Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
brace
brace
you can't spell and NO you don't (separate)—once you are eligible for a season—you are eligible—failing DURING a season would make you ineligible for the NEXT season—HSL—

to play spring, you have to meet reqs in fall—to play fall you have to meet reqs in spring (although you can make up problems in SS)—again—the school can do whatever they want above the HSL—

and re-read #5—it isn't about students or eligibility—

"5- Accountability for referees...i.e report cards from the coaches. A means to have fedback from your customers (don't forget who is paying the bill). The report is then reviewed and the referees are assigned accordingly."

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
throw in
throw in
ok i read the freaking rule and who are you the HSL President haha

"DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME THE PLAYER PLAYS"
brace
brace
just trying to help this discussion board stay accurate—

futbol(soccer) has made excellent suggestions—i like for us all to be careful and accurate—thanks for reading. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
coach
coach
futbol,
I agree with all but 5. Coaches assessing their own games will involve too much bias. And I doubt all games can feasibly be assessed. Maybe a trial run next year of assessing certain level games; possibly some top ten games in 4A & 3A. Have 2 assessors - a HS coach with no affiliation or bias towards the teams playing and a ref with at least 1 year experience. Possibly would also help coaches appreciate what refs can see and what they look for during a game. Also help the ref gaine further knowledge of what to look for when he/she is not actively doing the game.
Just a suggestion..........

C
Coach
Coach
C
All caps for emphasis notwithstanding, G&B is right on two points...

1. Student eligibility by High School League rules is established at the beginning of the semester, based on the previous semester's grades; grades incurred during the season have no effect on High School League eligibility requirements for that season, only the next. Regions, schools, and coaches can impose stricter requirements if they wish, but there is no statewide HSL rule that says a student must maintain a passing average during a sports season.

2. This has absolutely nothing to do with the question/suggestions that started this thread.

I've got good news and bad news...
K
corner kick
corner kick
K
Anybody ever think of coaches being black-balled? If coaches start turning in reviews of all the refs and a coach says something rude or inaccurate, is consistently complaining, says something against a popular ref, etc. then that coach may get stuck with the least experienced refs. Another scenario, like a pitcher from one team hitting a player from another in retaliation, a ref may come to a game with a chip on his shoulder for himself or colleagues and be a little more eager to give reds or penalty kicks then may be good for the game. There is a huge benefit to refs being immune from personal reviews and comments to keep them as unbiased as possible on the field.

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.--James Joyce I don't care about history...cuz that's not where I wanna be--Joey Ramone
F
Hat-Trick
OP Offline
Hat-Trick
F
Kickman.. I understand your point... I just would like to see if there was a way to have some accountability.

For example the NFL officials get challenge on a call and have a slomo review.

I am asking if there could be something done... I have been in games were a referee talks to the players and specofocally tells them he is not calling this or that because we do not need to score anymore.

The referees job is to allow a match to be played within the laws of the game, not to be the focal center. I understand that the NW vs SV game had a good crew (I was not there....). The lex vs Wando was the focal center and took away from the game.

I once was told that if you get 90% of the calls right you did a great job... I believe that. But in HS with 2 refs and the one blowing for a foul from 60 yds away when the infraction occurred 10 ft from the other guy creates problems.

goal kick
goal kick
Refs are in a precariously impossible position. For the team the call was against, it was a bad call. For the team the call was for, it was a good call. My husband refs and WILL NOT make a call unless he has a clear view of the play. Some coaches do not like the fact that he will not "assume" what the players are saying is true. If he has a bad angle or has several players between himself and the play, he feels he can not make a valid call.
There are some refs that will make calls without seeing the entire play. I do not agree that this is good for the game or the players. Even worse are those that have flagaphobia and won't call anything. But one thing I do know- a lot of refs are pompass and WILL hold negative comments against players and coaches. This is true in all regions and levels of play-club and school. 3man games would be heaven. I do not know a ref that wouldn't LOVE to have 3 officials at a game.
I personally feel there should be a group of reviewers who go to games and rate the refs. Perhaps some of the club board members or ADs/phys ed teachers. Unannounced and anonymous critique given to the assignors.

'A ten-foot keeper really should have stopped that' -Ron Atkinson
P
throw in
throw in
P
futbol, what lex vs wando game are you talking about and how was the ref the "focal center"

goal kick
goal kick
probably the girls state championship game, go read the girls thread if you have yet to hear.

i wanna stay inside
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard