Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Congratulations to one of the state's top senior soccer players, Stephen Stellfox, who has reportedly committed to Lou Holtz and the University of South Carolina in football.

Palmetto Recruiting

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I thought Stellfox was a great soccer player. I never knew he played football. what position is he going to be playing for the Gamecocks?

Brace
Brace
He's a great kicker!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wonder if Berson ever thought of bringing this kid into usc to play soccer!!! Oh hold on he is from south carolina so he must not be good enough to play D1 soccer!!!! I keep forgetting that only kids from Utah and out west can play at that level!!!!!!!

Congrat's on a great high school career at chapin and good luck at USC !!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sherer,
USC does and has recruited instate. Dreher's Mike Harman, Irmo's Marty Baltzenger, Chuck Prosser, Joel Conkle, Ridgeview's Anthony Stovall to name a few from this Columbia area. Others were heavily recruited to USC but wanted to go elsewhere or didn't have the scores/grades to get in to USC. Usually, if you're good enough to play at South Carolina, you're also being recruited by Wake, Duke, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, etc. Where would you rather go...play for an independent or play in the ACC?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The ACC is and will be for sometime the most competitive conference for soccer, both men's and women's. Maybe the Pac-10 could make a legitimate arguement against the ACC, but not any others i'm sure

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
scdreablank

First off it is SHEARER not Sherer!!!!! WOW

Second I don't doubt Berson recruits instate, but when there are more kids from Washington, Utah ,Arizona,New Mexico etc etc something is wrong!!!!
Name one kid from sc that went to Clemson or any acc school over usc b/c of grades? Maybe you are thinking of Andy Kwon from Spring Valley!? He went to Duke b/c he couldn't get into Carolina!!! Stovall didn't play two years of HS ball b/c of grades!!!!! Please do not defend Berson on this one!!! He just thinks that if a kid has NJ NM AZ or utah by his name he must be better than a kid from SC!!!!!!!!!

By the way the only time sc draws a blank is on Berson's roster!!!!!!!!

goal
goal
Well, USA's Brad Friedel was told by his HS football coach that he'd never make anything of himself by playing soccer - Friedel stuck to it and look where he is now....where's his HS Coach? I hope he's not working in careers guidance!!

Pity young Stellfox doesn't have the resolve of Friedel.

Sine le meas

Af

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HEY FOLEY

Once again you are sticking your nose into something you do not understand!!!!!!! Stellfox is one of the top five soccer players in South Carolina this year!!!! The opportunity to play football in the SEC is outstanding~!!!!!! Not to mention the fact that he will play for one of finest coaches in America!!!!! There is no question in Stellfox's resolve!!! He will get a chance to get an education while playing in front of 80,000 people every saturday!!!!

My point in my previous post was that the soccer coach at USC, Mark Berson, doesn't recruit instate talent, not that Stellfox was at fault!!!!! USC would being doing themselves a favor by bringing him in to play soccer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shearer,
First of all, don't contradict yourself. Your first post "I wonder if Berson ever thought of bringing this kid into usc to play soccer!!! Oh hold on he is from south carolina so he must not be good enough to play D1 soccer!!!! I keep forgetting that only kids from Utah and out west can play at that level!!!!!!!"
Second post "Second I don't doubt Berson recruits instate, but when there are more kids from Washington, Utah ,Arizona,New Mexico etc etc something is wrong!!!!" I thought you were complaining that Berson doesn't recruit instate.

My second point is that the major schools in this state always want the best player because they want to win. It is to their advantage to take an instate kid because it cost them less in scholarship money, so with SC vs other state...SC wins.

Finally, don't lumep Berson and USC into a single catagory. How many instate kids play at Furman? How many play at Clemson? One and four respectively. Are they missing the boat too?
These three schools have twenty plus NCAA appearances between them in the last 10 years.

Can the other schools that take a majority of South Carolina kids say the same?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard