Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
kick off
kick off
B
I think I got it chief. You're a meemur that can't spell.

atl
Goal
Goal
Ya, that's it.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

who writes your material? Heath Ledger?

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
501(c)(3)'s, happy parents, angry parents, sad parents, victimized (through recruiting) children, happy appendages, reeking, Rob Reiner movies, Ayn Rand novels, memes, references to small mammals, references to celebrity tragedies, and on and on and on...

Wow...reading this is like taking an alternative media Rorschach test on acid while listening to Crunk...

I think I'll go back to work now; somehow either recruiting or a 3/4 point cut by the Fed caused a rebound when I thought we were going to 10,000...

J
world cup
world cup
J
Why am I not surprised you're a Rand fan?!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
It only gets better!! After Saturday we get to discuss all that went on at the combine..Maybe we should start a post combine thread on Sunday..looking forward to the trip on Saturday and maybe even posts my thoughts on Sunday

J
world cup
world cup
J
See you there!

I'll be wearing one of these:

coach
coach
'h'okay' - (a very heavily accented version of okay).

"H'OKAY! so, here we have the earth. a sweet earth you might say... it's ROUND! h'okay, so here we have the icecaps melting, the ozone layer leaving, the sun exploding, some meteors becoming crashed into us... and we're definitely going to blowing ourselves up." XP

H
goal
goal
H
Chico:

I've been hesitant to post again until I learned all the rules of the Board. It is unclear to me whether I am allowed to respond directly to you, or whether I had to wait until I was awarded my scsoccer secret decoder ring. As a compromise, I am averting my eyes in subjugation as I type. Any typos are on account of that.

Since I am going to be around and commenting from time to time on matters that interest me, I think I should clarify a few things that have been mischaracterized or misinterpreted, primarily with regard to my feelings about other clubs.

In a state of our size, I think that it is reasonable to have three geographically distinct premier level clubs. We sort of have that now, though I am not sure that Bridge FA really qualifies without a rec program.

There is no question that CESA is the gold standard, certainly if measured by championships. It is a great club, with great players, parents and coaches. I do not hate CESA, I do not dislike CESA, I am not envious of CESA. As a South Carolinian, I am proud of CESA and take great pleasure in seeing their teams succeed when they play teams from other states.

I have but a single quarrel with CESA. I believe that its recruiting practices are too aggressive. I don't know whether there have been violations of the rules, and haven't accused them of any. I have outlined a particular example that involved inviting the ODP teams to scrimmage their teams during club tryouts and using the event to overtly recruit ODP players. I cited the rule from the Handbook that relates to recruiting ODP players. It is ambiguous. In that case, I think one has to give the benefit of the doubt to CESA. For me though it is clear that the spirit of the rule was ignored. I don't think there is any question that CESA is far more aggressive in identifying players it would like to have and in trying to convince them that they should leave their current club and move to CESA. I am fully aware that the decision is ultimately that of the player and the player's parents. I know that the rules allow for that, within certain parameters. I don't like that rule.

My impression is that CESA, if it could, would "poach" all of the best players from every club in the region. Of course that could never happen, but I think if one is honest about it, one would recognize that mindset. Is that in CESA's best interests? I think that's debatable, but let's say it is. Is it in the best interests of youth soccer in general? That's an unqualified "no" for me.

You have suggested that I ignore conduct of CUFC that you implicitly equate to conduct of CESA about which I have been critical. I, not surprisingly I suppose, disagree. There is nothing wrong with clubs being active in their communities and doing things that generate positive public relations (and you haven't suggested otherwise). The things that you have mentioned that CUFC does are all things that I would hope generate positive feelings in the community and in the state toward CUFC. If that translates from time to time to players taking a look at the club and even deciding to leave their current club and play at CUFC, great. If CUFC is targeting particular players at other clubs and affirmatively recruiting them to leave their club and come to CUFC, I am unaware of it. If it happens, and I know about it, I will be equally critical of it.

Now, with respect to the combine... Perhaps I should have raised my questions or concerns in a different tone. The combine is a fine idea and I sincerely hope that it is a great success. I am all for getting South Carolina players exposed to college coaches. For too long, it seems to me, the quality we have here has been overlooked in favor of Atlanta and NC. So, good on CESA for doing this. As I have made clear (I hope) my concern was that they would use the opportunity to engage in the kind of recruiting practices that offend me. They don't have any obligation to consider my views on the matter and I have a sneaking suspicion that no one has even thought to inquire about them. As long as they play by the rules, they can recruit to their hearts' content. I can also criticize them for it. Other contributors to this forum can criticize me for criticizing them. That's what makes it fun and engaging. I don't take it personally, unless someone makes it personal.

Now, a few random and semi-related comments:

I don't speak for CUFC and am nothing more or less than the dad of a player. I have no idea whether anyone at CUFC, parent, coach or official, agrees with me on any of this. I also don't care very much.

My son's team has not been affected adversely by any other club's recruiting conduct. This stuff is in no way personal.

I have a complete collection of re-prints of The Objectivist and The Objectivist Newsletter - wanna buy them?

coach
coach
Are soccer moms allowed admittance at the combine?

a self admitted soccer mom buys a happy meal for her CUFC child who was not invited to the combine.

Last edited by 2004striker; 01/24/08 05:19 PM.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard