Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#91366 11/27/07 03:50 PM
G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
My daughter got her ODP acceptance letter last weekend.

1. How can they know if someone has made the first cut before evaluating the participants in the make up try-outs?

2. Why are there make up try-outs in Lexington Dec. 2nd, Upstate Dec.15th and none in the lower part of the state?

3. How many girls make it to the second round of tryouts (sub-regionals)?

4. Is money the driving factor in the ODP process?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I believe that money drives everything...however

1- see the attached excerpt from SCYSA website
"ODP Make up dates are for players who are injured (need doctors note) or players who have a commitment to their soccer team, league game or tournament, that have been scheduled prior to the posted tryout dates. All players need to make an appointment so we can have coaches in place for the make-up date."

2- no idea

3- as with 1 above... it is heavily dependent on the age group. At the younger ages they may make 2 teams instead of one...for sure the 90 age group will be one team... most likely in the 18 player size.

L
Goal
Goal
L
will they have a 90 age group?

the first cut is made when they announce the sub-regional teams. for the girls it’s always been 2 teams with around 34 to 36 players. after the sub-regionals they make the final cut to 16 to 18 players with the possibility of a few alternate players.

ODP is more hype/image than substance but the experience/friendship/exposure is worthwhile.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
I don't know if there will be a regional or national 90s team, but it is my understanding that there won't be a 90s SC team.

I think the ODP program has provided good training, although it would probably be better if there were more of it but I know the coaches run into problems getting consistent participation because of high school conflicts (go figure!). Also I'm assuming the region camp is a worthwhile soccer experience with more good training provided. I think it just comes down to what the player is in it for, as to whether it is worth the expense. If they're in it for good training and experience and they love soccer and you have the money, then it is worthwhile. But if they're in it only to make the region team or even region pool their chances are slim, coming from SC, relative to similar caliber players from other states. Just my opinion, but IT SEEMS TO ME if you have 2 equally skilled, experienced, knowledgeable, capable, fit, etc. players and one is from SC and one is from say North Texas, they are going to pick the one from North Texas or the one that has some connections or someone lobbying for them.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
sorry meant 91

O
kick off
kick off
O
Through my years of dealing with ODP they have always skipped over the lower part of the State.

S
goal
goal
S
My experience over the last two years is that the ODP experience is dependent on the desire of the player and the desire/quality of coaching. Last years experience was excellent due to quality coaching and committment. The instruction was awesome. However, in the prior year coaching interest was weak and the players committment suffered. I also think that as the days get closer to region camp and payment the number begin to dwindle. I believe funding/cost should be improved as the ODP experience will not be garnering top talent with the new outside pressures of the academy programs. In other words the talent pool will shrink due to the academy program and increasing funding or reducing costs would allow for the talent pool to increase. That is all above my pay grade within the SCYSA world however.

Soccer16 #91373 11/28/07 03:52 AM
M
brace
brace
M
What ODP is about:

1) Prideful representation as a State team player.
2) Ability to compete against many of the best players from other States.
3) Expansion of training techniques and exposure to a variety of coaching styles . . . primarily from college level coaches.
4) The opportunity for an aspiring player to build individual confidence by accepting the challenge to go through the 6 to 7 month long process of striving to make the final cut and secure a spot to attend Region Camp.
5) The opportunity to build relationships with competing national and regional club players and coaches.
6) Finally and ultimately, there is the opportunity to be recognized as an accomplished player for Pool Games, the Region Team or The National Team.

Those who discount SC players because of where they are from look at the glass as half empty instead of half full. There are multiple ways for SC players to move to a higher level of play and ODP represents one of many avenues.

USYSA ODP, USSF Academy, USL ODP, US Club ODP all give players an opportunity to compete and train at a different and ultimately a higher level than many club teams are able to move to.

Exposure to multiple coaching styles builds well rounded players. Through ODP a player will grow technically, tactically and personally. Is it perfect? Absolutely not? But, how many things in life are?

Get your player involved in the competition to secure a place on a SC ODP team. The experience is well worth it.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
throw in
throw in
Greenacres, Just curious - What ODP age group is your daughter in? Some of the other age grps just got emails telling them they were going to Gainesville in Jan.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Manchester,

I really liked and totally agree with your assessment of the ODP program. The only thing I would add though would be the fact that it is a resume builder for those kids aspiring to play college ball at some level.
I am constantly amazed at the ODP friends my son has made from throughout the state and how he keeps in contact with them through myspace and emails. Seems every tournament we go to it takes an extra 20 - 30 minutes to leave the field as we have to stop and talk to ODP teammates.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard