Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
I know what you are saying and it does seem that way.I believe with one comes the other. I also believe that any coach from Nick to Clark would tell you that while they want to win every game and tournament - they also strive for player development

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

And things like playing time for the 15th kid on the roster takes a distant back seat.

And if the kid/parent aren't ok with that (I wouldn't!!)....
drop down to the next team. Play, have fun, get better as a player.

I totally agree with this. I feel alot for the parents of the players on our team that don't get many minutes - they are paying their hard earned money for their child just like I am. That is where as a parent I would step in and have a heart to heart with the kid to see if they are truly where they want to be. Don't be afraid to talk to your kids about this.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

"Development ending at U12-U13? Deliver us from short-sightedness. There is still a lot to be done well past that age"

While I agree with this....I'll stick to my original premise that starting at about u13, if your child plays at the highest level, understand that its all about results and that coaches and clubs will be measured by State Cup performance, Region 3 performance, R3PL performance, Disney, CASL Shootout, WAGS, etc etc

I agree completely with the reality of this. Especially at the higher level, winning is a strong emphasis...after all, if there is no drive to win, then what is the motivation for player development? Still, I don't think it should be the ONLY emphasis...and playing only the top players and leaving the rest relatively undeveloped can be short-sighted for some people. Looking at the long view, you can win the battle but still lose the war, especially if the unexpected happens and someone has to fill a vacancy left by a "favorite."

I agree with what several people have said...players should choose a team that best fits their goals and needs. What parents and players are investing in is a quality, rewarding experience...which might mean different things for different players. Win or lose, if the players get something positive from their playing experience and finish the season with something more than they started it with--whether it's skill, fitness, confidence, wisdom, self-esteem, experience, exposure, or any combination of things--few people would say they wasted their time and money.

I've got good news and bad news...
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

I know what you are saying and it does seem that way.I believe with one comes the other. I also believe that any coach from Nick to Clark would tell you that while they want to win every game and tournament - they also strive for player development

I know Nick very well....and I agree with you that he cares deeply about his players and their development on and off the soccer field. But he will bench anyone including his own child if it improves his chances of winning an important game.

R
kick off
kick off
R
Big Daddy - Perhaps without knowing it you have just defined the 'problem' with soccer in the USA! At least in my opinion!

Whilst I understand that you are not eliminating player development altogether you are arguing that team success becomes the number one driving force! And for what?

We as a country were provided a lesson in 'player development' by Brazil at the Womens World Cup. Unfortunately, the politics and off the field incidents prevented us from learning a very valuable lesson!

Sincerely,

Justin Collett
Director of Coaching
Carolina FC

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Hey Justin!! Been awhile....

I don't think I'm arguing on behalf of anything other than being sensitive to your kid and as a parent....making sure they are in a constructive environment.

If you allow them to compete in the highly competitve world of elite soccer....they better either be one of the better players, or have a very healthy view of themselves and prioritize the value in being able to compete every day in practice against great soccer players. Because if they are player 14 or 15 thru 18......the practice field is likely going to be all that they see much of.

Whether that's right or wrong isn't the point. What is the point...is that many kids will hit that wall where their ability to continue to climb and succeed stops. Maybe he loses his starting spot. Maybe he starts, but is a reserve on his ODP team. Maybe he starts for ODP but can't make the region pool.

At some point there will simply be better players....and as a parent you have to be able to help your child navigate those waters.

If your kid can be the 16th player on a CESA Premier team and be happy with minimal game minutes, bless him. If he can't....drop down and play for a Challenge team. What is wrong with that?

Is it any different in life? Why do some kids get slotted for GT classes, and others don't? Some kids take AP classes that aren't available to other kids. One kid goes to Harvard or Duke...and another kid goes to Winthrop or USC Upstate.

There are many things wrong with youth soccer in America. But to me, the conflict between winning and player development isn't one of them. Coaching is like managing in a matrix organization. You always have competing priorities. Of course you want your kids to have fun, you want them to get better, you want them all to be successful. But the job of the coach is to balance the needs of the individual with the needs of the collective team. And unless there are unbelievably extenuating circumstances the needs of the team will almost always outweigh the needs of the individual.

As a parent.....why would I expect a coach to operate differently? The coach owes the kid on a practice field....he owes the team on the game field.

Is it the right thing to do for soccer development in America? Maybe...maybe not.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Again.....we're talking older kids....not U8-U12.

G
throw in
throw in
G
Here is a simple solution. Don't pick a kid for your premier or challenge team if he is not good enough (in the coaches opinion) to play meaningful minutes. If you don't have 16-18 quality players, then keep only 12-14. Anything else appears to be just a money grab.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Big Daddy,

I liked most all of what you had to say in your long post above. Especially the "coach owes the kid on a practice field....he owes the team on the game field." statement.
I wasn't trying to play devils advocate in my previous post I just honestly feel that player development and coaches winning games do go hand in hand even at older ages.

As for helping my child "navigate the waters" I try to leave it in his court as to what he wants because he is the one playing. My playing days are long over. We have kind of adopted the "Impossible is nothing" motto though. Who am I to tell him he can't play R3PL, D2 College or even D1 College? If he wants it bad enough.

There was only one Michael Jordan - but there was also only one Kevin McHale. One was graceful and looked like he had all the God given talent in the world. The other looked like he was going to trip over his own feet at any moment. But I suspect they both believed "Impossible is nothing" too.

L
Goal
Goal
L
Can you develop as a player when the coach plays your kids at only 1 position, all the time? At u14, I’ve seen players play the same position every game and every minute for the entire season. Is this in the best interest of the player’s development?

Parents get the shaft from clubs and club coaches when it comes to their kid’s development. Most clubs and coaches are all about the winning and team tactics and not really focused on individual skills/player development.

Most parents are happy if their kid’s team is winning and getting enough PT but are clueless to whether they are being developed.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard