Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Sweet,

I want to develop my daughter into a decent D-3 soccer player, or....I want my daughter to be a decent high school player, have fun, get good grades and then go to USC or Clemson and play intramurals.

What should her club soccer path be? ODP, R3PL, Super Y?...how much do I need? Where can I cut corners and save?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal
goal
S
Good question's, wish I had an answer for you. That's the beauty, all players are different. Probally continue what she is doing, heck you might find a quality D-2 program that's a good fit. Above all, ask her what she wants.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Hurst,

Kids play at very high levels for one of a couple of reasons, two major ones being becasue they love the game, second one being they are trying to be identified in order to play at the ubiquitious "next level".

If your daughter isn't really interested in the next level, then its mostly about love of the game. She doesn't need to follow all those different paths in order to get better and play at a level she loves.

Pick a Club team with a reputation for good chemistry as well as a good coach who will challenge her. If she has pre-existing friends on the team....icing on the cake.

Throw school ball into the mix and anything else (ODP-Super Y) is up to her and your budget. If she's meant to play D2 or D3 soccer....she will.

corner kick
corner kick
Hurst,

I spoke to a D1 asst. coach and this is the advice I received:

Find the colleges with the major in which your are interested.

Get in touch with the coaches and let them know you are interested in there soccer program at the beginning of your Junior year in HS. Stay in touch using emails.

Visit the colleges to see for yourself the atmosphere on campus and during soccer training and games.

Don't throw out a college because it is a D1 college. Review the current soccer roster. If you are a forward and they have 8 freshman forwards on the roster then college may not be looking for forwards but they may need a defender/midfielders.

Let the college coach decide if you are right for there program.

Lastly decide if you want to play or be on the team. The ACC and SEC soccer programs are year round and they can become a full time job.

My last comment is there will be life after college so enjoy this time of learning and playing soccer.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
fan,

Got all that, thanks.....valuable info.

But.....how much do I have to spend on club soccer?

Do D1 & D2 coaches go to specific matches to watch players that express an interest, or do they go to Disney, WAGS, R3PL and spot girls out of the blue?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
corner kick
corner kick
Hurst,

Usually the college coaches will ask for your schedule of games and tournaments to see if they can attend one to watch the player in action. Some accept DVD's but most will require a live look at the player. Yes most of the D1 colleges attend the "big" tournaments and they are watching the players that have spent time expressing interest in there program. Once and while a coach will find a player at one of these tournaments who they don't know and will introduce themselves to the player. If your soccer schedule conflicts with the college then you maybe able to attend an off-season workout or attend the colleges summer camp.

So how much does this cost? The cost is relative to how much time and money you spend promoting your child's soccer skills to coaches. Club fees are just the beginning. Trips to colleges for visits and game watching, along with camps at each school. I thought about adding up the amount I have spent on my child and at this time I don't really want to know the answer. The one thing I know is my child is happy playing soccer and hopes to play in college somewhere.

The cost is not a factor as my child will be able to achieve the goal of going to college and playing soccer. I am happy with that.

brace
brace
College coaches WANT to see players play in significant matches—a high level. This is true. Not SC league matches. PL3 is great, some tournaments can fulfill this (Disney, probably not WAGS and CASL anymore. . .), and REGIONALS.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Hurst,

I assume that your girls play in Charlotte somewhere. If this is the case, they are going to need to be on a great team and play at a high level because of the "significance" as G&B stated. What about ODP? Have you spoken with them and what were their thoughts on playind club in Charlotte and being able to make the ODP team for SC??

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
cid,
One is already on the SC ODP team, the other will try out this November.

g&b,
If you're playing in South Carolina, and you want to play R3PL, and go to Disney and REGIONALS, I imagine your club choices are rather limited (I'm sure you could suggest one).

fan,
You're absolutely correct about the self-promotion and the methods that you suggest for getting on a college coach's radar screen.

Thanks.

S
coach
coach
S
>>[Hurst66] I want to develop my daughter into a decent D-3 soccer player, or....I want my daughter to be a decent high school player, have fun, get good grades and then go to USC or Clemson and play intramurals.

What should her club soccer path be? ODP, R3PL, Super Y?...how much do I need? Where can I cut corners and save?<<

Since I know you know the answers here, this must be a test. Okay, I'll take it...

No ODP, R3PL, Super Y is needed to be an decent HS and an okay D3 player. She can play recreation and tell her that if she loves the game to practice on her own. If she really wants to challenge herself she can find a receptive boys team and play on it or at least practice with them. She ought to be a fine HS player and D3 player.

To further save money, you could tell her that she has to get a job and work to pay for recreation fees, cleats, uniforms, and the like. Refereeing is an option, and of course jobs at McDonalds or Burger King.

To save gas money, you want to make sure she practices close to home and if possible she has a friend she can catch a ride with to practice and games. This is critical to save your own time and expense as well -- taking a kid to practice and games takes a lot of time and effort.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard