Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Barc09 Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
B
Lets hear some talk about... Quality players that get the job done day in and day out... Because all we hear about is flashy forwards like Enzo Sebastian Terrence Preston Kropp ect. So let me hear who you think is the MOST underrated player in South Carolina

everyone is a lil bias, im realistic.
L
bench
bench
L
you might say im bias to dreher, but byron quinatoa is one of the most underrated players in SC. and i am bias to dreher, and i get to see how he makes our team better, he is one of the most underrated.

B
Barc09 Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
B
well im gunna say Thomas Valikonis from Eastside. 21 goals 8 assist 50pts. Stats dont lie. and he missed first part of the season with ankle injury

everyone is a lil bias, im realistic.
goal kick
goal kick
how bout naming some defenders. they deserve a lot of credit and dont get much at all

H
bench
bench
H
byron is very weak on the ball my little sister could knock him over wearing her yellow summer dress

P
bench
bench
P
Zach Houghton at Spring Valley plays every position, does what is needed for the team, and was instumental in shutting down NW's offense in last year's final. He should be on the all-state teams.

I
kick off
kick off
I
Quote:

byron is very weak on the ball my little sister could knock him over wearing her yellow summer dress

well put sir

throw in
throw in
tanner osborne.
keeper for lexington.
he is a lot better than people think he is.

Nobody asks to be a hero, it just sometimes turns out that way.
kick off
kick off
I honestly think Daniel Lynch from Irmo is underrated. The kid was amazing in all the games I saw. I also think Lexington's defenders are underrated, they are beasts.

97% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
I
kick off
kick off
I
chris dixon from Myrtle Beach. he plays center mid for MB and for Bridge FA. i never hear anybody mention his name. actually noone from myrtle beach gets mentioned.

goal kick
goal kick
id have to say that south aikens defense is also very underated

K
bench
bench
K
I agree about Chris Dixon.

goal kick
goal kick
On The Coast

Justin Blomdahl (WHS) - Strong and fast forward who opts not to play Premier or ODP due to the cost.

Chris Dixon (MB) - Strong, talented, and understands the game.

Michael Gambrell (NMB) - Excellent Sweeper, fast, and very knowledgeable.

Alstin Swinnie (Andrews) - Tall and strong and a very good Keeper. Has to play the filed to compensate for a lack of quality field players.

Scott Windell (NMB) - Quick and talented forward and can play the midfield.

Tyler Staub (WHS) - Quick and talented and has an endless supply of energy.

Matt Mitchell & Michael Rice (SJHS) - Both play forward/midfield and both are very talented.

T
TJ Offline
bench
bench
T
Quote:

I honestly think Daniel Lynch from Irmo is underrated. The kid was amazing in all the games I saw. I also think Lexington's defenders are underrated, they are beasts.

Lexington's defense is agruably the best in the state. In my opinion Lex's sweeper Graham Howard is the best in SC. He manages the defense very well, has great field presence, a great touch, and is a physical player. With a little more weight and muscle he should go high in D 1. Drew Howell is also very good. His throw in's are unbelievable!
I think Daniel L. is a good player as well, however Irmo's defense is certainly lacking.

B
kick off
kick off
B
I can agree with Dixon... Coastal Soccer Fan your son isnt really underrated. Justin if anything is overrated between the amount of gossip you do on him and the write-ups in the paper... Take for instance the full page spread he had in the Sun News about beating LORIS. Good player not underrated.

goal kick
goal kick
The Sun News articles have been great for all. Actually, the Sun News (Travis) has been doing a great job highlighting local talent the past few years, which is something we havent had in the past.

goal kick
goal kick

And for you...

I forgot to add;

Billy Belair (Soc) - Very quick and talented. Scores frequently attacking through the midfield.

S
kick off
kick off
S
Quote:

On The Coast

Justin Blomdahl (WHS) - Strong and fast forward who opts not to play Premier or ODP due to the cost.

Chris Dixon (MB) - Strong, talented, and understands the game.

Michael Gambrell (NMB) - Excellent Sweeper, fast, and very knowledgeable.

Alstin Swinnie (Andrews) - Tall and strong and a very good Keeper. Has to play the filed to compensate for a lack of quality field players.

Scott Windell (NMB) - Quick and talented forward and can play the midfield.

Tyler Staub (WHS) - Quick and talented and has an endless supply of energy.

Matt Mitchell & Michael Rice (SJHS) - Both play forward/midfield and both are very talented.

I don't know all these players but if Justin Blomdahl can afford to be seen by some international clubs and visit their camps why would money be a factor here in SC. Maybe we can't see what he accomplishes in Europe so we can't comment but at ODP if he was a player they offer scholarships as would most club teams if he is what you say. I would guess that all the listings that state his abilities are by Justin or family members. If he is a soccer player he will be noticed so stop patting your own back and play. We all can say how great we are but being complimented by others will come from playing not Mommies, Daddies, and Grandparents telling us how great their little boy is. It takes both tactical and technical skills with a high workrate to make most ODP and Premier teams and a player does not need to buy a plane ticket for either one.

B
kick off
kick off
B
Really... just let him play. First you post him as being one of the best players of 07, then you say he is one of the most UNDERRATED, and finaly you make him his own webpage. I can say one thing Justin Blomdahl is surely one of the most publicized players in SC.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Your right on sid42. He had a chance to play for bridge u18 premier but chose to play at coastal which isn't going to be seen by anybody. Every talented player has a chance to go try out for any team all you need to do is pick up the phone. If you can play you'll be chosen. Blomdahl is a good player and very skilled. He needs to go to a college that has a coach that can help him go to the next level, something that he hasn't had. The 2 things he should have done is played for a different club and a different high school. The ones that he has played for don't play anyone worth measuring ability against. Sure you have the occasional games against good teams but to become a great player you must be challenged at every practice and games. But don't get me wrong, I WOULD want him on my team. And whatever college he goes to the coach will get a team player.

bench
bench
Tyler Williams- Defender, Chapin

S
kick off
kick off
S
Quote:

He had a chance to play for bridge u18 premier but chose to play at coastal which isn't going to be seen by anybody. ******* I WOULD want him on my team. And whatever college he goes to the coach will get a team player.

Socitome...First, I don't feel comfortable writing about a player that I don't know but I am sure that I have seen play but just did not stand out at the game I watched. Second, the coach at BFA U-18 88 Gold is a good friend of mine and I evaluated the tryouts for that age group and Justin did not show up nor has his name been mentioned by the coach, ever. I wish he would have played at a higher level in the past and maybe we would be seeing his name mentioned under different circumstances. I would only hope he does not take offense to the comments on the board because they are only opinions but better that that I would hope that as a player he would under4stand that building yourself up gets you nowhere. If he can get that one point he will be fine so if, by chance, you know Justin let him understand that he should leave it on the pitch and if he does his best and is one of the best he will be recognized by others. Please let him know that will you SOCITOME?????

goal kick
goal kick

Without question, people do their best to publicize Justin and his coaches have worked diligently to ensure he is recognized because every talented player needs help to push him/her and market them. BTW, once Justin leaves for college, it is my intention to write a help book or informational pamphlet to assist other parents/coaches with their respective student/athletes marketability. And, how to do it under a budget.

But, to answer the questions;

First, he was able to go to Sweden and play with talented clubs because his family and friends were gracious enough to donate enough money for the trip and he worked over the summer for the trip. When he arrived in Sweden, the entire cost of the trip was covered by the locals and the Sweden soccer community. No one made any money for the trip, and it was a great opportunity. He made a 2 week training trip for $950.00 which was the cost of the plane ticket. And, he trained nearly every day he was there, including the day he arrived after a 26 hour plane ride. He could have attended a local camp for 4 days at a cost of approx. $500.00. So, locally, that trip would have cost approx. $2,700.00. This is something else I will put in the book.

Second, the website is free and a great resource. One scouting agency (not to be named) said they would take care of it for $2,800.00. Another part of the book.

Third, he was offered a tryout (after the official tryout) with the U18 Premier and he was offered a spot by Coach Khoury (I did not go down with him though). Unfortunately, the club costs, the transportation costs, the hotel costs, the food costs, and more importantly, the loss of time from his schoolwork were just too much for him and he made the decision not to play for that team. In addition, he asked me “If I make the sacrifice and play for this team, will it guarantee me a spot in college”, I answered “No”. He was also concerned about his friends on the Coastal team, and stated “I think my teammates need me”.

Fourth, He did work out with the ODP teams a few times, however, again (see above) the overall costs were too much.

Fifth, he has had some very talented coaches over the years. Albeit, sometimes the talent on the teams he has played with was not there, but he has played with many notables; Preston Meyers, Terrance/Darwin Deas, Chris Dixon, Jake Helmig, Jamal Geathers, John Cramer, Alex Broncato, Justin Horns, etc, etc, etc…

Sixth, I believe that Justin has shown that he his a talented player and he has done this on his own, on the field. Do I believe he is the top player in the state, No… Do I believe that he is a top prospect worthy of a full ride, emphatically no. It would be difficult however to dispute the fact that he is one of the top players in our area though and he has the potential of becoming even better, and “I” am Justin’s biggest critic. I have always told him, “You take care of what’s between the lines and I’ll take care everything outside the lines”. But, like many players, you have good games, bad games, and games where you just shake your head and say “What was that”.

Poor Justin, he doesn’t even use the computer, just try emailing him…...lol

He will find out about this conversation though because one of the ways I like to motivate him to play harder is to get him mad, which is not easy…. So, anyone can trash him because I have run out of sneaky ways to get him mad….lol BTW, he won’t be offended because if his skin is that thin, I have done a poor job…

Finally, There are so many ways to market a talented student/athlete for very little cost and as long as they are able to take care of business on the field, that job becomes so much easier.

Sorry….

Billy Belair is at Furman playing Golf,

Bobby Belair (Soc) - Very quick and talented. Scores frequently attacking through the midfield.

S
kick off
kick off
S
I don't believe anyone is saying that you shouldn't "market" your child, we are just saying that if anyone is going to brag about themself then do it openly not behind a made up name like Sid42 or socitome. I wish the best for all players but building yourself up is a false sense of security. By your post I guess you are Justin's parent so just let him know to have other people do the talking for him because if he earns the respect it will come. Words nor money will get him that only hard work. I do agree that the money, drive and time is to much of work to play Premier especially when you have to practice in Daniel Island. I do recall Justin if he is the same young man that played with Dek Smith years ago. I wish him all the luck.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Unfortunately in our society, money can buy almost anything. That needs to change.

kick off
kick off
Coastal,

There are several existing car pools and ride accomodations made during club season for the beach area Bridge players in many age groups. (Plus other area players have already committed to Bridge this coming season.)I am sure someone from the beach area can make accomodations for Justin if he so desires. Strong coaching, very disiplined and physically demanding practices is what this kid needs NOW, to be able to get to the next level being talked about. Also, guest playing with competitive teams may prove to be a more cost effective alternative if he wants to stay with his current team.

goal kick
goal kick
FYI,

I know for a fact there were carpools available. Justin Horns played for the U18 Premier and we could have easily worked out a deal. But, you have to take into consideration other factors. Justin Blomdahl has to work very hard to keep up with his studies. I have actually driven other players to Charleston to play soccer and none of them are playing at the collegiate level.

One of the things I will be putting in my book is that you can be the best athlete at the top of your game, invited to every camp, invited to play with every team, but, if you do not meet the NCAA Clearinghouse requirements, you are not going to play collegiate soccer, other than a Jr. College. Excellent players in our community have missed their opportunity due to academics (And I will not name names).

Some athletes can study in the back of a car, many cannot… In fact, most athletes cannot study in the back of car, and Justin is not one of them. So, although the opportunity was available, the circumstances with respect to his studies, didn’t allow him that opportunity. When I speak of cost, it’s not necessarily monetary in nature.

Bassett,

I agree whole heartedly, it has to change…

When I was the club president of the formally known Coastal Soccer Club and even way before, my goal was to provide a competitive soccer environment for ALL players, not just the privileged few, at a low cost. Some will say, you get what you pay for, but I say, sometimes you don’t. Sometimes, it seams that everyone wanted to put their hand into the proverbial “Cookie Jar”.

BTW, I have had many conversations with coaches and parents from other countries and they are totally amazed at how much it costs to play competitive soccer in the United States. I just wonder, how many players in the World Cup had to pay thousands of dollars for their sons/daughters to get to that level. In addition, how many coaches fundraise to assist other players from other countries to play soccer. Finally, how many players have been invited to play for our schools simply because they are a good athlete. Oh well, once again, money is no object…

I have never really sat down and tallied the amount of money we have spent with respect to Justin and his soccer career. When you consider all the driving, hotels, food, tournaments, club fees, etc., I’m sure it will be a small fortune. Not to mention all the players I personally sponsored over the years with rides, food, lodging, etc. I guess I could be considered one of the persons responsible for such debaucheries…

There has to be better ways….

LOL….

Funny how this forum has evolved… But that is great about this site and that is what everyone needs to do in order to make improvements for everyone….

Question The Establishment....

And demand Much More...

goal kick
goal kick
Chris Dixon should not be on here as underrated, I've been hearing his name out of the Grand Strand area for a few years now, along with Justin Watson and Ryan King. As for Justin Blomdahl, all I can say is "Who?" He does have a great profile, have any colleges picked him up yet?

kick off
kick off
you meant to say Bobby Belair Of socastee

---Wammy---
goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

Sorry….

Billy Belair is at Furman playing Golf,

Bobby Belair (Soc) - Very quick and talented. Scores frequently attacking through the midfield.

I know, I mixed the names.... It's not hard though because both Bobby and Billy are great athletes and great young men. I actually have Billy's first goals on video... Dang, I'm getting old....lol

But, we have detracted from the original posters request;

Quote:

Lets hear some talk about... Quality players that get the job done day in and day out... Because all we hear about is flashy forwards like Enzo Sebastian Terrence Preston Kropp ect. So let me hear who you think is the MOST underrated player in South Carolina

So, I will begin another thread that will include some of the things that I have learned over the past few years about how you can market your student/athlete.

And to pay homage to those mentioned in this thread;

Byron Quinatoa
Thomas Valikonis
Zach Houghton
Tanner Osborne
Daniel Lynch
chris Dixon
Michael Gambrell
Alston Swinnie
Scott Windell
Tyler Staub
Matt Mitchell
Michael Rice
Graham Howard
Daniel L.
Tyler Williams
Bobby Belair

bench
bench
J Graham #15 for nmb for sure is underrated. he plays anywhere and domanates

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
bench
bench
Hey coastal fan. Use the sympathy for another forum. All of "Lower"State is "underrated".. right?

It does what it's told.
goal kick
goal kick
Probably not underrated, but the most unknown talent in the state is Kemar Smith of Darlington. This kid transferred in from New York, but is originally from Jamaica. He has the ball skills, the shooting, and great field vision. He is a very balanced player. He has helped to turn our program around. Has helped to make those around him better.

S
bench
bench
S
curious and off topic but, whose the leading goal scorer for 4A?

N
bench
bench
N
a little off topic, but i think it's austin savage from stratford with something like 56 goals... but then again he only scores against crap teams like chapin, wando and fort d.

C
kick off
kick off
C
how is chapin a crap team they are the number one seed in playoffs and they have a record of 15-6 if you count the win tonite 16-6 i dont get how you say they are a crap team.

C
kick off
kick off
C
P.S. and how is wando a crap team too

N
bench
bench
N
i was being sarcastic. just my way of saying that savage is underrated. i was just throwing out a couple good teams that he has scored on,not meant to offend you

S
kick off
kick off
S
i believe he was being facetious

N
bench
bench
N
yes i was, not to be mean or anything but you should have noticed that when i threw wando into it. everyone knows that all of those teams are quality

goal kick
goal kick
will hammond of lexington is underrated...hes so good in the midfield..he will be on top his senior year

Im tired of chasin my dreams Im just goin to ask 'em where theyre goin and hook up with 'em later
C
kick off
kick off
C
Ok i was just wondering because i didnt know you were joking around

N
bench
bench
N
understandable sorry if i offened you

C
kick off
kick off
C
you didnt offend i was just amazed that you said those teams were bad haha dont worry bout it though

kick off
kick off
i agree with who ever said that defenders deserve more attention and credit. Josh Pennington, Angel Osuna, and Dustin Collins make up a very strong defensive system for socastee

---Wammy---
bench
bench
Austin Savage for sure is one of the best in the state.

P
corner kick
corner kick
P
I think we have to wait to see how Austin performs in the playoffs for EVERYONE to know that he is a fantasic player. Not saying he isn't one of the best in the state, the times I watched him play with his club team Bridge, he was very good as well.

kick off
kick off
Savage is a defender?

---Wammy---
P
corner kick
corner kick
P
Forward, a very good one....

kick off
kick off
what about orlando Clarke from socastee... Do you know how mnay goals he has on the season?

---Wammy---
B
goal
goal
B
From what's already been posted, it's Watson that's the best forward at Socastee. Are you saying that Socastee has the best 2 in the state?

kick off
kick off
I play with both of them. Yes Watson may be the best forward. but clarke has the most goals on the season. they are def contenders for the best

---Wammy---
B
goal
goal
B
That all depends on how big your group of best is. If it's top 15, I don't know, top 30 maybe, top 45 possibly, top 60 probably.

Y
throw in
throw in
Y
get out of here. they are quality but thats the way too biased bro.

AND YA KNOW DAT!!!
L
bench
bench
L
Savage is garbage he didn't even score against Wando get it right.

Y
throw in
throw in
Y
Savage is garbage?? lol. you are crazy. He is the leading scorer in the state, and he just advanced his team to the second round of playoffs by scoring 5 goals on a talented Fort Dorchester squad. I wanted Fort to win that game, and was very surprised when they didn't, but my hat goes off to to the Savage and Stratford for a great game. Savage is a beast.

kick off
kick off
Quote:

will hammond of lexington is underrated...hes so good in the midfield..he will be on top his senior year

Read my name, it speaks the truth.

97% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
goal kick
goal kick
im not lying its true!

Im tired of chasin my dreams Im just goin to ask 'em where theyre goin and hook up with 'em later
P
kick off
kick off
P
lil-BOY, if you're post something, get your facts straight. As you stated "GET IT RIGHT". Savage did score against Wando. One goal, but it did prevent a shutout. A little boy punt like you is the definition of GARBAGE !

G
bench
bench
G
the first game against wando no he didn't score he hit the post 3 times but the second game he scored a great header so you get your facts right!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard