Next Thread
Print Thread
#89824 08/17/07 11:03 PM
H
brace
OP Offline
brace
H
just found out that ft mill will offer soccer at its 3 middle schools.boys and girls.hurst66 what do you think this will do to the jv program since you now have 2 high schools.will 7th and 8th graders have to play soccer at the middle school.you have been awfull quite lately hurst.i havnt even seen you since i ran across that old ball coach barking out instructions at turner field.

World Cup
World Cup
A middle school team would have killed the JV program at Hanna. Don't know about SA, but when 40 girls tryout for 3 teams...ouch.

world cup
world cup
From what I've been told, and I got it from a very good source, 7th and 8th graders will have the option of playing JV. I assume that the better players will choose to go this route. If a 7th or 8th grader gets cut from HS JV, they can then try out and play for the middle school.

My take:
As SAHS mentions, numbers are tough, anybody who can walk and chew gum will play JV. Not much left for middle school. School administrators should consider allowing 6th graders to play middle school, just so they have enough numbers (and a few skilled players).

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
It only hurts temporarily. Richland 2 started middle school soccer 3 years ago and SV won state last year with 2 players from my first team. Antione Parris also never should have played Middle School soccer though. But obviously as a middle school coach, I support having middle school teams.

F
throw in
throw in
F
It will be quite different for many of the 7th graders to play JV compared to the past. Many 7th graders will not have played on a full field 11v11, with all the small sided games at the younger ages. Will be quite a shock to go to a big field, 11v11 versus 9th and 10th graders as your intial introduction to full sided games.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
7th grade is U13 in most cases......thats 11 a side. So by the time school ball rolls around in the Spring kids would have played a season in Club on the full field.

I think a bigger shock would be to have club soccer players playing middle school on a team with kids that have never played anything but rec.

Dumb question here.....but why are we trying to make school sports so all inclusive? Hey.....I want to build participation also, but not by dumbing it down. At the end of the day particpation needs to be earned. What sense of accomplishment is gained by "making" a team that everyone else did also?

When you cut as many kids for the JV team as what make it.....then start a middle school program. But if you have to scratch and claw to get 20 kids to tryout for JV, does starting a middle school program make sense?

world cup
world cup
As I stated on the other thread in this forum, the FMSD has decided that 7th graders cannot play on the JV this year, they must play middle school soccer.

This will hurt the JV.....quantity and quality.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
If 7th graders are no longer allowed to play jv.....then 6th graders should be allowed to play middle school. If not, then 8th graders should also play middle school only and JV's will be limited to 9th and 10th graders.

Which at Nation Ford will likely mean no JV team. Maybe Fort Mill also.

But I'd like to see it uniform throughout the school district. To have some talented 8th graders playing JV and other talented 8th graders playing middle school....will create mismatches and a lack of competition at the MS level.

S
goal
goal
S
Talent is a relative term as it pertains to JV soccer. As far as 3A JV soccer is concerned the talent is very watered down already. Starting up a middle school program to the detriment of the JV program just gives coaches from other sports another excuse to denegrate soccer programs.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Bingo!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard