the "hands are tied" line and one say it's "probably a yellow". Could I get an official stance on this? Thanks.

World Cup
World Cup
The Soccer Penalty Chart was posted online for 2-3 years earlier this decade, but has been removed per the requests of the S.C. High School League and several Referee Assignors based on the fact that each instance is judged independently when reported to the League Office.

J
world cup
world cup
J
[assuming that was directed to me]

So..the official stance is: There is no official stance? No hands are tied? Each case is unique?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard