Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
sid42 Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
Jumanji. I believe one aspect you are lost on is the fact that this venture isn't about merely the opportunity. As you alluded and all of us are aware including US Soccer, there are plenty of collegiate and professional opportunities.

Key word - "Development" in the program name.

US Soccer acknowledges the current status & successes within the affiliates structure. Yet they experienced the effects of the limitations as well. See MLS - World Cup 2006. US Soccer's focus with this program is on improving the level of play. They studied and feel these ages are mistreated in the current structure to the detriment of international and domestic professional play.

So Yes this doesn't change the wheel necessarily, but maybe the engine will work faster and therefore US Soccer on the highest level will perform better.

That's what US Soccer wants and they are positioned to try to directly make an impact instead of waiting on the affiliates. Is there some corporate motivation in there? Sure. But in America the two go hand and hand.

world cup
world cup
sid,

Is the idea behind this "development" or "identification"?

I think it is identification....an attempt to fill a void where the National Team gurus probably recognize that the ODP system has come up short.

As for development, I'll argue that there are some pretty fine trainers/coaches around here, that are not even connected with R3PL programs, who do a tremendous job of teaching foot skills, technique and tactics to players who have the ability (and want to get better).

I believe the Development Academy is trying to get the BEST kids out there playing in the most COMPETITIVE environment, so that they may be identified.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal
goal
S
Can someone please explain to me how the best kids in South Carolina are now going to head to Bridge to compete in this academy program? This might happen in later years of the program but my advice would be to take a wait and see attitude to this program. How has SCYSA and thus ODP weighed in on this program? This announcement seems to be a little late as well. Tryouts for clubs have been made and commitments paid. Why would I want my son to forfeit those in hopes that this program works? Also, with the limiting factor of SC playing High School in Spring also would cause me concern. If my decision is the norm (?) then the academy for SC will not include the best players in the State but merely players from one location in the State. At least the ODP program attempts to identify the best players in the State. I don't see where this program is making that attempt. It seems to me that this program will be for those players who desire to be included in the academy as opposed to those players identified to be in the academy. One day these may become the same, however, playing games that will not be visible to local players (future academy participants) will make the academy program rather invisible. How do they plan on promoting this program throughout the State to attract those that are qualified? BTW-if they are securing sponsors for travel of just this team when do NCAA rules come into effect regarding eligibility?

S
sid42 Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
S
I agree - Identification. The oversight, coaching trickle down events are in place to try to ensure some level of quality on a shoe string budget. If they started to fork out of some $$ back to the clubs then the game changes yet again.
It's probably a good time for the young barristers out there to look into the Soccer Player Agent trade.

world cup
world cup
There are some guys up north running their own little academies who are acting as agents. Their philosophy is that the player is signed to the club, they develop the player....and they take the player to these invitation-only matches/tournaments that are attended by European club scouts.

I believe these guys feel that they are then entitled to a piece of the signing bonus (or transfer fee)?

Anybody else aware of this? Is this the way of the future?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I have heard of this kind of thing in baseball..These agents will charge the parents monies and in return they will help them get noticed or recruited by some college to play ball..And I think the parents end up with a cool dvd of their child playing ball

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
The timing of this is awful and will be curious to see who comes out to the tryouts this weekend. If they attract kids (already rostered and paid) from other clubs, what will the trickle down effect be for the other clubs and leagues? Will Bridge players get bumped if better players tryout? Or, what happens to the Bridge kid who's parent does not want Junior playing in this league? Where do those displaced kids play? Did the powers to be discuss this with the parents prior to making this decision? Does the sponsorship for travel take away funds from the rest of Bridge teams (8 or so teams suffer for the benefit of 2)?

I will sit back and watch as this unfolds. My gut feeling is that the negatives will be greater than the positives. The potential effects on the other Bridge teams and clubs that lose players at this point of the season could be significant.

There is one thing for sure. Club soccer is never boring.

world cup
world cup
cht,

This is a little different. This isn't some guy with a recruiting service as a side business....this is a DOC of a small club with an academy structure.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard