Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
As a coach in lexington told his parents U11 girls team...

"this is not a sprint, it is a marathon"

It matters somewhat what they do and how they do it at the younger ages, but it is more important what they do and how they do by 16...thus development is key (with some succes in between).

If the player never makes a mistake, how is he/she going to learn?

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

You have a talented, motivated kid.....and you give them every opportunity to play and grow and get better.....until they peak out. And they will peak out. And the realization for these young kids and parents....that they aren't as good as they thought can be rough.

I agree most kids will peak out but I will never be the one to tell my kid he may peak out. Instead I preach work ethic and how bad do you want it. It's all about heart,drive and how much you are willing to work at it. Like everything else in life you should always continue learning. If you are willing to do this it will be quite a while before you "peak out". I will also agree to disagree on the U9 - U13 is where development occurs statement. I agree winning becomes a much bigger focus from U14 on up but if it's not about development at the older ages why do the coaches even hold practice?

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
I don't know when you determine a kid has "peaked out"?

I know a kid can reach a level when they hit a ceiling, but I would consider that temporary. I wouldn't consider it "The Peter Principle".

I would move the player a level down, into a situation (hopefully still competitive) where they could succeed and still enjoy playing the game.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

I don't know when you determine a kid has "peaked out"?

I know a kid can reach a level when they hit a ceiling, but I would consider that temporary. I wouldn't consider it "The Peter Principle".

I would move the player a level down, into a situation (hopefully still competitive) where they could succeed and still enjoy playing the game.

Re-read my post, because that was my point. When its not fun anymore...slide down a level and start having fun again.

You don't like Peter Principle then how about Survival of the Fittest? The higher you go..the rarer the air. All these kids are athletic, focused, hard working. If a gap develops between your kid and the rest of the elite pack, can he/she catch back up? Of course....but doing so means you child must improve at a faster rate than those in front of them. Not an easy thing to do....considering again that the kids are athletic, focused, etc.

Trends can be reversed but the likelihood of doing so is limited.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Quote:

You have a talented, motivated kid.....and you give them every opportunity to play and grow and get better.....until they peak out. And they will peak out. And the realization for these young kids and parents....that they aren't as good as they thought can be rough.

I agree most kids will peak out but I will never be the one to tell my kid he may peak out. Instead I preach work ethic and how bad do you want it.

I agree totally!!!

It's all about heart,drive and how much you are willing to work at it.

Pretty much agree with this. To it however, I'd add coaching and system of play. If your kid is just a number...just another player to the coach then all of the heart and hard work won't amount to squat unless they are a superstar. Also system of play comes into play. If coach is looking for big fast run thru walls kinds of players and your kid is small, quick, possession oriented....good luck there too.

Like everything else in life you should always continue learning.

Yup, agree totally

If you are willing to do this it will be quite a while before you "peak out".

Maybe, maybe not. If your teammates improve at a faster rate than you.....your role on that team will be capped.

I will also agree to disagree on the U9 - U13 is where development occurs statement. I agree winning becomes a much bigger focus from U14 on up but if it's not about development at the older ages why do the coaches even hold practice?

No one said development doesn't happen. Just that the prioroty shifts to results and player identification. Of course there's room to get better, faster, more technical. But from U13-14 the priority at a CESA or a CASL or a Bridge or a CSC is all about winning, if you're on a Premier team. The coach at the team meeting in June doesn't talk about goals for the season being about the kids being better. He talks about State Cup. Disney. Earning a R3PL slot.

These are my experiences at this level. Not saying they are everyone's.....but they are mine

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Boy, did I booger that post up!!! I have obviously hit my ceiling as a poster....

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"I agree most kids will peak out but I will never be the one to tell my kid he may peak out. Instead I preach work ethic and how bad do you want it."

I agree totally!!!

"It's all about heart,drive and how much you are willing to work at it. "

Pretty much agree with this. To it however, I'd add coaching and system of play. If your kid is just a number...just another player to the coach then all of the heart and hard work won't amount to squat unless they are a superstar. Also system of play comes into play. If coach is looking for big fast run thru walls kinds of players and your kid is small, quick, possession oriented....good luck there too.

"Like everything else in life you should always continue learning. "

Yup, agree totally

"If you are willing to do this it will be quite a while before you "peak out". "

Maybe, maybe not. If your teammates improve at a faster rate than you.....your role on that team will be capped.

"I will also agree to disagree on the U9 - U13 is where development occurs statement. I agree winning becomes a much bigger focus from U14 on up but if it's not about development at the older ages why do the coaches even hold practice? "

No one said development doesn't happen. Just that the prioroty shifts to results and player identification. Of course there's room to get better, faster, more technical. But from U13-14 the priority at a CESA or a CASL or a Bridge or a CSC is all about winning, if you're on a Premier team. The coach at the team meeting in June doesn't talk about goals for the season being about the kids being better. He talks about State Cup. Disney. Earning a R3PL slot.

These are my experiences at this level. Not saying they are everyone's.....but they are mine

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

Development?

Development is for U9-U12.....maybe U13. But once you start playing State Cups, R3PL, etc etc.....its only about winning. Period.

I guess I took this statement to mean after U13 its only about winning. Period.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I believe that if you are on a top team at a Club like CESA or Bridge or Concorde Fire or CASL...that at U13-14 winning becomes the dominant priority, not player development.

Period.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
And things like playing time for the 15th kid on the roster takes a distant back seat.

And if the kid/parent aren't ok with that (I wouldn't!!)....
drop down to the next team. Play, have fun, get better as a player.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard