Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Comparison
1. Olympic Development Program:
Description:
91's have met about four-five times this year for a 1.5 hour practice each, they attend 3 games in January and a camp w/ 4 games in Summer. The entire process costs about $1,100 not including the regional playoff in January 2008 and the National Tournament when and wherever that is.
Problems:
NO development occurs. ODP is exposure plain and simple.
The selection process is flawed, players that have been seen at regional tournaments and premier play are basically pre-selected, the attitude that the hidden player can be found through ODP is a joke.
Cost so far $1100 and claims that the cost prohibits the poor from participating, If you can’t pay to play for the top clubs at premier, what makes you think the kid can afford ODP too?
ODP offers no organized scholarship except that costs are passed on to the ODP team parents (this drives the cost up for a select few). SCYSA ODP does not solicit organized donations for the purpose of subsidizing ODP.
Boy’s Regional Camp held at Mississippi State: Mississippi State doesn’t even offer a Men’s Soccer program so why send my son there when he won’t even consider it for a college? DUH!
Players are seen by just a few coaches within the region. Not a lot of “exposure”.

2. Premier League or (Challenge / Classic)
Description:
11 games in 6 weekends over a period of 21 weeks, cost about $500-$600 for coaching fees plus travel, if you’re at CESA or DSC then 7 of 11 games are played in the upstate of SC and travel is minimal.
Issues:
Exposure is limited to SC, GA, and NC and basically anyone interested in coming to SC to see you play. Only if you make the regional by winning a state championship or winning Premier League will you make the cut to go to the regional. High risk of not being seen when you’ve already fronted the money.
Costs continue to rise for additional tournaments such as Disney and Region Tournament.
Limited to Fall play only with a possible summer regional event.

3. US Federation Development Academy
Description:
- Teams compete in three different types of game weekends: individual conference games, travel partner weekends and showcase weekends to provide them with the optimum balance of playing rhythm, economy of travel and exposure to scouts.
-30 games in 20 weekends over 31 weeks, cost $975 for coaching fees plus travel
- 8 conference winners receive all expenses paid trip to LA, CA for National Championships at the Home Depot Center
- Program Costs: $975 plus travel to games. Bridge FA has sponsorships to assist with costs associated with travel.
Guarantees: Training 3 days per week, Every player must start 30% of the games, Each game is limited to 7 substitutions with no re-entry.

Team Bridge FA, Conference Atlantic
Date Description Venue
6-Oct Fall Showcase CA
7-Oct Fall Showcase CA
13-Oct Richmond Kickers SC
20-Oct Richmond Strikers SC
3-Nov at Richmond Strikers VA
10-Nov Virginia Rush SC
17-Nov at Richmond Kickers VA
15-Dec at Virginia Rush VA
22-Dec CASL SC
5-Jan at Greensboro SC NC
6-Jan at CASL NC
12-Jan North Meck SC SC
19-Jan at South Charlotte NC
20-Jan at North Meck SC NC
26-Jan Greensboro SC SC
2-Feb Carmel United SC
9-Feb Michigan Wolves SC
23-Feb Empire FC SC
24-May Spring Showcase TX
25-May Spring Showcase TX
26-May Spring Showcase TX
31-May South Charlotte SC
7-Jun at Columbus Crew OH
8-Jun at Ohio Elite SA OH
14-Jun at Internationals OH
15-Jun at CASA OH
21-Jun VardarStars SC
28-Jun Summer Showcase tbd
29-Jun Summer Showcase tbd
30-Jun Summer Showcase tbd
12-Jul Finals CA
13-Jul Finals CA
19-Jul Finals CA
Issues:
Cost of travel, Club is good source to solicit donations to cover travel expenses, Club has already obtained donations to cover the first showcase event in Los Angeles, CA in October.
Fees are higher because of the extended season.
Exposure to SC, NC and VA for region play, OH, NY and MI for interregional play and CA & TX for showcase events. Opportunity for a coach to see you play from any where in the country. No risk because the schedule is set up front.
Fall and Winter play, season is suspended for Spring HS season, Academy season resumes in late Spring and Summer, offers year round exposure and maintains rhythm of play.

Soccer is simple, but it is difficult to play simple.
S
sid42 Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
Cmon Bear. No one has a gun to their head when deciding on this program or not. People can come and go as they please under the eyes of US Club and under policy(law) per SCYSA. I haven't heard of any lawyers getting involved in a player moving from one premier program to another for breach of the 'loyalty' contract although I think East Cooper has thought about it. lol. So I think everything is ok in that regard.

I am guessing your child is playing at the South Carolina challenge level. Why wouldn't he want to put himself against the best and develop over a year(s) in the USSDA? I'm sure many would say b/c their child gets the same service playing in the current structure which is debatable at this point. But if that truly was the case then why would US Soccer bother with this program at all.

Is it the trainer or the talent? That is always the question in the parking lot. US Soccer says (and I agree) it's both.

from pg 4 of USSDA Presentation pdf

The Problem – Player and Coaches’ View

In speaking to our NT coaches and NT players, Club Coaches and having three U.S. Soccer’s Technical Task Force meetings, a set of unanimous issues arose

Our players are entering the international arena behind their counter-parts around the world

Technically (comfort with the ball)

Physically (soccer specific characteristics)

Tactical knowledge and understanding

Less mentally prepared (discipline/commitment)

The environment of the elite player is not good enough

Youth players are stretched too thin

Too many games (up to 100 per year)

Not enough good games/competition (12-16 “good” games per year)

Limited/low number of training sessions

US Soccer is offering to help fix this problem by being the coordinator, QA while working with the club staff on improving training, nutrition etc etc. The intent is clear and simple:They want to repeat the success of Bradenton 64 times over.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Keeper...good breakdown. Do not know if you had a point on item 3.
ODP agreed it is flawed.

Number of players 18-

One airline trip at $400 per player (trust me it is cheap).
Showcase 1- $400
Showcase 2- $400
Showcase 3- $400
Total for schowcase $1600...ooops forgot the coach new total $1667
wait I have to get to Ohio....TWICE I guess you can choose to drive, I also assume since it is over two consecutive weekends that you will not be coming back

So hotel stay

Showcase 1 in CA (LA no less) You are not flying 5 hrs and 3 hrs time change and show up at the field. therefore you have to leave early friday at worst (no school that day? I guess one unexcused absence) and hope your flights and the stars all align (ask anyone who flies frequently). Therefore you have Friday, Saturday and Sunday hotel (assuming the red eye is not in the cards) at $100 at night (cheap in LA) 4 players to a room $75 for weekend ... add $30/day for food another $120... add coaches room and food

weekend 1 cost $400+75+120 plu s coach 22+17+ 7 = $641 compare to a tournamnet over the weekend where the only difference is transportation (say 2 full tanks at $60 per) difference is $280

Give me showcase 2 & 3 weekend at the same cost - $1282
By the way showcase 2 in Texas you miss 3 days of school as you have to travel on the 23 Wednesday on the weekend og memorial day ( prices for flights will not be as kind)

I'll give you the Va and NC trips

Ohio trip now we are talking a 10hr drive on the last week of school, on the weekend that I assume would be most high school graduation day June 7th (by the way mom I am not going to my graduation) 10 days of hotel and food $560 at the same rates as above (includes coach).

total for the major weeks $2483 plus I have to get to VA a few times plus the $1000 fee...

So we have numbers... what do they mean? NOTHING... because at U18 it is already too late for college exposure. Also I read somewhere that you have to play 30% of the games ( please correct me if I am wrong) so does that mean that I only pay 30% of the cost if I am number 16, 17 or 18 on the team? Does Johnny travel to Cali and not play a minute? besides mom and dad...who polices the compliance?

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 08/22/07 06:18 PM.
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
sid... what success has bradenton had?
technical skill... too late for these ages
Tactical skill .... too late for U18

S
sid42 Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
U-17 Residency Program

Started in 1999, the U-17 Residency has been able to develop players for professional and National Team competition

Operates with high training/game ratios

Focus on providing a good everyday training environment

Program has evolved from 18 players to 40 players in residency at a time

192 total players have participated in Residency

5 players in 2006 World Cup were from Residency

Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley, Oguchi Oneywu, Bobby Convey, Eddie Johnson

48 players have become professionals in MLS and Europe

All other players whose chose to play soccer in college were offered a scholarship

S
sid42 Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
futbol - above comes from the ussda presentation pdf. You seem stuck on the notion that at 17 it's too late. Well sure if they are the bottom of the barrel (no offense to anyone). If you have the talent and desire to learn you can still succeed at 17 and fix things.

Look at the NFL. They take raw athletes all the time from college programs and make them into elite professional athletes. It is possible to learn at 17. I don't think we're talking about the so so player here. What we're talking about is the underachieving comfy group that has been on the top team since U14.

Those kids and coaches need some motivation don't you think?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Sid ...God knows I am still learning but I think we are comparing apples with oranges...

I am not stuck on the notion it is a fact that i am currently living with.... U18 it is too late. Coaches at the top institutions have already set their sight on their picks for the 2008 class... this is fact, again I am happily dealing with it as we speak. So playing 10 games or 20 at U18 means nothing if you are looking to go to the South carolinas or Clemsons of college soccer... you will note my previous comment that U16 was a different animal.

Having said that the point of USSF

technical - It does not take a brain surgeon to know that if you are technically capable by u13/14 then you can spend your time on other aspects of the game

Physical - always work on that regardles of age

Tactical - All the brains in the world will not make you see something if noone can complete a 10 yrd pass.

Mentally prepared - How does this change anything?

Streched too thin - Ok now you are concentrated and streched all over the country or still too thin because you want to play HS.

Too many games -OK

Not good enough competition - I would say 12 to 16 is a season... the rest o fthe time they are in HS which we all know is not as good.

# of training sessions - minimum of 3 ...most competitive teams train a minimum of 3

Bradenton is an academy for "elite athletes" (that can pay). You are taking the best players FROM THE COUNTRY an placing them in an environment conducive to their needs... How can you say that this will equal 64 Bradentons? Are the players going to 1/2 soccer and 1/2 schools in the new USSF academy?

Funny thing is that I am not really arguing with you, I am arguing with the focus/the need.... you want players you have to get them younger, u18 is not relevant... However it does provide an opportunity for the U17 national team to play in a league... Interestingly all these other teams how come their players are not in the U17 team?...

SID I do not know if you are a player or a parent.... I am a parent ex-player who wished that many of the opportunities of today where available back then. A change is needed to simplify everything not make it more convoluted.
U18 has no benefit in this scenario. Should have started with one year maybe U16... the next year you have u17 and U16.... the year after that you have U18, U17 and u16.... also do not forget that it is birth year... One would assume that the front half of the 89s would be preparing for college so you only have the second half and whatever 90s if they are allowed.

B
goal
goal
B
Quote:

Cmon Bear. No one has a gun to their head when deciding on this program or not. People can come and go as they please under the eyes of US Club and under policy(law) per SCYSA. I haven't heard of any lawyers getting involved in a player moving from one premier program to another for breach of the 'loyalty' contract although I think East Cooper has thought about it. lol. So I think everything is ok in that regard.

Cmon Sid. I agree no one is holding a gun to their heads. But there was very heavy pressure, with not much in the way of alternatives offered, if you wanted to play competitive soccer. I won't go into the details that I've heard about how it went down.

Quote:

I am guessing your child is playing at the South Carolina challenge level. Why wouldn't he want to put himself against the best and develop over a year(s) in the USSDA? I'm sure many would say b/c their child gets the same service playing in the current structure which is debatable at this point. But if that truly was the case then why would US Soccer bother with this program at all.

Where my child is playing is immaterial to this discussion. But since you've chosen to narrow the discussion to my child I'll respond accordingly. You're asking me to agree that the "best" are going to be in the academy somewhere in the united states, and he may or may not play them in one of the events. (After all, if he's on a 20 player roster, with an 18 player game day roster, he may not even be selected to go on the trip, let alone play.) I think where the best are going to be is yet to be determined. What I will say is, I really feel my child is getting better service where he is playing than he would get playing in the Bridge FA USSDA program.

Quote:

Is it the trainer or the talent? That is always the question in the parking lot. US Soccer says (and I agree) it's both.

I fully agree it's both. It's also personal dedication and commitment. Somewhere in there is a factor of trust also. I've always heard trust is hard to earn and easy to lose, and once lost, it's never fully earned again.

kick off
kick off
May be helpful, from US Soccer website:

The Advantages
• Focus on superior everyday training
environment increases development of
player leading to more future opportunities
(college, professional, National Team).
• Increased connection of Elite players to U.S.
National Team program through enhanced
scouting by U.S. Soccer National Team
coaches.
• The U.S. U-16 and U-17 National Teams will
participate in Academy League competitions.
• Better scouting environment for College,
Professional and National Team coaches.
• Better coaching development platform –
each club receives two invitations to the U.S.
Soccer Development Academy Best
Practices seminars (U.S. Soccer pays for
room, board and participation fees).
• Better referee development platform – U.S.
Soccer assigns referees to Academy
matches.
• Direct connection to U.S. Soccer coaches for
best practice training and curriculum
recommendations and advances.
• Academy finals held annually at the Home
Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
• Players receive integrated oversight from
youth club coaches and U.S. Soccer
coaches, while training in their home
environment.
• Recruiting ability enhanced for Youth
National Teams, MLS and college coaches,
with players being provided an online profile
for coaches to access easily.
• U.S. Soccer maintained website devoted to
Development Academy.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Redcard.... To bear's point...
Statement 1 - it is the same club, the same coach the same players... what is different now than before.? What am I paying for now that I was not getting before? and Why was I not getting the option before?
STatement 2 - I connect with the Elite player.....WOW !!! did you see who just walked bye?
STatement 3 - Ha... a league for them to play in so they can get better.... but what about statement 10?
Statement 4 - OK
Statement 5 - OK
Statement 6 - How in the world are you going to tell me that blind boy over there was not the same guy that refereed last week... Are they saying they will be flying in refs? What does it pay? Maybe I should begin reffing...
Statement 7 - OK
Statement 8 - why in the west coast? But OK they pay for it
Statement 9 - I'll believe when I see it... I guess Bradley and friends will come down to Charleston to oversee a practice.... how many times?
Statement 10 - HUH?! what about statement 3? I am not aware of any coaches who base their opinion on a players resume.
Statement 11- OK

Again do not get me wrong, I think it should have started different. Eventually USYSA will have to be differentiated by USSF. I wonder how much money USYSA pumps into USSF... Probably not much.....

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard