Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
bench
OP Offline
bench
O
I received a post card this weekend about USA hosting a Labor Day tournament. It's the first I heard about it. Is anyone aware of specific teams that are going to participate. Have any teams from CESA, Bridge, CFC, CUFC committed? It's advertised as a classic/challenge tournament but I don't believe USA has ever fielded a challenge team. Just trying to understand what's happening and if it's a viable tournament.

O
bench
OP Offline
bench
O
Doesn't look good for the Upstate Soccer Alliance's Labor Day Weekend Tournament. Heard that only a couple of teams outside of their club applied. Accepted teams were to be posted by August 17th and there are none shown. Was it a total flop? Any information out there?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Alot of teams head to Atlanta for the Atlanta Cup...They need to find a date that works better

S
goal
goal
S
Disney is that weekend as well.

O
bench
OP Offline
bench
O
Teams accepted were finally posted. There are only 18 teams, outside of their own club, across 18 age brackets. Appears that they will have to combine age brackets to give each team at least 3 games. Someone didn't do their home work scheduling this tournament!!!

O
throw in
throw in
O
Please be accurate in your posts...

37 teams total
19 teams from outside the USA club
9 total age brackets

[edited to account for a couple drop-outs]

Not too bad for a start up tournament. First one in Spartanburg this decade, and we'll definately be doing it again.

Last edited by USAsoccer; 08/21/07 08:26 PM.
O
throw in
throw in
O
I would have just kept on ignoring you, but now you slam other clubs that have become our friends because they dare to send teams in to make this tournament a success. Shame on you!!!

I am done with this conversation, but will add....

Last edited by USAsoccer; 08/21/07 08:21 PM.
O
throw in
throw in
O
Kudos go out to:

ETSF, CUFC, SSC, ALFA, SGSA, ARESENAL, HVFC, SUMTER, JAMES ISLAND, BLUESPRINGS, CMSC, and COAST FA FOR HELPING TO GROW SOCCER IN SOUTH CAROLINA and make the Labor Day Cup a success.

We WILL remember and reciprocate whenever possible. Our club is staffed with great people just like you have that will do whatever they can to make your experience the best it can be and make you feel truly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

B
goal
goal
B
Be persistent, and define what you hope for your tournament to become.

To be honest, Labor Day is a tough date. However, that said, it can be a good date. The top teams tend to go to Atlanta, and not all teams want or need that. If you define/advertise your tournament to be a "Classic" level tournament, you should be able to achieve more success. If you strive to become a "Premier" level tournament, then you will be trying to compete with Atlanta, and that's going to be very difficult.

SSC used to have a very good turn out for a Labor Day tournament, so it can be done in SC. Bridge FA's first tournament only had about 35 teams also, but this years tournament was over 100.

It takes time and commitment to grow a tournament. Good luck to you.

Link Copied to Clipboard