Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
One of Champ Bailey's coaches at Georgia once was asked if fitness was an issue when he was playing cornerback, wide receiver, returning punts, etc. His coach said nah...Champ don't get tired.

Alex don't get tired.

My guess is her CESA coach wouldn't be very happy with her if she tried to do the Latin forward thing from the center midfield position. And in HS she doesn't have the support to do what an Enzo does. Imagine if she played for Fort Mill or Lexington tho?

S
coach
coach
S
Big Daddy: He seemed pretty happy with her when she beat a couple of defenders from that position and scored a couple of times... Very good player.

brace
brace
I would add that I know some players who RELISH schooling opposing players—with moves and knowledge of the game. Yes. Girls. But when it IS girls, people respond differently than to boys doing the same thing. Interesting.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Chico,

You are way up on me regarding experience with girls soccer. My oldest that plays is a 9th grader who is a rising U16 from a CLub perspective. So hard to argue with your expereinces which are way broader and deeper than my own.

But based on my experiences in Club soccer and this year in HS soccer.....I don't see what you do. I see great players, for sure!!!! Haven't yet seen that swagger in an attacking player yet this year.

IMO, closest I've seen was Danielle Schmitt of Fort Mill.

S
coach
coach
S
purpleandyellow: Agreed...very agreed!

What I like about this thread, by the way, is that we've been able to get in a few more names than is typical. Yes, the player or players that one is closest to, either with respect to blood ties, school ties, team ties, or geographic ties, is the one that most folks want to talk about first. But there's a lot more soccer than that found in a single family, on a single team, or in a single area. And there are a lot of girls out there doing amazing things for weak teams against long odds.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
P&Y.....give me some names and schools/Clubs and I'll check them out if I can. I don't understand your last sentence, Whole point of the thread is bemoaning the lack of creative dribbling in the girls game....you seem to think its punished when employed?

Not sure about that. Trying to dribble thru a crowd? yeah, likely to take some heat. Aggressively taking someone on in space in a 1 v 1 setting?

S
coach
coach
S
Big Daddy: At the club level, I didn't get a chance to watch Danielle play club; we were focused more on RIIIPL-East than challenge league. And I only saw her play high school once; but that was against a very good defensive team in a 2-1 loss -- and she did get the single assist off of a free kick she made. Fine player...I was glad she walked on at Clemson and I'm hoping she gets more playing time...

When you get a chance, you ought to take a look at the older girls playing RIIIPL-East or (even better) the ODP region pools and region teams. They're pretty amazing...

brace
brace
Boys respond to the guy doing the schooling QUITE differently to how girls respond to girls doing the same.

Also—real experience—girl used her skills to maintain possession against a much weaker team to help the superior team NOT score more; coach of weaker team was LIVID because he felt that was embarrassing his players. Have seen the same situation in a guys match—no such reaction.

People expect guys athletes to be arrogant; people see that differently for females.

I think these gender expectations play into this more so than the skill of our top female players or their urges to "take players on."

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
World Cup
World Cup
Chico, you are probaly right. Lexington's biggest disadvantage is that they have multiple supporters therefore more opportunites for some Anderson redneck to pick disect and categorize as he sees fit. Hurst and I enjoy our strength is solitude (save OE & realmccoy).

corner kick
corner kick
(scratching head)
I'm trying to decide if I should be offended...or not
(insert eye-roll here)

Doin' it the hard way...
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard