Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
throw in
throw in
S
But why is it that SC "girls" can't score but the "boys" apparently can? In looking at the R3PL standings, the boys are very competitive with ALL of the teams except two (MPSC 16s and CUFC 15s)with a positive goal diffrential while drawing from this same "shallow and narrow" pool. Is the boys side in R3PL really "watered down" with the Academy program (as some of our lowcountry brethren have suggested) or are our boys farther along in their development and skills than the girls for some reason?

brace
brace
Boys world—different world. In each state the pool for boys is LARGER than the pool for girls—so the impact is pronounced when we compare. SC soccer overall is not up to other states but the gap appears larger for females because females are less likely to participate in sport than males in ALL sports.

I hope that is clear—I have coached both males and females—as has my wife. By definition, this is a sexist comment, but I intend it NOT to be a negative one. Boys and girls are different.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Again, I don't know how many girls are "lost" to NC, but...
Very few boys play in NC because the high school season there is in the fall and club in the spring. Opposite of SC. The good boys (Martinez brothers, etc.) have no choice but to stay in SC and play. The girls leave and then get split up among 3 Charlotte clubs and 2 York clubs. If you took all of the U16 girls from Clover and Fort Mill and put them on one team, I think you would have a very strong premeir team. One that could score.
There are more boys playing. There are more HS boys teams than girls teams (last time I checked). Now add that you are losing some of the better ones from certain areas and it hurts. Why doesn't the HS league put a rule in that says you must play all amatuer ball in the state in order to play HS here? It will never happen, but... Or, why not change the SC girls season to fall? That would force all of those players to come back.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
brace
brace
It is impossible to translate high school performance to R3PL—sorry. PL players do very well in high school. But I and others who post here will tell you, boys and girls, high school performance cannot predict PL level of play—not even close.

Even WITHIN high school, the stats don't mean much. I watched a team in the playoffs last spring face a team with one of the top scorers in the state at that classification; the team and the player put up pretty big numbers all year. The player scored 0 goals in the match as did her team, which fell by double digits.

That sort of imbalance rarely happens in PL or at regionals; look at the scores of regionals and then nationals.

I mean no disrespect to high school stats—I am proud of my daughter's career HS stats!—but they mean little as predictors of PL success.

S
throw in
throw in
S
G&B
I will certainly agree with you that boys and girls are different and that the boys will draw from a larger pool-- especially if more boys are playing rec soccer (an assumption on my part). But is there really that much of a difference given the disparity of success between the boys and girls in R3PL? For example, the success at the 18 age group on the boys side with Lexington and CUFC who don't have the "draw area" of CESA (I would hazard a guess that most of the boys come from the Midlands) goes against the conventional wisdom of larger pool to draw from (just imaging if those two teams WOULD pool their talent!). Maybe this is a drop off of talent in premier league this year.

But your theory IS supported by the historical success of Discoveries and Aiken Fire (? our most successful teams is premier league and regionals?) who both drew from all over the state as well as out of state.

But I would think that the success of CESA and with their training sites in Columbia, Charleston, Rock Hill and Asheville that their "pool" would have expanded enough to overcome the shallow talent pool in SC and lead to more success in premier league play and regionals--not just for CESA but for all the other clubs "chasing" CESA as well as they try to improve their teams.

Hopefully we can beat the bushes to bring more kids/athletes to this wonderful game and maybe we can suprise some folks with success at regionals if not this year then some time in the future..

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Don't misunderstand me, I agree that HS stats aren't the same. My argument is that a pretty darn good team could be made from FM and Clover kids that "defect" to NC. Not that they would be premier league level, but I know that at least one Charlotte team won the USA Cup in Minn. at a U 14 level. Very good tournament. I would assume that those kids would play well if they came back to SC and added a few others. I agree that HS can be inflated.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
brace
brace
I also have meant to add that we saw this in the Clash girls match—remember?

SC scored a PK, only—even with some quality HS finishers. SC was anchored by some HS players who were also defenders on a very successful PL team.

NC had a wealth of club players—scored 3 goals (1 of which was a PK). But anyone seeing that match would have said that NC girls seems to take more powerful and frequent shots.

Again, imbalance. Not that NC girls are individually better than individual SC girls (SC has nearly caught NC, I believe, in some respect at the regional level), but NC still has more of them on any given team.

S
bench
bench
S
Garnet

Population may come into play somewhere. Numbers aren't everything, but it has got to be factored in.

IMO, NC should be much stronger, it has about twice the population of SC.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Don't misunderstand me, I agree that HS stats aren't the same. My argument is that a pretty darn good team could be made from FM and Clover kids that "defect" to NC. Not that they would be premier league level, but I know that at least one Charlotte team won the USA Cup in Minn. at a U 14 level. Very good tournament. I would assume that those kids would play well if they came back to SC and added a few others. I agree that HS can be inflated.

This is probably the Koalas......'91 girls. They actually won USA Cup at U13...went back at U14 and did well, but didn't win that year. The bulk of the girls are still together....playing in NC. With 1 exception (Alex at CESA) they are all playing in NC. And yeah....if they all came together you'd have 16-20 very talented girls.

But.....there is no magical vehicle to pull them all together to play in SC. Club structure isn't there, kids have settled in with existing teams, etc.

But I'd say this....if you got these girls together on one team with a quality coach......they would win SC State Cup, hands down.

world cup
world cup
The four Charlotte teams, that these '91 (U-16) girls all play for, won their first round NCYSA State Cup play-off games earleir today. Charlotte Soccer Club Blue, Charlotte United Gold, Charlotte United Green and Charlotte United Emerald (Koalas) all enter Sunday's second round of group play with a record of 1-0.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard