Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
i agree that the fans come to see a winner but ive been told by credible sources that sc is the only state that does overtime after regular time ends in a tie.

V
bench
bench
V
I personally have no problem with overtime. I do, however, have a problem with PK's. PK's do not test how good a team is in the least. If a defensive team goes to a shootout against an offensive team, and neither team has a stellar keeper then the offensive team gains a huge advantage. I always thought "defense wins chapionships," so why allow the game to be decided by nothing but a few wide-open self-paced shots. I've always been told to keep the ball moving while doing shooting drills because it's not gamelike. Then why do we settle the games in such a manner. I do like to have a winner at the end of the night though. In my opinion the best option is to let the players settle the game by playing soccer. Do two 5 or 10 minute OT's like we do already, but if it remains tied then go to golden goal until it is over. It may take a while, but at least you have a better shot of the best team being triumphant. That's just the take of a pro-win/lose anti-PK fan and player.

E
goal kick
goal kick
E
we want to play soccer not marathons if the game cant be decided in OT then PK's are legit

one can be beaten, two can defend themselves, but a a strand of three is not easily defeated
ehs1 #81415 03/30/07 12:51 AM
V
bench
bench
V
Rarely if you are playing golden goal would you have 10-15 minutes. Between the picking of the players, the shots, the long fateful walks back and forth, and the possible sudden death PK's- PK's can easily reach 5 and approach 10 minutes. Granted there will be a few games that won't be decided in those 10-15 minutes, but the cast majority will not be "marathon games." If you must, at least increase the overtime length because two 5's does not give a team much time at all to make something happen.

Lack of skill leads to disaster.
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Take a look at how many games are decided 1-0, 2-0, or 2-1 and the like...when well-matched teams are averaging 40 to 80 minutes per goal, why expect the "golden goal" to take less than 10-15 to occur?

I've got good news and bad news...
J
Brace
Brace
J
Just as a heads up, IL does overtime after a tie in regulation. 2 X 10 minutes, but they don't do PK's. That only happens in tournaments and the state tournament. In the state tourny, they do 2 X 10 twice for 40 more minutes of play, not golden goal. Then if there is still a tie, it goes to PK's.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
throw in
throw in
I would personally like to see a change in the system. Ties are not a problem at all for regular season matches. Since you play all region teams twice, just take the aggregate score to decide the placement of teams in the region. This is the same way that the UEFA Champions League is done.

The only time that I agree to have overtime is in tournaments and post-season matches, where you need to have a winner in order to declare a "champion." Even then, overtime should be extended to at least 2 x 10 minutes.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Post-season (playoff) matches do use 2 x 10-minute OT periods, followed by 2 x 5-minute "golden goal" periods. PKs are a last resort after these.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard