Print Thread
#8999 02/22/03 04:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let me know what your thoughts are on this issue. I posted this on the coaches board also. I want to know what the players think and how you handle it with your team
Team A is dribbling down field they make passes to each other and a player from team A falls down injured. Team B, who was on defense, seeing the player down kicks the ball out of bounds so the injured player can be tended to. The result is team A's throw-in.
I know there is no rule about this, but so far the teams I have played have always taken the throw-in and thrown it to the other team. In my opinion, a thank you for letting us tend to our injured player. I was under the impression this was an "unwritten rule" that most teams follow and abide by.
Are the teams I am coaching against, and my team, too nice in doing this? The reason I ask is we played a game last night in which this happened. The opposing team had a player go down, we kicked it out so the injured player could be tended to. They throw it in to themselves and make a break on goal, luckily with no goal scored. My team is probably not the best team in the state. So far this year I have been lucky to make a team, we are not a soccer school. My kids play soccer from the end of January til whenever the season ends. As their coach I am trying to teach them the game as well as, in my opinion, sportsmanship. Do I need to go back to my team and tell them not to worry about an injured player, to play and when the time comes the injured will be tended to?
What are the circumstances that you and your teams go by in this case?

#9000 02/24/03 03:00 AM
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Coach S, You've got it right. If a team kicks it out of bounds so that an injured player can get treatment then the sportmanly thing to do is for the team that had the injury throw it back to the team that kicks it out. Sometimes we throw it to our player so that he can kick it out, giving the injured team the ball there. When the refs restart with a drop ball, because no one had possession when he blew the whistle, we step away from the ball. That's my opinion on how it should be done. But I'm old school.

#9001 02/24/03 03:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree. It is an unwritten rule that when a player goes down and one team shows class by kicking the ball out so the player can be attended to, the throw in should go back to the team that played the ball out. This doesnt always happen depending on the team and coach you play, and what kind of team it is. Just my opinion, and not knowing what happened in this case. The coach may have told the player to do so and he just didnt know better. But in future instances such as this just do what you know is good sportsmanship. Yes you will run across teams who may not have this same philosophy, but just because they try and take advantage of it, doesnt mean you should abandon your philosophy.

#9002 02/24/03 03:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is an unwritten rule, and in the code of ethics for soccer teams...it should be respected and followed

Link Copied to Clipboard