Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
When are we going to start teaching our ladies how to play like this? There are 13-year old girls who used to dribble by everyone from U-8 through U-12. Great moves, triple stepovers, Jamaican rolls....great first-touch and juggling ability.

But when these girls hit U-13 and join the super club, playing like this is no longer an option. "Don't hold the ball!" "2 touches". "Get rid of it and move".

Full speed ahead (and I do mean forward). Forget the creativity....get the result. Knock it forward to the big girls and apply pressure. Win the second ball. (That's always worked for the Womens National Team).

Is it time to step back and take a longer look at our player development? Can we "dance" with the ball and still get a result?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
World Cup
I guess coaches are scared of having one dominant player who can be "marked out" of a game. I like playing with a stud (Caitlin Robinson). When unmarked she dominates, when unmaked other things open up (Molly Harpe, Taylor Craft, etc.).

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
It is interesting to consider. Given the chance to draft a team of Martas we would scoop up all we could find. Then when we started training we would attempt to deprogram eveything that attracted us to the player from the start.
The source of the skill that she has is internal and is joy. Joy with herself and the ball. Sometimes coaching is done at times harsher than in boot camp. What is learned is a machine like work with the ball. So of course you wish to pass it "give the load to someone else" When it is a joy it is your dance partner. Most will "dance" away from practice, fewer will "work" with a ball away from the field.
The results of a mistake in the dancing are just a funny thing that happens. In work you loose a toe and it is displayed on the Jumbotron.
Stepping back and allowing the flower to bloom is tough, but the tough road is worth it.

World Cup
World Cup
You had me until we started sniffing flowers

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Ok ok, related story with no flower sniffing.
I was officiating a game last week U12s. The coach admitted he knows zero about the sport was yelling at everything. The players were getting rid of the ball at every chance they could. No touch no style no soccer. Once having the kids all in helter skelter mode he switched his attacks on me. Which I rather hear than the kids getting the verbal abuse. Two kids at midfield took the chance to make a play. The ol' 1-2, give an go it left the defender flatfooted. The coach had no idea what he just saw, so what does he do?
Yells. Why are you playing the ball backwards? Backwards? He repeated the word 5 times in the kids face.
Those who know this game, let's play it backwards.

World Cup
World Cup
I think that guy coaches at T.L. Hanna now!!! Go Clint Bowyer!!!!!!

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
what is your point? You're not going to score any goals playing away from the goal.

Bobby Labonte! Hah! That pink car suited you.

World Cup
World Cup
Scoreboard!

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
You guys really know how to hijack a thread.....and manage to bore us all at the same time with nonsense concerning your fantasy NASCAR league.

Get a room!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
World Cup
You're just mad you found a thread you can't become the center of attention with! HA!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard