Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Sweet feet & Happy feet:

Not related I guess. CESA folks sure get their feathers ruffled when someone gives their opinion. I think you are missing the point. I NEVER SAID CESA WOULD NOT BE GOOD, JUST NOT DOMINANT!!!! CESA held the top spots in R3 for several years. MPSC was finishing a strong second but were choosing not to play in R3 for whatever reason. The option to play in R3 was CESA. Now the option is at CUFC in almost all age groups. The options are changing for people who travel from the Charleston area. That is all I am saying.

Sweet feet: Say all you want about CASL & WAGS, but I think it is ridiculous to hang all your hopes on one tournament. What if you have a bad tournament, you are sick, you are hurt, seems to be shortsighted just for the weather and field conditions. Also, you might want to tell the 538 Women's College Coaches that attended the CASL Shootout this year your view of the fields. REMEMBER coaches don't offer who they don't see.

distant cousins!!!!
no feathers ruffled here.just stating my opinion.seems you have a wedgy(spelling)over this.

on a lighter note.if anyone knows the goalie from the bridge u-15 girls how about telling her great job.her performance with the pk's was outstanding.

S
goal
goal
S
Grim
I'm just stating the facts, the fields stink. And by the way, the college coaches agree.

Disney is ranked the number one tournament for a reason, the competition/fields. Last time I looked their were a couple of college coaches roaming the sidelines.

Last time I checked the Women's ACC soccer played their finals at Disney.

Grim I do agree with you, one shouldn't put all their tournament eggs in one basket.

goal kick
goal kick
If your gonna talk about the aiken fire you cant leave out Schylur Reardon....if im correct hes playing at carolina

S
kick off
kick off
S
Quote:

....and for those who feel like you must sign your kid up for Cesa, CUFC or Bridge today remember Jamal Geathers and Mike Gustavson did not play for any of the above.(No - I'm not from Aiken)

Jamal was transplanted in Aiken from Myrtle Beach. He was the Elite player in the Lowcountry way before Aiken snatched him up. It was a good move for Jamal and a great addition to Aiken, just like players that move to the big name clubs today (CESA, CUFC and BFA) Jamal moved to the big team in his age group (he always played up in M. Beach)...No- I'm not from Myrtle Beach or Aiken.

L
Goal
Goal
L
hf - i watched the ot/pks for the u15g finals and you're spot-on with the bridge keeper great play in goal. the cesa players pks were nice shots with plenty of pace but the bridge keeper made 3 huge saves.

S
kick off
kick off
S
Quote:

hf - i watched the ot/pks for the u15g finals and you're spot-on with the bridge keeper great play in goal. the cesa players pks were nice shots with plenty of pace but the bridge keeper made 3 huge saves.

She is a kid that made the save, PERIOD. Give her credit

L
Goal
Goal
L
Quote:

Quote:

She is a kid that made the save, PERIOD. Give her credit

Sid42,

what the heck is your post about? please read my post again, i was giving the bridge keeper credit.

S
goal
goal
S
letmeput:

Come on, give the kid some credit! ha ha.

S
coach
coach
S
>>[HappyDaddy] I'm not sure what the fuss is about.<<

I'm not sure what "fuss" you are referring to, but the most noteworthy thing that occurred was that CESA significantly won more finalists and championship slots than would have been predicted quantitatively and by most people qualitatively. It was a surprising result -- I would have expected fewer champions by one club and more champions by others. But more importantly, I thought that the fact that both CESA and CUFC had at least the expected number of finalists was good news for both clubs. I also thought that CUFC's position as a strong #2 in terms of competing at the highest level of competition was "fuss-worthy"; as I've noted, even taking into account Bridge's entrance of two teams into USSF Academy I thought that CUFC has clearly separated itself.

>>Most of the finals were as competitive as they could be. Four were decided by kicks from the spot (a horrible way to determine a winner - but an accepted part of the game). From what I witnessed, the games were hard and fairly fought. The kids had fun. The parents were nervous wrecks (especially the parents of goalkeepers) and several people have said it was the best day of soccer they've ever witnessed. What's not to love? I'm a CUFC guy. I root for our teams. I respect what CESA has accomplished and recognize it as the most "successful" club in the state.<<

I don't think anyone would debate the merits of the play. I do find the "scare quote" usage interesting with respect to "successful."

I actually witnessed a parent of one club shake their first at a group of parents from another club and state that CESA dominance was changing when their team scored the first goal against CESA. I understood the emotion -- but not necessarily the outward expression thereof. It was amusing to me when CESA eventually won the game -- but I also recognize that my detachment would have been much more difficult to achieve if I had a child playing in that game or I had been "rooting" for the other club.

>>We've done a great job since the merger and I think the "results" gap will continue to narrow.<<

Whether CUFC has done a great job since the merger really depends upon what the goals were and whether those goals have been achieved at the club level. I've been on here several times in the last week stating I think that CUFC has certainly made achievements at all levels of soccer -- I think that it's more impressive to look at the B and C level teams and what they did from first to second year -- but I would never presume to guess whether the club has done a "great job" without understanding the expectations/goals of the club versus the actual results.

In terms of the "results" gap (those scare quotes again!) -- certainly you would expect it given the number of teams participating in challenge, relative sizes of the clubs, and the like.

>>Ultimately though, it's important to keep in mind that this isn't a competition between clubs. The sole purpose of their existence is to create an environment where our kids can play soccer, improve as they can, and have fun.<<

This is one of those statements that seem at face value to be valid, but upon closer inspection is flawed. Certainly it's a competition between clubs. You recognize that with your posts about Bridge "luring" kids and your earlier questions regarding why CESA-Columbia even exists. This is a competition among clubs attempting to secure rights to attend and compete in the best tournaments, to compete in RIIIPL-East, and the like.

Moreover, I'm pleased that CUFC is getting stronger and the games are getting closer. I think it challenges CESA to increase its services in new and innovative ways -- just as having CESA has seemingly always motivated CUFC to stretch in an attempt to offer more and better services. In the end, it's the competition not just between individuals, not just between teams, but between clubs that can help change the landscape of youth soccer in South Carolina so that our kids have more opportunities.

In terms of youth soccer, the major way to hurt kids is by limiting their choice. The best way to help kids is increasing the diversity and levels of service that we offer them. As long as we focus more on increasing services, and less on litigation and attempts to prohibit kids from attending the clubs of their choice, the better off we'll be.

H
goal
goal
H
Sorry I scared you with the quotation marks. They were used because there might be a difference of opinion on what defines "success" and what defines "results."

I won't get into a point by point rebuttal. I said what I meant to say and I stand by all of it. There are differences in the cultures of the big clubs in SC. I prefer ours (CUFC). CESA's and Bridge's may suit others better. That's fine. I guess it just depends on what one's looking for.

I meant to add that I have no desire to limit anyone's choice about where to play, and don't know how you could have inferred that. As I said in the other thread, I do think clubs should refrain from recruiting. Everyone knows how to contact them.

Last edited by HappyDaddy; 12/13/07 02:38 PM.
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard