Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Coach
Coach
C
Kyle,

You (and Chico) make a strong point. We don't see questions about "licensing" or "level of certification" for football, basketball, or baseball coaches, for example--even though there are millions of dollars worth of revenue and potential scholarships and future careers at stake for athletes in these sports each year. Why is it that soccer seems to be the only sport where many people are more concerned with coaching "credentials" than with coaching ability?

I've got good news and bad news...
S
throw in
throw in
S
I think the points you made are appropriate. My point to lfc, without offending or providing fodder for the certification/ability arguement, is what credentials does a coach require to assess an officiating crew. Notice, I never mentioned certification by a licensing organization.

I am assumeing lfc is referring the the high school football coach or PE teacher forced to take the position of soccer coach due to a lack of "qualified" soccer coach.

I would hope that there is a soccer officals association that would welcome the evaluation system by coaches. As I stated earlier, the SCHSL referee certification program is a sham. If they cannot produce the quality required it is time to look to another organization.

Brace
Brace
What license/certification does Steve Spurrier or Tommy Bowden hold?

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Concerning certifications. For the most part it was started to help the sport and educate its own. Not as a means to be exclusive but inclusive. The sport is such a great one that the players out paced the coaches.
Sometimes it is used to assist in a coaches resume, a standard that he can be measured by a perspective employer.
Some are overly concerned with the paper because it is something they can see. Someones abilities are not easily seen or understood.
I guess its like a drivers license. I have one and so did the butt head who cut me off the other day.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Great comments Coach Tim. I especially like the inclusion reference. Hopefully, the SCHSSCA can gain a united position on the needed changes in officating.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Oop, a grammatical error that usually invites too many responses..."officiating"

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Its cool I make a ton of grammer goofs, we are all in this great game together aye?
True standards have to be met, even if just to keep it all respectable. Then standards have to be raised.
We have been on a great ride of growth and these are just some of the pains. Everyone in the soccer family has to keep up with the players.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I hope, as our sport continues to progress, that we will continue to see an emphasis on quality of both coaching and officiating. For a lot of schools, soccer is just not a high priority, and yes, there are those football coaches and PE teachers who are asked to take positions in coaching because there's nobody else to do it, and providing a soccer program is seen as more of an obligation than a point of pride. As the sport grows in popularity and earns its respect, I have seen some shifts in even "non-soccer" schools toward hiring coaches who have demonstrated ability, whether on paper or on the field. I hope to see all elements of the sport, including players, coaches, and officials, showing a constant progress to match the growing popularity of the sport. Our kids who go out and give their best deserve to get the best.

I've got good news and bad news...
L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Kyle and the rest -

With all due respect, ya'll have taken my comments in a manner that was not intended or stated. Please take the time to re-read my previous post and note that I endorsed all of the suggestions in previous posts (including that of reviewing referees by coaches). I am in no way suggesting that coches be "certified" or "licensed". I simply suggested that any coach asked to review the performance of a referee first get a little experience under his or her belt.

Personally, I place little stock in most licenses or certifications and tend to look at a person's experience as the best indication of his or her ability.

Regardless, I have unwittingly touched on a subject that is sensitive to some coaches and apologize to anyone that took offense. However, I am going to stick to my suggestion that coaches asked to review the performance of a referee have some level of experience or expertise (i.e., if you were a player or referee in the past, then you may be qualifed to assess in your first year of coaching).

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard