Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Signing day is in Feb thus making the HS senior season pointless for college bound players that sign...unless they are given a reason as mentioned above. A, B, C, or D

world cup
world cup
Daddy,

The CSC girl at Clover is a U-16, but I believe she is a junior.

Very nice player who is currently showing off her skills on the basketball court for the Lady Blue Eagles.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

As far as club player = HS success. I highly doubt if you were to go back and look at the final 8 teams at 4AAAA over that past that any of them had rec players on the varsity or JV for that matter.

No real argument that year-round club players make a very real difference on a high school varsity team--there would be something amiss in the universe if three-month players could effectively compete with year-round players--although I do know of contributing players on top-15 varsity teams who have played rec ball due to time and other commitment constraints. Better to play rec ball than have to take fall season off completely, after all. Two of my best club players this fall came from last year's rec team.

Still, that's only part of the equation; if the HS coach doesn't use the talents developed during club season to best advantage, then it's largely wasted. It takes all elements coming together for a team to be its best...credit has to be at least shared with the high school coach who puts it all together into an effective team. Good club players don't automatically result in success unless the person at the HS helm is able to lead them well.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

With respect to the HS coach who I don't know.....they have gotten better as a team in large part because a big bubble of talent was pulled together years ago by Hurst at Northside....and then further developed with outstanding club coaching from Efrain Tirado.

Thats why Clover has gotten better. Add to that a few key players such as the girl from CSC Blue and also Britta from CESA Challenge....and you have a team on the rise. Last piece of the puzzle are passionate, commited parents. Which Clover now has.

Should be a greatly improved team this year...who will get better and better over the next couple of years.

With respect to the aforementioned--whom I don't know personally, but I hear enough good things to respect--I think you also have to give some credit to the coach who puts it all together into something that works. A good high school coach can use talent to its best advantage and bring the best out in players...while a bad one can waste everything. If a HS team is successful, I think we have to give at least part of the credit to the person at the helm.

I've got good news and bad news...
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Amen. A point of view we don't always get in our world of ultra competitive programs. The blue collar coach brings us the truth!

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
The only difference between Clover.....and York, Lancaster, Rock Hill High.....is the gob of Club players that Clover has.

They are more talented than these other schools, not better coached.

This is NOT an intended gig at their coach. Merely my opinion, based on observation.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Chass,
I agree. I forgot that in the post. That would be the Phil Jackson effect. yes, it would be easy to win with Jordan and Pippen or Kobe and Shaq, but you have to have a coach who can manage the players and the games. So, I do agree.

W&E,
I am lots of things but a liar is not one of them. And after all the talk last year, I figured I would see a couple of competitive games. Just like I went to the Viking cup to see competitive games. I apologize for my apparent ripping of them. I hope they have a great year and challenge FM. Since I apparently offended you, I will not discuss any particular teams anymore.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
No offense taken, just coach bashing without rhyme or reason from a self proclaimed casual observer throws up the red flag. Makes one wonder if it's a parent posting anonymously for fear of retaliation against the child...but that's not the case here I see. You know how all that goes. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

C
Goal
Goal
C
I would like to start by thanking Cid for the praises thrown my way.... Things are definitely looking up for Northwestern girls soccer. The number of girls at conditioning is the highest I have had in 4 years with the program. Not many club players but still good young athletes that have the potential to develop into players.

In my opinion it is the responsibility of the coach to develop what they are given in the 4 month season. Some of us are not as fortunate to have a group of girls playing club ball year round. I have chosen to focus on coaching my son during the club season instead of high school girls.

Northwestern will have a roster of 22 players, about half have only played Futbol a year or less. But as stated earlier, they are athletes that can be worked with to field a very competitive squad.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
No need to worry. And I apologize for the bashing. Just want to see some more quality soccer in SC. Good luck Cantona, that region is getting tougher by the year.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard