Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#92182 01/10/08 03:13 PM
coach
OP Offline
coach
Just to piggyback a bit on Wayne's thoughts, I thought it would possibly stimulate some lively discussion among parents about the true meaning of success in sports. There is always talk in all sports about the best team (wins not losses), team records, who has the best players, winning championships, etc. This book talks about what should be the most important approach to take in supporting your child's involvement in sports.
The author's principle suggestion is that parents should
"Move your children beyond the 'winning is everything' philosophy of today's athetics and teach them to experience any sport as part of the journey toward becoming a good person."
http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Good-Sport-Your-Face-World/dp/0071391053/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

S
goal
goal
S
To me the meaning of success in sports/soccer changes dramatically when a player moves from rec soccer to travel soccer. At the highest level of any sport, it's about winning, period.

coach
OP Offline
coach
sweet,
So the experience of letting the sports participation serve as a learning tool on how to be a good sport or good person do not factor into your equation of success?

J
world cup
world cup
J
I'm not so sure the differentiation is made at that point (rec to travel), but when players are paid six and seven figures to play the "game" professionally a change has occurred - they become entertainers. (Which in my view justifies it being "all about winning.")

I think there is a compromise here, though not a pretty one. Competition is a "personal journey" for some the journey leads to a multi-million dollar career, for others it leads to an advanced knowledge of the players and teams they love, and yet for more it is just a FUN outlet for them to participate in beyond their daily routine.

If your definition of success is "the very best" then success can still be achieved in whichever route you travel, but you cannot cross-compare because there are different objectives.

Does that make any sense?

coach
OP Offline
coach
The focus here is really on the younger kids-ages 10 to 18-
and the approach that parents should consider when looking at winning is everything v. successful growth within that specific child.

S
goal
goal
S
Striker:
I said highest level, that to me means professional.
Jack:
That make lots of sense, I agree totally.

J
world cup
world cup
J
Okay. This is my last stab at it then.

I think for anyone to be not only truly successful, but also enjoy their life - they must have made a conscious choice to pursue whatever it is they are doing.

By that I mean, a parent can have hopes and expectations for their child to be a great soccer player. But no matter how deep that desire is, if the child does not have the same passion it won't happen.

I think a parent should provide every opportunity they can. If the child is comfortable moving from rec to travel ball - move them. If they are comfortable moving to a more competitive club - move them. If they are comfortable signing a contract or a letter of intent - sign away.

The emphasis should be support, rather than pressure.

Am I getting warmer?

coach
OP Offline
coach
Sweet,
Just to clarify........so when a child reaches travel level in soccer, success is about winning, period?

goal
goal
Striker didn't you have a child play recently? If so, what are your thoughts?

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
S
goal
goal
S
Striker:
No, but im still waiting to hear a parent or player ask a player if they were successful after a match. Striker, after a match do you ask a team if they won or if they were successful? During the Disney showcase my phone rang up to 20 times a day with people asking, did my daughters team win? never a call asking were they successful.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard