Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
There is truth to about everything said. The park west fields were a travesty with the markings. I witnessed at least 4 different goals where a goalkeeper started coming out then stopped because they were about to run out of the box. Those saves would have been made. Don't feel bad about moving to an "elite" bracket. I saw games where some U-13 teams were playing in a U14 bracket. At least you were on age.
I do believe that a coach can encourage a team in this situation. For example, in the U14 bracket, there was a summerville team playing a year up. that team should be encouraged that their losses were 1-0, 2-0, and 2-0. This could be built on. If you played within your own club and only lost to the team an age group above you by 2 goals, it would be a succesful scrimmage. To do it for a whole tournament is encouraging.
I guess it comes down to whether you are trying to grow and develop for state cup or win every tournament? It was obvious that some clubs even played down just to win. The players will get better experience playing up and struggling then they ever will playing down and destroying everyone.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
As for the schedule, our club's first game was at 11 a.m. Saturday. Started roughly on time. At noon, I noticed that two of the fields next to ours were empty - no games.
But the kicker was our 8 p.m. game was delayed for at least 1.5 hours. It was over between 10:30-11. Too sleepy to remember. (There was one game still playing on a far field after we finished).
Then we had to play at 9:30 on Sunday.
Somewhere during Saturday afternoon things got really stacked up. On e tournament worker told me that a large number of injuries slowed down play.
The delay did allow us to watch a very good CofC v Furman men's game Saturday night.

M
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
M
Cesa and LL played a game in the morning and the bridge and Hilton head did not because they did not want to play a morning game for a stupid reason! So CESA and LL had to play the other two teams who were fresh. Then on top of it the re-scheduled game (between HH and Bridge) went too late and they called the coaches of LL and Cesa at 11:20 at night to notify them their sunday game was switched from 8am to 11am. Are you kidding me? Trying to get a hold of parents that late is a nightmare. Furthermore, the tournament might be micromanaged, or whatever the heck that other person said, who knows nothing obviously. The management and the micromanagement of the tournament was pathetic and done with no consideration to the visiting teams! Our club spent about $6000 in charleston this last weekend (between 3 teams Tourn. fee, hotels, and food). It may not make a difference to them, but we will not go back next year! By the way our complaint was not really playing in the upper division it was just the whole unfolding of events.

Last edited by ALLAN; 10/22/07 06:47 PM.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
We also played in the U14 age group, and from what I understand, the times of the matches were rescheduled to accommodate some testing on Saturday morning that some of the Hilton Head team were planning on going to. It was either reschedule the times or they would not be able to come. I think the rescheduling was the best of the two options. I would also like to add that our team is from Charleston and we did not receive any special considerations because of this.

M
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
M
It was not testing. It was a couple of girls missing because of a cross country meet. They threatened not to come unless the game changed. Nice to get the factual info.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I stand corrected, regardless of the reason, it seems Mt. Pleasant was between a rock and a hard place and had no choice but to reschedule the times for Saturday. As for Sunday, with the injury that delayed the games on Saturday night and the teams not coming off the pitch until close to 11pm, and scheduled to play again at 8am, rescheduling the match was in the best thing to do.

Last edited by Soccer4fun; 10/22/07 07:15 PM.
goal
goal
Sounds like a total mess down there. Glad my son's team didn't participate. This isn't the first time they have screwed up tournaments at Mount Pleasant. Pretty much par for the course!

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
The actual main complaint I heard from the girls is that the tournament sold out of the yellow tie-dyed t-shirts by 10:30 a.m. Saturday morning.

J
goal kick
goal kick
J
Mt. Pleasant scheduled games every 90 minutes on the fields I was at. The halfs were 40 minutes with a 5 minute half time. Hello? Mt. Pleasant has been around enough tournaments to know 90 minutes is too close to be scheduling games.....it should have been every two hours. The games I attended were also delayed on Saturday.

M
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
M
Quote:

I stand corrected, regardless of the reason, it seems Mt. Pleasant was between a rock and a hard place and had no choice but to reschedule the times for Saturday. As for Sunday, with the injury that delayed the games on Saturday night and the teams not coming off the pitch until close to 11pm, and scheduled to play again at 8am, rescheduling the match was in the best thing to do.

You have got to be kidding! What planet are you from? In who's best interest? So they would be sleep deprived. No different than LL and CESA playing a game and playing the next one against a fresh team. Let's get one thing strait, it was all about money. They could have let HH pull out and call their bluff, which it was. HH did the same thing to LL during the season, whining about players that were not going to be there. That is a kind of a slap in the face to rest of the team in my opinion-they should have more respect for the rest of the team. I do not care who is missing from the team, we will play and I don't care if I had to play down-done it! Furthermore, Mt. Pleasant could have easily bumped up USA Spirit or CUFC in their place who had already beaten LL this year. Instead they screwed up all the times for most everyone because of a few-there's logic for ya!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard