Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Goal
Goal
C
I agree, It is nice to stay close to home and get quality mathes.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I think we're talking about a couple of different things here:
1. Top 4A schools
2. Correlation/importance between success (wins) and having a roster full of club players versus non-club players.
3. Role of development for a coach in high school.

IMO, there is no way you can be considered a top 4A school without having a roster full of quality club players. Unlike 5 man basketball where having one Baby Shaq on the court can totally alter a game....11 man soccer requires depth as well. A team with 2-3 very, very good players and 2-3 very average players....a good coach will identify and exploit the marginal players. So, to be at the top of the heap competitively...you better have quality at every position. Don't have to be superstars....but you need to be a good solid player, at the least.

So this kind of takes care of points 1 and 2. To be a top prgoram you need a good solid base of club players....along with good coaching and a couple of superstars. But it starts with having that base.

Last point has to do with development. If you coach at a school with 13-15 club players on your roster, individual player development is probably lower on the totem pole. A statement that I'm sure is anathema to every coach out there...all of whom profess development to be a core objective. And it is...to a point. But if you are a top 5 / top 10 program its probably a whole lot more important to teach tactics, fitness, and that you be a solid, creative game coach.

For schools like ours (Nation Ford), where we have maybe 6-8 club players on the boys side and the girls side.....the role of a good coach will quite naturally HAVE to be more about development. Out of necessaity....not for some lofty goal, but because you have to.

We will be like Cantona....with a bunch of athletic and competitve kids who wouldn't know a push pass from a bounce pass. To be a reasonable team.....we're going to have to focus more on individual technical skills becasue without those you can't do any of the tactical work that you might like to do.

For coaches like this....be they in Rock Hill, CLover, Fort Mill or the lower part of the State.....the trick will be...to a casual observer, can you turn a non-Club player, into one who kind of looks like a Club player by the end of the season. Are there kids....who played little role on the team at the beginning who have earned significant minutes by the end of the season.

If the answer at Rock Hill and CLover and Nation Ford is yes....then the coaches have done a great job, regardless of wins and losses.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
(applause)

Great summary!

I've held on to two bits of advice I've received from two different coaches that have helped during my practices.

1) Kris Long (formerly of Irmo and Sburg) told me she hammers around 30 minutes of individual/technical work in every session. The better the players, the better the team. I conditioned, hit technical quickly, then went into small sided games and then long 11 v 11 scrimmages. Fantastic advice.

2) Ryan Roseberry (afore mentioned coach of Westside girls) shared some info from his licensing classes. If you are working on crossing, comment on crossing. Don't try to critique dribbling, volleys or finishing if the focus of the drill is on crossing. Keeps things simple and gives you more coaching efficiency in the desired area.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

As far as club player = HS success. I highly doubt if you were to go back and look at the final 8 teams at 4AAAA over that past that any of them had rec players on the varsity or JV for that matter.

I'm not so sure it boils down to quite such simple terms...the level of team a person plays on (rec vs. classic vs. challenge, for example) doesn't NECESSARILY indicate the absolute ability level of the player. Of course, that's the natural way to bet--after all, players who get spots on high-level teams must have exhibited enough skill to outmatch the competition and earn those positions--but there are some excellent players out there who, due to constraints those of us who ONLY look at the world in soccer terms are sometimes unaware of, either choose not to or are unable to participate on
challenge-level teams.

I've coached U-17 and U-18 Classic teams over the last two seasons, and two of my best players on the U-18 team this past season came from last year's rec squad. They had skill, but even more, they had determination and heart, and they enjoyed what they do and put everything into the game. When it came to getting the job done on the field--and I say this with no offense to anyone on the higher-level team--I wouldn't have traded either of them for my choice of players from the challenge team.

A player who comes from a rec team with a conscientious coach (not just a space-filler) with a good attitude and a love of the game can not only arrive on a team ready to contribute, but can also be further developed into an even greater player. I think I'm very lucky to have a rec coach on my high school staff who loves the game, helps to instill that love of the game into the players, and puts his all very conscientiously into player development.

Again, I'm not saying that the AVERAGE rec player can compete ability-wise with the AVERAGE challenge player, or that the AVERAGE rec coach's training is on par with the AVERAGE high-level club trainer. What I am saying is that there are exceptions (and exceptional people) who don't fit into the convenient hierarchical pigeonholes we use to oversimplify our view of the world...so to say that there are NO "rec players" worthy of membership on final-8 AAAA teams seems a little extreme.

I've met them.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
Big Daddy...I'll agree with W&E...nicely stated.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I do agree. Which goes back to my point that a great coach can do alot with less talent simply because that coach is able to find a "role" for those "rec" players. That would go back to the development arguement. I do agree that there are alot of "rec" players who, because of circumstances outside of their control, cannot play club. There are ALWAYS exceptions to the rules. I am just curious if anyone has the ability to find out how many "rec" players have been on final 8 teams?
I will say this. We often overlook great coaches who "do more with less". These are the people who are really getting kids to love the sport of soccer. And these are the people who should be highly considered for coach of the year honors.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
While I'll agree with you cid....remember that the primary premise of this thread was top 4A programs in the state.

A coach that turns non-soccer players into soccer players has done a good job....but its highly unlikely you'll mention his/her team in a discussion of top teams statewide.

Teams loaded with non players, rec players, and even classic players...are unlikely to be in a top 5 ranking for 4A schools.

Teams with a lot of kids from CESA Premier or Challenge, Bridge Gold, CUFC Elite, Mount Pleasant/Summerville or Lexington or Tega Cay/Charlotte kids.....those are the teams that are likely to be at the top of the heap.

C
Coach
Coach
C
No argument there, BD...but then, the teams with a lot of kids from the top club programs AND a high school coach who knows how to get the most out of them...those are the teams that will hit the top of the top. Doesn't matter how great the available ingredients are, it still takes a skilled cook to make a top-notch meal. I don't think a team will be noted for greatness JUST because they have a full roster of top club players. You may not be able to make top 5 without them, but there's no guarantee you will make top 5 WITH them, either. No matter how essential club training may be for top ranking, you still can't give the clubs the ENTIRE credit for a HS team's success.

world cup
world cup
Good point Coach Chass. I don't think any 4A girls team has ever won a state championship with anything less than a very competent coach.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I totally agree. To be a top 3-4 program you need good solid players at every position, depth, 2-3 great players, a very good coach, and luck.

Teams loaded with very good players without structure will underachieve all the time.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard