Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
M
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
M
Very very exciting game. I went into the game not really cheering for anyone so I'll try to give an unbiased view of the game. First off, most everyone would have to admit that NW got unlucky, especially in the second half. A lot of the should be attributed to Jenkins. Spring Valley scored first when Antoine beat both the keeper and center back (perfect ball from Eamon Pendland) and poked the ball in from about the 18. Second goal was an amazing individual effort from Antoine. Took a counter attack ball from one 18 to the other and finished it beautifully. Ran past about 4 kids in the process. Up til that point NW had had the majority of possession, but not by a crazy amount. NW finally woke up after the second goal and started pounding SV. Scored on a pretty strike off a corner. Stillman I believe. NW kept pounding and Enzo earned a PK. The PK was inevitable after how much time they spent in the box with the ball at their feet. NW continued to attack and SV only managed to cross the half about three times until the final 4 minutes. The final goal was scored on a MAGNIFICENT cross by Michael crazy last name. He was about 18 out and I definitely expected a shot, but he whipped a ball to about the 6 curving away from the keep and Flynn buried it in the back of the net.

The players that stood out to me were:
Davis Jenkins- you put almost any other keeper inbetween that pipes that game and its 7-3. He made a number of amazing saves. You can't say enough about the way that kid played tonight.
Enzo Martinez- Despite not scoring, he was always a threat. He is EASILY that most skilled player in the state no questions asked.
Antoine Parrish- Deadly speed with a strong foot. Very good first half. Didn't do quite as much aside from the one break in the second. Incredible athlete for a freshman and with a little bit of polishing will be an amazing player
Parker...- Did an excellent job on Kropp. Like people have been saying all year long. If you don't let Kropp play simple balls to feet, Alex and Enzo won't have it as easy. Alex and Enzo definitely had their chances, but Parker's play definitely helped out back there.
Zach Houghton- Very composed center back. He had to cover for his two marking backs several times after they were beat and did an excellent job keeping his feet and not stabbing in very dangerous situations.

If I were to give out and MVP or game ball or anything of that sort it would definitely go to Davis Jenkins. He kept that game from gettin out of control many times. I know that must be a tough one to swallow for NW, but SV did what they had to do to win. Congrats to both teams on a very exciting final.

E
goal kick
goal kick
E
so lets get a recount on how the game went.
who scored
howed the teams look

one can be beaten, two can defend themselves, but a a strand of three is not easily defeated
ehs1 #87643 05/15/07 01:32 AM
W
goal kick
goal kick
W
you just got the recap man.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
and tell me, Mike Bassett, did you see how badly Vance Benson played? Please tell me you saw it. Come on the kid played a pretty poor game.

E
goal kick
goal kick
E
sorry i hadnt updated the page and u posted about 10 seconds b4 me

excellent recap

one can be beaten, two can defend themselves, but a a strand of three is not easily defeated
ehs1 #87646 05/15/07 01:44 AM
A
goal kick
goal kick
A
I agree with you Midland on a lot of your points. Jenkins was spectacular in goal for SV. However despite what the stats read, I thought this was a very evenly played match. NW created more chances but SV matched it with pure heart and desire. They were very deserving of their victory.

Here are some of my thoughts on the game.
Parker did a sensational job of man marking Kropp. Ryan was barely a factor in the game as Parker challenged every single touch Kropp had.
Zach Houghton is an extremely talented center back. Enzo destroyed his marking back all night long but it seemed everytime he got to the box Zach was there to get some kind of touch on the ball to slow the play down. Which brings me too...
Enzo Martinez is by far, hands down the best player in the state. Even though he didn't score he created LOADS of chances for NW. Everytime he touched the ball, the entire crowd held it's breath. Northwestern should have scored off his play either by his passing or some of his own shots. He was very unlucky not to score.
Besides Enzo, Antoine Parrish was the second most dangerous player on the field. He finally exposed Northwestern for their weakness. He ran at their backs and made them look extremely average. His second goal he made a run out of his own half and making the last defender Robbie Benson look like he was standing still before sliding it right inside the back post. For those who stated Northwestern's defense was not a weakness, it came back to haunt them in the finals tonight as they were not very good.
The third goal was a phenomanal ball by Mike C. and just a good of finish by Sean. From where I was sitting it looked like the keeper should have come out as Sean headed it in around the six.

Overall GREAT game, and congratulations to a very scrappy and hard working Spring Valley team on the school's first ever State Championship.

throw in
throw in
Welshwizard - have you never heard the old, but wise, saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!"?

Congratulations to SV for earning your first State Championship - let's hear more about the good plays and exciting stuff!

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
I was also very disappointed in the play of Vance Benson and Alex Martinez. For all the hype they recieve they did not effect the game barely at all. I still believe that Kropp should be going to USC and Vance to USC Upstate because though Vance is a very hard working player he is not someone I think can compete at that level.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Good point Rosicky, I'll stay positive. Great game for the spectators. Hard fought and SV deserved to win. NW created more chances, but they were matched by an equally good back line of SV. Zach Houghton for SV was spectacular in the back. Also, although Enzo did not score, he and Antoine were the most dangerous players on the field. Enzo is by far the best player in SC hands down. The kid has it all. Well done by SV and NW.

throw in
throw in
That's why the D1 Coaches get paid "big bucks" to think and recruit, and not us!

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard