Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Quote:

Good post Jack and it was good seeing you in the press box on Saturday.

Ditto. Best of luck to both your boys!

S
bench
bench
S
Couldn't agree more...
The atmosphere was INSANE.

World Cup
World Cup
Jack - Well stated. Here are my thoughts from last night's match that I prepared for a local sports radio station in the Midlands for this morning:

Last night was very interesting.

On a possession chart, Northwestern dominated the match and was in control for 80% of the match. However, freshman Antoine Parris -- who I predicted would be a wild card in the match -- came to play last night for the Vikings and his two scores were sheer athleticism and power. He's going to be a special player for Spring Valley. Davis Jenkins was outstanding in the net and the Vikings were very efficient with their opportunities as Spring Valley only had 5-6 attempts all night.

Northwestern plays the way a lot of soccer enthusiasts hope the game can be played and, in years past, Spring Valley has been able to exploit the "beautiful game" in that same manner. However, this group of Vikings which was battle tested with a tremendous schedule this season, relied on a blue collar work ethic, physical aggressiveness, and pure grit.

Congratulations to Coach Dave Clark and Spring Valley on the Class 4A boys soccer championship! And, congratulations to Dom Wren and the Northwestern program on their tremendous run the past two years!

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Wish I could have seen the game but I was out there watchin number 1 get after it a bit with that black on black crime. SOD NO H DA

Stuff White People Like: #589 - Guy Fieri
throw in
throw in
Man i saw the stats of the game before i heard the final and when i heard that i was sure that NW won due to there 25 or so shots to SV 5 or so...but well done SV

"DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME THE PLAYER PLAYS"
C
kick off
kick off
C
Coach Clark deserves credit for a good game plan. SV felt NW was vulnerable to the counter because of the way NW commits so many players to offense. With the speed and talent the Parris kid has SV liked its chances in a one-on- one or even a one-on-two situation.

SV moved one of its season-long center mids to outside mid to try to take advantage of NW's customary loose marking of opponents' outside mids. Guess who was so wide open on the outside that he had time to look for the Flynn kid breaking toward the goal and make a perfect cross for the winning goal?

Just a few changes but boy did they pay off.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Quote:

That being said, I think you must also admit, that the vast majority of the guys playing club play for nights like tonight at Stone Stadium. Of course their club career goals are to succeed at the highest level - play premier soccer - etc..whatever. But you won't convince me that a match like tonight is any less special than a State Cup - I think a lot of people in Spring Valley will agree with me on this.

That's why the best players in the state STILL sweat, bleed, and cry (joy and agony) for their schools.. and that's why you HAVE to love high school soccer.

There's no question about it. Soccer players live for the state championship game, even in highschool. If one really loves soccer, he will embrace the moment of being at Stone Stadium. Now, I'm not sure players favor the highschool championship over club, but nonetheless they do value highschool soccer. In highschool some games are a joke (which makes many kids dislike highschool), but when the serious games come around, these good players get ready to play like it is the real deal (the playoffs are where dreams come alive). The best players want to represent their highschool and be able to say they are the best in the state. Same goes for club, they want to be the best in the state, but it is hard to compare the two. Highschool may in fact have the upper hand in emotions because so many fans, parents, and FRIENDS are there to watch and cheer you on. But club is more important to advance your career as a soccer player...go to college and stuff.

"Quit ball watchin' son!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard