Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
As the season comes to a close with conference championships, tournament championships, promotion/relegation, and state cup titles at stake, I see a lot of coaches of competitive teams (college, high school and club) having to make some tough decisions. Playing time is at a premium. Many kids who have been very good players throughout their careers, and have acheived a roster spot on a top-notch team, are now finding themselves spending a lot of time on the bench. Some don't even get into the match. I guess this is one of the many sacrafices you make for playing at the highest level.

I've also seen expanded rosters. Many college teams carry over 25 players. Many competitive club teams are carrying 17 and 18 players. The revenue is good but it makes it very tough on the coach come crunch time.

My experience is that girls are a little different from boys. Both genders want to be on the field, but with girls, I really feel that they have a little more sympathy toward their teammate on the bench. Girls want to see their friends happy and girls want to see their teammates play.

As a parent, it can be very uncomfortable too. Your kid is playing, your buddy's kid (the best friend of your son or daughter) is not. How do you sympathize? What do you say?

As the parent of the kid who is not perhaps getting the playing time you think they deserve (when the games become very important)....what do you do? Your kid is in tears after the match. If the team won....hey, be positive ("Great game, huh?")

If your team lost, and you feel your kid is getting a raw deal.....do you find yourself relishing in a little schadenfreude? Do you feel guilty about feeling this way?

Thoughts?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Goal
Goal
But there is an "M" and an "E". Also, Darwinism applies: only the strong survive (or play)!

Victory Starts Here!
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Absolutely 202677.

There's no middle ground. Nobody gets a guarantee that once they get on the "A" team, that everything is going to be peachy.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Been on both sides of the fence with this one..No any answers for anyone.I always tried to talk about anything else but as to why my child is or is not playing..I always stressed the FUN factor in the game..If they are not having fun then they should be playing where it is fun for them..Even the ones that are playing at a higher level seem more or get more frustrated at times with the game..It's not an easy road for anyone

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Development - It's all about touches on the ball. I would rather my kid be on a good team getting playing time and touches than on a great time and getting little playing time. Same thing in high school with the transition from JV to varsity. I would rather see a 10th grader playing JV and being a vital part of the team than on varsity and sitting.

corner kick
corner kick
^ Agreed. Can't develop players if they don't get meaningful playing time. Meaningful meaning that playing is not with 5 minutes left and you are up 3-0 or 5 minutes left and you are down 3-0. That's crap.

Stewie- "Where did you graduate again, university of duhhhh?"
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Development?

Development is for U9-U12.....maybe U13. But once you start playing State Cups, R3PL, etc etc.....its only about winning. Period.

Not saying its right....but to be playing at that level and thinking that there is some other agenda at play is misguided and simplistic.

And......if you don't agree with those priorities then don't dance to the music.

S
goal
goal
S
so what happens to the exceptional player who is on a poor team? Do they switch clubs, play up or suffer through the frustration of playing on a sub-par team? Be reminded that although the decision is the childs the club and teammates will certainly have animosity surounding any decision. The issues are different but we need to remember that both types of players are confronted with difficult circumstances.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
As a parent of a couple of soccer players I've come to realize that its all about the Peter Principle.

You have a talented, motivated kid.....and you give them every opportunity to play and grow and get better.....until they peak out. And they will peak out. And the realization for these young kids and parents....that they aren't as good as they thought can be rough.

Then priorities adapt and you just have fun. The game is fun, competing is fun. Have fun. Compete as hard as you can until its not fun anymore. Then cut back. One of the posters said that....and its probably as good of advice as anything.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

so what happens to the exceptional player who is on a poor team? Do they switch clubs, play up or suffer through the frustration of playing on a sub-par team? Be reminded that although the decision is the childs the club and teammates will certainly have animosity surounding any decision. The issues are different but we need to remember that both types of players are confronted with difficult circumstances.

There's no right answer to this scenario. I know of kids who stay on the subpar team and lead.....and develop and find other ways to compete, such as ODP. Other kids switch to a more competitive team.

Depends on the kid and the circumstances.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Playing time vs. playing at the highest level. One of the great conflicts to manage as a parent of a soccer player.

My son wants to play at the absolute highest level he possibly can. I asked him if he had to choose.....between being the 14th man on a Premier team versus being the man on a lower level team....and he said he would rather be on the Premier team.

I can't picture that. But thats his take.

S
goal
goal
S
I think a player probally earns his/her playing time during the weekly training. If a player works at the highest level over the course of a season, and has trouble getting on the field, they probally need to re-think their options. I think local G'ville coaches are fair to a fault about playing time. I would also be more concerened about quality training than game minutes.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
No child wants to sit the bench but if it means being on the winning team then some are alright with it but as they get older their attitudes do change and really what fun is watching your team play from the sidelines...Everyone usually falls into place over time..Some just want it more than others..

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
I think everyone needs to make sure their priorities are straight. Everyone wants to maximize player development and maximize winning. Administrators, DOC's, coaches, players and parents all need to be on the same page. The club soccer experience works best when everyone's level of expectations are closely aligned.

sweet, you are absolutely right about quality training (player development). But when push comes to shove, and the coach feels either pressured or compelled to get a victory....sometimes the player who works the hardest, has the most skill and is most technically and tactically aware.....doesn't get on the field.

Sometimes the coach turns to the "athletic" player. As the stakes rise, often Bigger, Faster, Stronger wins.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
And let's not forget the WILL to win..or what we want to call IT..Some players have it and some don't. And this is something that I believe can not be taught..Some players also perform well at practice but struggle in games or under the pressure of game time..

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
The Will To Win....good point.

Imagine if you could get 11 "gamers" on the same team? Especially with the girls.....11 "chicks with an attitude!"

corner kick
corner kick
Development never stops and if it does, you have a coach that has lost sight of many things.

Hurst, you are right...will to win.

If kids want playing time and they aren't getting it, then they need to try and earn it at anything that is classic and higher level.

Stewie- "Where did you graduate again, university of duhhhh?"
C
Coach
Coach
C
Been watching this thread for a while; lots of good stuff here. There are good points on all sides; I personally think there has to be a balance between the immediate need to win matches and the long view of developing players.

Development ending at U12-U13? Deliver us from short-sightedness. There is still a lot to be done well past that age. Fact is, until a player turns pro--strike that, until a player RETIRES, there's always a "next level" to prepare for. So, if a player hasn't reached the top of their potential by the onset of puberty, we relegate them to the Land of the Lost Causes? Some of the best players I've seen have hit their stride much later. I think some coaches may miss out on some great players by forgetting that development can still happen even at the higher levels; sometimes the player who isn't dropped into someone's lap ready to play in the World Cup is pushed aside instead of pushed to excel.

Playing time, though...now that's a tough one. How do you balance player development with the responsibility you feel to the team to secure the win? No doubt, time on the field in real competition is the best way to develop players. I coached a U17 Classic team (yeah, I know, I'm not talking Premier League here, but I also don't think that's the only league worth discussing) last year that spent most of our season with only 12 players on the roster; we played a lot of games with 11 or even 10. We didn't win a lot of games in the regular season, but with everyone playing almost every minute of every game...the progress over the season was impressive. By the time we hit State Cup, we were taking teams that beat us 4-0 and 5-1 at the beginning of the season to 0-0 draws. A lot of that had to do with what CHT and Hurst mention as the "will to win"...the motivation of players who have something to prove can be nothing short of amazing.

Another consideration, even if we put winning ahead of or on par with development, is depth of the bench. A coach might play his "favorites" 98% of the time to get the wins, but what happens when we have an injury or an absence and there is nobody battle-tested to fill the gap? Nothing prepares a player for competition quite like competition--practice only goes so far. Getting a second-string player some valuable field experience when opportunity presents itself may make the difference between winning and losing if the first-string player can't take the field.

The last thing I'll mention is one of those intangible factors that can make the difference between skilled athletes and winners--love of the game. Players are at their best when they love what they do. Give them a chance to shine, and sometimes a player will surprise you...relegate them to the bench with no hope of putting all that practice into action--or experiencing the thrill of the competition--can take the love of the game right out of them.

Don't get me wrong...competitive sports are about competition. I only know one way to play...you play to win. Playing time isn't guaranteed at that level, and the players on the field should be the ones who can help the team to a victory. Still, PT should be something everyone has the opportunity to EARN...something worth working for, something worth training for, something worth developing for. I say play to win, and coach to win...but the short-sighted victory can lead to the long-term loss, and vice versa.

I always say, it's not how you start out...it's how you finish. That's where development comes in, no matter what the level. And make the game worth loving for those involved...otherwise, what's the point?

I've got good news and bad news...
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"Development ending at U12-U13? Deliver us from short-sightedness. There is still a lot to be done well past that age"

While I agree with this....I'll stick to my original premise that starting at about u13, if your child plays at the highest level, understand that its all about results and that coaches and clubs will be measured by State Cup performance, Region 3 performance, R3PL performance, Disney, CASL Shootout, WAGS, etc etc

Everyone talks about training versus games and that is such an adult perspective. The reality is, the training makes you a better player but the games validate your position within the team hierarchy. How and where you stack up...is typically more important to a kid than the solitary pursuit of getting better for getting better sake.

If your son or daughter is on one of these teams....and is a 13th-14th player or lower....you probably understand that.

Coach....I agree with you on just about everything else.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Very good points.

As the player, who may show exceptional ability, moves up the ladder and on to the highest level teams....competition becomes stiff. If the team is only carrying 13 or 14 players, most of the the time this player will have an opportunity to get quality minutes on the field. If the team is carrying 17 or 18 players it becomes a little different. It's very difficult for a coach to make wholesale substitutions, and get 6 or 7 substitutes quality minutes, if the coach is primarily focused on winning the game.

The problem often arisies, at the higher level, when the perceived difference between the player getting the playing time, and the player sitting the bench, is extremely marginal. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that's why the coach gets paid the big bucks. Tough decision.

I believe it's also up to the player and parent to figure out when it might be the best time to step down to another team where you can get the playing time you need (or feel you deserve). On the college level it's called transfering, on the club level it is asking for your release at mid-season or sticking it out until the May free agency period. Years ago, especially with girls, it was tougher to get them to leave a team for greener pastures. Most club teams were fairly local and girls played with their friends and classmates. There was a real strong bond and emotional attachment there. Now it seems much easier, at least at the higher levels, especially if the girl really loves the game and wants to succeed, as opposed to just being out there for the social experience.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
As a coach in lexington told his parents U11 girls team...

"this is not a sprint, it is a marathon"

It matters somewhat what they do and how they do it at the younger ages, but it is more important what they do and how they do by 16...thus development is key (with some succes in between).

If the player never makes a mistake, how is he/she going to learn?

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

You have a talented, motivated kid.....and you give them every opportunity to play and grow and get better.....until they peak out. And they will peak out. And the realization for these young kids and parents....that they aren't as good as they thought can be rough.

I agree most kids will peak out but I will never be the one to tell my kid he may peak out. Instead I preach work ethic and how bad do you want it. It's all about heart,drive and how much you are willing to work at it. Like everything else in life you should always continue learning. If you are willing to do this it will be quite a while before you "peak out". I will also agree to disagree on the U9 - U13 is where development occurs statement. I agree winning becomes a much bigger focus from U14 on up but if it's not about development at the older ages why do the coaches even hold practice?

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
I don't know when you determine a kid has "peaked out"?

I know a kid can reach a level when they hit a ceiling, but I would consider that temporary. I wouldn't consider it "The Peter Principle".

I would move the player a level down, into a situation (hopefully still competitive) where they could succeed and still enjoy playing the game.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

I don't know when you determine a kid has "peaked out"?

I know a kid can reach a level when they hit a ceiling, but I would consider that temporary. I wouldn't consider it "The Peter Principle".

I would move the player a level down, into a situation (hopefully still competitive) where they could succeed and still enjoy playing the game.

Re-read my post, because that was my point. When its not fun anymore...slide down a level and start having fun again.

You don't like Peter Principle then how about Survival of the Fittest? The higher you go..the rarer the air. All these kids are athletic, focused, hard working. If a gap develops between your kid and the rest of the elite pack, can he/she catch back up? Of course....but doing so means you child must improve at a faster rate than those in front of them. Not an easy thing to do....considering again that the kids are athletic, focused, etc.

Trends can be reversed but the likelihood of doing so is limited.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Quote:

I agree most kids will peak out but I will never be the one to tell my kid he may peak out. Instead I preach work ethic and how bad do you want it.

I agree totally!!!

It's all about heart,drive and how much you are willing to work at it.

Pretty much agree with this. To it however, I'd add coaching and system of play. If your kid is just a number...just another player to the coach then all of the heart and hard work won't amount to squat unless they are a superstar. Also system of play comes into play. If coach is looking for big fast run thru walls kinds of players and your kid is small, quick, possession oriented....good luck there too.

Like everything else in life you should always continue learning.

Yup, agree totally

If you are willing to do this it will be quite a while before you "peak out".

Maybe, maybe not. If your teammates improve at a faster rate than you.....your role on that team will be capped.

I will also agree to disagree on the U9 - U13 is where development occurs statement. I agree winning becomes a much bigger focus from U14 on up but if it's not about development at the older ages why do the coaches even hold practice?

No one said development doesn't happen. Just that the prioroty shifts to results and player identification. Of course there's room to get better, faster, more technical. But from U13-14 the priority at a CESA or a CASL or a Bridge or a CSC is all about winning, if you're on a Premier team. The coach at the team meeting in June doesn't talk about goals for the season being about the kids being better. He talks about State Cup. Disney. Earning a R3PL slot.

These are my experiences at this level. Not saying they are everyone's.....but they are mine

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Boy, did I booger that post up!!! I have obviously hit my ceiling as a poster....

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"I agree most kids will peak out but I will never be the one to tell my kid he may peak out. Instead I preach work ethic and how bad do you want it."

I agree totally!!!

"It's all about heart,drive and how much you are willing to work at it. "

Pretty much agree with this. To it however, I'd add coaching and system of play. If your kid is just a number...just another player to the coach then all of the heart and hard work won't amount to squat unless they are a superstar. Also system of play comes into play. If coach is looking for big fast run thru walls kinds of players and your kid is small, quick, possession oriented....good luck there too.

"Like everything else in life you should always continue learning. "

Yup, agree totally

"If you are willing to do this it will be quite a while before you "peak out". "

Maybe, maybe not. If your teammates improve at a faster rate than you.....your role on that team will be capped.

"I will also agree to disagree on the U9 - U13 is where development occurs statement. I agree winning becomes a much bigger focus from U14 on up but if it's not about development at the older ages why do the coaches even hold practice? "

No one said development doesn't happen. Just that the prioroty shifts to results and player identification. Of course there's room to get better, faster, more technical. But from U13-14 the priority at a CESA or a CASL or a Bridge or a CSC is all about winning, if you're on a Premier team. The coach at the team meeting in June doesn't talk about goals for the season being about the kids being better. He talks about State Cup. Disney. Earning a R3PL slot.

These are my experiences at this level. Not saying they are everyone's.....but they are mine

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

Development?

Development is for U9-U12.....maybe U13. But once you start playing State Cups, R3PL, etc etc.....its only about winning. Period.

I guess I took this statement to mean after U13 its only about winning. Period.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I believe that if you are on a top team at a Club like CESA or Bridge or Concorde Fire or CASL...that at U13-14 winning becomes the dominant priority, not player development.

Period.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
And things like playing time for the 15th kid on the roster takes a distant back seat.

And if the kid/parent aren't ok with that (I wouldn't!!)....
drop down to the next team. Play, have fun, get better as a player.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
I know what you are saying and it does seem that way.I believe with one comes the other. I also believe that any coach from Nick to Clark would tell you that while they want to win every game and tournament - they also strive for player development

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

And things like playing time for the 15th kid on the roster takes a distant back seat.

And if the kid/parent aren't ok with that (I wouldn't!!)....
drop down to the next team. Play, have fun, get better as a player.

I totally agree with this. I feel alot for the parents of the players on our team that don't get many minutes - they are paying their hard earned money for their child just like I am. That is where as a parent I would step in and have a heart to heart with the kid to see if they are truly where they want to be. Don't be afraid to talk to your kids about this.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

"Development ending at U12-U13? Deliver us from short-sightedness. There is still a lot to be done well past that age"

While I agree with this....I'll stick to my original premise that starting at about u13, if your child plays at the highest level, understand that its all about results and that coaches and clubs will be measured by State Cup performance, Region 3 performance, R3PL performance, Disney, CASL Shootout, WAGS, etc etc

I agree completely with the reality of this. Especially at the higher level, winning is a strong emphasis...after all, if there is no drive to win, then what is the motivation for player development? Still, I don't think it should be the ONLY emphasis...and playing only the top players and leaving the rest relatively undeveloped can be short-sighted for some people. Looking at the long view, you can win the battle but still lose the war, especially if the unexpected happens and someone has to fill a vacancy left by a "favorite."

I agree with what several people have said...players should choose a team that best fits their goals and needs. What parents and players are investing in is a quality, rewarding experience...which might mean different things for different players. Win or lose, if the players get something positive from their playing experience and finish the season with something more than they started it with--whether it's skill, fitness, confidence, wisdom, self-esteem, experience, exposure, or any combination of things--few people would say they wasted their time and money.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

I know what you are saying and it does seem that way.I believe with one comes the other. I also believe that any coach from Nick to Clark would tell you that while they want to win every game and tournament - they also strive for player development

I know Nick very well....and I agree with you that he cares deeply about his players and their development on and off the soccer field. But he will bench anyone including his own child if it improves his chances of winning an important game.

R
kick off
kick off
R
Big Daddy - Perhaps without knowing it you have just defined the 'problem' with soccer in the USA! At least in my opinion!

Whilst I understand that you are not eliminating player development altogether you are arguing that team success becomes the number one driving force! And for what?

We as a country were provided a lesson in 'player development' by Brazil at the Womens World Cup. Unfortunately, the politics and off the field incidents prevented us from learning a very valuable lesson!

Sincerely,

Justin Collett
Director of Coaching
Carolina FC

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Hey Justin!! Been awhile....

I don't think I'm arguing on behalf of anything other than being sensitive to your kid and as a parent....making sure they are in a constructive environment.

If you allow them to compete in the highly competitve world of elite soccer....they better either be one of the better players, or have a very healthy view of themselves and prioritize the value in being able to compete every day in practice against great soccer players. Because if they are player 14 or 15 thru 18......the practice field is likely going to be all that they see much of.

Whether that's right or wrong isn't the point. What is the point...is that many kids will hit that wall where their ability to continue to climb and succeed stops. Maybe he loses his starting spot. Maybe he starts, but is a reserve on his ODP team. Maybe he starts for ODP but can't make the region pool.

At some point there will simply be better players....and as a parent you have to be able to help your child navigate those waters.

If your kid can be the 16th player on a CESA Premier team and be happy with minimal game minutes, bless him. If he can't....drop down and play for a Challenge team. What is wrong with that?

Is it any different in life? Why do some kids get slotted for GT classes, and others don't? Some kids take AP classes that aren't available to other kids. One kid goes to Harvard or Duke...and another kid goes to Winthrop or USC Upstate.

There are many things wrong with youth soccer in America. But to me, the conflict between winning and player development isn't one of them. Coaching is like managing in a matrix organization. You always have competing priorities. Of course you want your kids to have fun, you want them to get better, you want them all to be successful. But the job of the coach is to balance the needs of the individual with the needs of the collective team. And unless there are unbelievably extenuating circumstances the needs of the team will almost always outweigh the needs of the individual.

As a parent.....why would I expect a coach to operate differently? The coach owes the kid on a practice field....he owes the team on the game field.

Is it the right thing to do for soccer development in America? Maybe...maybe not.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Again.....we're talking older kids....not U8-U12.

G
throw in
throw in
G
Here is a simple solution. Don't pick a kid for your premier or challenge team if he is not good enough (in the coaches opinion) to play meaningful minutes. If you don't have 16-18 quality players, then keep only 12-14. Anything else appears to be just a money grab.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Big Daddy,

I liked most all of what you had to say in your long post above. Especially the "coach owes the kid on a practice field....he owes the team on the game field." statement.
I wasn't trying to play devils advocate in my previous post I just honestly feel that player development and coaches winning games do go hand in hand even at older ages.

As for helping my child "navigate the waters" I try to leave it in his court as to what he wants because he is the one playing. My playing days are long over. We have kind of adopted the "Impossible is nothing" motto though. Who am I to tell him he can't play R3PL, D2 College or even D1 College? If he wants it bad enough.

There was only one Michael Jordan - but there was also only one Kevin McHale. One was graceful and looked like he had all the God given talent in the world. The other looked like he was going to trip over his own feet at any moment. But I suspect they both believed "Impossible is nothing" too.

L
Goal
Goal
L
Can you develop as a player when the coach plays your kids at only 1 position, all the time? At u14, I’ve seen players play the same position every game and every minute for the entire season. Is this in the best interest of the player’s development?

Parents get the shaft from clubs and club coaches when it comes to their kid’s development. Most clubs and coaches are all about the winning and team tactics and not really focused on individual skills/player development.

Most parents are happy if their kid’s team is winning and getting enough PT but are clueless to whether they are being developed.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

The coach owes the kid on a practice field....he owes the team on the game field.

I really like the way you put that...sums it up nicely.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Giggs, right on. It's not only easier for the players & parents, it's easier on the coach.

63, continue to provide that guidance. Jordan and McHale both got college educations. Had Jordan chose baseball, and had McHale chose Dancing with the Stars, they both would have needed that education to fall back on.

letme, good thought but if your kid is getting the whole game at center defender, the coach probably thinks you're OK with it. It's up to the player to suggest otherwise to the coach.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I don't care if you Censored , moan, or cry, its about ME winning!"
-CASL coach

Saw this on the NC board.....on a thread where people are listing their favorite quotes. Thought it germane to this discussion...

C
Coach
Coach
C
If that's all it's about, then perhaps he should be paying the players rather than the other way around.

S
coach
coach
S
>>favorite quotes<<

There is no "I" in team, but there is in "win". [Michael Jordan]

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

I don't care if you Censored , moan, or cry, its about ME winning!"
-CASL coach

Saw this on the NC board.....on a thread where people are listing their favorite quotes. Thought it germane to this discussion...

Bid Daddy,

This way of thinking must be mainstream with highly competitive clubs. I remember watching an interview with the founder & DOC for the Dallas Texans soccer club (A retired Iranian soccer player, I think) He said "Our teams are expected to do absolutely whatever it takes for me to win each match, and I do mean whatever"

It must work since these guys are probably one of the most sucessful soccer clubs in the nation.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
And this pattern of success.......to me is what Roy of the Rovers was alluding to when addressing what ails youth soccer in America.

Our culture isn't so much about right or wrong, or development......so much as it is about copycatting success. If it works for CASL or the Texans, it must be right, right?

I've had more people recite the party line to me.....and I have too.....that if your kid is going to play at "the next level"....there is a path...a recipe....that you have to follow. Club, with all the right tournaments.....R3PL....
ODP.....region team or at least pool.....US Club or Super Y in the summer, etc.

Heck!!!! What happened to.....the kid can really play!! 'Cause if your kid can really play and if you are creative enough and willing to do a little on your own.....
there will be a roster spot for them somewhere.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

Heck!!!! What happened to.....the kid can really play!!

In alot of cases it has become "Can the parents really pay?"

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
And if the parents can't pay then the rest of the parents get to pay more..There might not be any I in team but there's lots of $$$$$

S
goal
goal
S
Has anyone ever compared the cost of developing a D-1 soccer player to the cost of a D-1 Golfer or D-1 Tennis player? I would venture to say, Soccer would be more affordable. Soccer is an expensive sport, however you seldom hear tennis parents or golf parents talking about the cost of developing young talent. What does anyone think?

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Sweet,

I want to develop my daughter into a decent D-3 soccer player, or....I want my daughter to be a decent high school player, have fun, get good grades and then go to USC or Clemson and play intramurals.

What should her club soccer path be? ODP, R3PL, Super Y?...how much do I need? Where can I cut corners and save?

S
goal
goal
S
Good question's, wish I had an answer for you. That's the beauty, all players are different. Probally continue what she is doing, heck you might find a quality D-2 program that's a good fit. Above all, ask her what she wants.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Hurst,

Kids play at very high levels for one of a couple of reasons, two major ones being becasue they love the game, second one being they are trying to be identified in order to play at the ubiquitious "next level".

If your daughter isn't really interested in the next level, then its mostly about love of the game. She doesn't need to follow all those different paths in order to get better and play at a level she loves.

Pick a Club team with a reputation for good chemistry as well as a good coach who will challenge her. If she has pre-existing friends on the team....icing on the cake.

Throw school ball into the mix and anything else (ODP-Super Y) is up to her and your budget. If she's meant to play D2 or D3 soccer....she will.

corner kick
corner kick
Hurst,

I spoke to a D1 asst. coach and this is the advice I received:

Find the colleges with the major in which your are interested.

Get in touch with the coaches and let them know you are interested in there soccer program at the beginning of your Junior year in HS. Stay in touch using emails.

Visit the colleges to see for yourself the atmosphere on campus and during soccer training and games.

Don't throw out a college because it is a D1 college. Review the current soccer roster. If you are a forward and they have 8 freshman forwards on the roster then college may not be looking for forwards but they may need a defender/midfielders.

Let the college coach decide if you are right for there program.

Lastly decide if you want to play or be on the team. The ACC and SEC soccer programs are year round and they can become a full time job.

My last comment is there will be life after college so enjoy this time of learning and playing soccer.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
fan,

Got all that, thanks.....valuable info.

But.....how much do I have to spend on club soccer?

Do D1 & D2 coaches go to specific matches to watch players that express an interest, or do they go to Disney, WAGS, R3PL and spot girls out of the blue?

corner kick
corner kick
Hurst,

Usually the college coaches will ask for your schedule of games and tournaments to see if they can attend one to watch the player in action. Some accept DVD's but most will require a live look at the player. Yes most of the D1 colleges attend the "big" tournaments and they are watching the players that have spent time expressing interest in there program. Once and while a coach will find a player at one of these tournaments who they don't know and will introduce themselves to the player. If your soccer schedule conflicts with the college then you maybe able to attend an off-season workout or attend the colleges summer camp.

So how much does this cost? The cost is relative to how much time and money you spend promoting your child's soccer skills to coaches. Club fees are just the beginning. Trips to colleges for visits and game watching, along with camps at each school. I thought about adding up the amount I have spent on my child and at this time I don't really want to know the answer. The one thing I know is my child is happy playing soccer and hopes to play in college somewhere.

The cost is not a factor as my child will be able to achieve the goal of going to college and playing soccer. I am happy with that.

brace
brace
College coaches WANT to see players play in significant matches—a high level. This is true. Not SC league matches. PL3 is great, some tournaments can fulfill this (Disney, probably not WAGS and CASL anymore. . .), and REGIONALS.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Hurst,

I assume that your girls play in Charlotte somewhere. If this is the case, they are going to need to be on a great team and play at a high level because of the "significance" as G&B stated. What about ODP? Have you spoken with them and what were their thoughts on playind club in Charlotte and being able to make the ODP team for SC??

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
cid,
One is already on the SC ODP team, the other will try out this November.

g&b,
If you're playing in South Carolina, and you want to play R3PL, and go to Disney and REGIONALS, I imagine your club choices are rather limited (I'm sure you could suggest one).

fan,
You're absolutely correct about the self-promotion and the methods that you suggest for getting on a college coach's radar screen.

Thanks.

S
coach
coach
S
>>[Hurst66] I want to develop my daughter into a decent D-3 soccer player, or....I want my daughter to be a decent high school player, have fun, get good grades and then go to USC or Clemson and play intramurals.

What should her club soccer path be? ODP, R3PL, Super Y?...how much do I need? Where can I cut corners and save?<<

Since I know you know the answers here, this must be a test. Okay, I'll take it...

No ODP, R3PL, Super Y is needed to be an decent HS and an okay D3 player. She can play recreation and tell her that if she loves the game to practice on her own. If she really wants to challenge herself she can find a receptive boys team and play on it or at least practice with them. She ought to be a fine HS player and D3 player.

To further save money, you could tell her that she has to get a job and work to pay for recreation fees, cleats, uniforms, and the like. Refereeing is an option, and of course jobs at McDonalds or Burger King.

To save gas money, you want to make sure she practices close to home and if possible she has a friend she can catch a ride with to practice and games. This is critical to save your own time and expense as well -- taking a kid to practice and games takes a lot of time and effort.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Chico,

Very good.

I've tried to get my daughter to get a job to help pay all of the costs associated with club soccer but she constantly reminds me:

"There ain't no I in TEAM, but there is an I in TIME.....and I ain't got no TIME!"

Catch 22. (I think it's all that academic work getting in the way.)

H
brace
brace
H
mine wants to work and hates not having the time.she does ref some.told me the other day she was saving for new cleats.i have found that she loves my money as much as she loves hers.
got that from her momma!!!!

Last edited by happyfeet; 11/03/07 01:27 PM.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard