Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Sounds like a challenge for Northwestern. Didn't they split last year and NW take the 2nd seed? Is Clover good enough to leap from 3rd in the region to 1st? Didn't they lose every match against a ranked opponent (Fort Mill twice, 3A Airport, and Irmo)?

Not a hater, just getting the discussional juices going!

world cup
world cup
Clover should be favored over Northwestern in Region 3 this year but Cantona can keep his team in any game by playing tough defense.

Cid, I don't know the answers to all of your questions concerning Clover. I will say, however, that I don't think it's the job of the high school coach to "develop" her players. She only has her players for three months out of the year. It's up to them to put the work in during the other nine months so that they can be in a position to make a solid contribution to the varsity team.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
That is a big, AND I MEAN BIG, amen. Hurst, post of the month to you my friend.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Hurst,

I agree to a point.
You are right that a HS coach doesn't develop their players, but they do put in a system and develop the system. FM plays the same way var and JV and just plugs in nex players each year. Granted, they are getting better in the offseason with club, but they know what is expected of them with their HS.
My question was more about whether or not Clover has the ability to best use what they have and find "roles" for their weaker players to be successful at. Northwestern got beat up by Clover in game 1 and Cantona made adjustment and won the second game. Can Clover do that???
Also, is Clover pushing their players to get better in the offseason?? That would be the big question. My argument is "are they placing all of their hopes on the starting 11?" What happens with an injury? Are the "non-starters" being pushed to get better or are they just "along for the ride"? If it is the latter, that is the coaches problem.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
world cup
world cup
cid,

You appear to be a lot closer to the Clover program than I am......you tell me.

Not too many teams in South Carolina are eleven deep with high-level club players. Depth is a problem that most schools will have to overcome. That's what makes the Wando's, Lexington's, Dorman's and Dutch Fork's stand above the rest.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Cid, I don't know the answers to all of your questions concerning Clover. I will say, however, that I don't think it's the job of the high school coach to "develop" her players. She only has her players for three months out of the year. It's up to them to put the work in during the other nine months so that they can be in a position to make a solid contribution to the varsity team.

Let me start this out with a deep bow of respect to two of our most venerable posters, Hurst and W&E. Don't take this badly, guys, but this is the first time I've ever had occasion to strongly disagree with both of you at the same time.

It's probably a product of WHERE I've coached throughout my career--I've never really worked in a "soccer area" at a "soccer school," so I've never had the luxury of having someone else train and develop all of my players for me and hand them to me ready to go at the beginning of varsity season. Of course, we're working on getting as many as possible involved in club and other opportunities during the non-varsity seasons, but in some areas like mine, club (and even rec) soccer is seen as a luxury most don't have, not an expected way of life. If I had to depend only on players who were club-trained to put on the field this year, I would have...um, let's see...let me do the math...two. And I coached their club team this past season as well. Bottom line is, for the vast majority of my players, if I don't develop them, it doesn't happen--and I suspect I'm not the only high school varsity coach in the state with that situation. The minute I put my nose in the air and say, "Well, it's not MY job to develop them," we go right back to the days of a few years ago when the team was getting blown out 15-0 on a regular basis. No, thank you. I'll take my three months with them and work with them as hard as we can...if they're not "ready" at the beginning of the season, then the goal is to develop as we play and finish the season strong in region play when it counts most. Granted, I'm not in a position to be gunning for a state or even a region championship at this point--Wando and James Island might have something to say about that--but even if I were, and even if all of my players had outside training in the off season, I don't see how that would excuse me from the responsibility of using MY three months to bring my players along as much as possible instead of saying, "Well, that's who showed up; that's what I'm stuck with."

I think it's the responsibility of a head coach to be able to use ALL of the resources at his/her disposal to the greatest effect to benefit the team. By refusing to take the time and effort to develop players who may be on the edge of becoming assets, the coach is showing himself to be either unwilling or incapable of taking advantage of those resources. If you can only see the player who shows up under your nose in January instead of being able to spot the player who CAN BE with the right training and encouragement, you're missing out on some good players.

Another thing I've found is that players tend to be more invested when they're with the people who helped to build and develop them. On what grounds can I ask one of my players to go out and play her heart out for me if I've had little or nothing to do with making her into the player I expect to see on the field? Investment goes both ways. Of course you're right--if players want their teams to be successful, it IS their responsibility to work during the other nine months in order to be ready to contribute in the spring. But I think the coach needs to be equally invested during those three months to make the most possible impact--not just expect the players to do the work in the off season, point them to their assigned positions on the field, and win him credit for a championship. Even those players who show up "ready" to win a championship could possibly become even better with some development from their high school coach--provided, of course, that the high school coach has the ability to actually develop them further.

Webster's Online defines a "Coach" as:

Noun
1. (sports) someone in charge of training an athlete or a team.

Verb
1. Teach and supervise (someone); act as a trainer or coach (to), as in sports; "He is training our Olympic team"; "She is coaching the crew".

The Occupational Dictionary defines the job:

Analyzes performance and instructs PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES (amuse. & rec.) in game strategies and techniques to prepare them for athletic competition: Observes players while they perform to determine need for individual or team improvement. Coaches players individually or in groups, demonstrating techniques of sport coached. Oversees daily practice of players to instruct them in areas of deficiency. Determines strategy during game, independently or in conference with other COACH, PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES (amuse. & rec.) or HEAD COACH (amuse. & rec.) based on factors as weakness in opposing team. May be designated according to phase of game coached as Defensive-Line Coach (amuse. & rec.); Pitching Coach (amuse. & rec.). May be designated according to game coached as Basketball Coach (amuse. & rec.); Football Coach (amuse. & rec.); Swimming Coach (amuse. & rec.); Tennis Coach (amuse. & rec.).

or:

One who instructs or trains. . . players in the fundamentals of a competitive sport and directs team strategy. Source: European Union.

Hm...instructs...trains...teaches...fundamentals...analyzes performance...determines the need for individual and team improvement...all sounds suspiciously like developing players to me. Which brings me to the final question--why bother giving someone the title of high school "coach" if it's not their responsibility to...well...

...coach?

Sorry 'bout the soapbox, guys...maybe you could tell, but player development is something I feel pretty strongly about. I agree completely that a high school coach can't do it all in three months--to be successful, the players have to take responsibility for the off-season development--but I think it IS the coach's responsibility DURING those three months to do all he or she can instead of shuffling players off just because they didn't show up already meeting standards.

Feel free to return fire.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
unfortunately hurst, I am not. I am going off of what I have been told by some friends in the area. I was only able to get up to the York area for the second game that was played against NW and FM. It was at that time I was given info about the 1st games. I was just trying to figure out how you almost beat FM and then get run over in the second game. That to me looks like either the FM coach is Brilliant (and I do hear that he is a great coach) and makes great adjustments. or that the clover coach didn't adjust anything. OR a combination of the 2. I agree with Chass that it is the coaches responsibility to find depth or create it. I think that if a club team didn't develop it's non-starters over a 3 month season(i.e. the spring or fall), that club coach may not be the coach for very long. Besides playing club, what do Wando, Lex., etc do to create a more competitive environment that a Clover could do? Or, better yet, Clover has money (which has been discussed at length on here). why aren't all of the clover kids pushed toward playing club? Once again, developing the program begins with developing the youth in the community through club, doesn't it???

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
J
world cup
world cup
J
Plain and simple, different programs have different goals.

Some HS programs (and even clubs) are geared more towards player development. Some are geared towards "W"s and championships.

And there are a handful of teams out there that are caught in the middle - especially in prep soccer.

With only minimal knowledge of Clover, it seems to me that they are a program on the rise. But as the powers on both sides of the ball in all classifications will tell you - the key is consistency. It doesn't happen over night..and it doesn't happen over three months.

Of course, once the system and tradition are in place..then it is a whole different game. Etc...

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Chass (bow returned)

When I started at Hanna, we had a core of five or six club players. We found an old club charter and got our players involved. Along came ASA and we transferred our status there as it was more structured. The ambitious players moved to CESA in Greenville and from there the program has turned self sustaining with parents who have put in a lot of time and money (shout out to my former parents who made the program work!).

When dealing with soccer at a top 20ish level, you have to have the club players to make it go. If a parent is hoping their team can compete with the likes of Ft. Mill year in and year out - while having few club players to rely on...yikes. It's not going to happen. My comments were directed to address the over zealous hopes that magic will occur and the program will take off regardless of the other nine months of the season are spent. You play soccer to get better at soccer and since HS coaches are restricted in that area...it might fall on the family's shoulders.

It takes more work in my opinion to get a team off the ground than it does to take it from mid table to top 15. You should be commended for your efforts. It would be easy to interview and take another job in a soccer rich environment, but sticking it out and having to really, really work to keep them at that level takes guts. Take a look at what Ryan Roseberry has done at Westside.

Now, looking at Clover and evaluating what the coach has been doing brings us to this:

2005 6-8 (according to website)
2006 8-6
2007 13-5

I'm not a genius but that looks like progress to me. Lets not forget they were also in their transitional year from AAA to AAAA. You have a near .500 record in 3A, move to 4A, take Ft. Mill to OT, split with NW (losing at NW in pks), and lose by 2 to #4 Irmo in the playoffs.

I don't think she's making chicken salad from chicken feathers, but looks like she's doing one fine job of work in South Carolina and I hear she is going to be rewarded for it. Face it, sometimes fans can see program X over here and wish they could have the same thing. Even coaches see ODP and premier level players and think "what if?". These things take time. Sure, the kids could spend less time having lives and train more, the parents could vacation/tithe less and pay for private lessons/summer camps/high level far away clubs, and the coach could spend less time at home and more time planning every spare moment for maximum efficiency.

I'd imagine those kids, parents, and coaches are working hard over there. One could 2nd guess and complain, or do something about it. Like I told a parent 3 years ago after several failed attempts for increased playing time: "It's obvious you and your child aren't happy playing here. I don't want to see you unhappy so maybe you should go find another team."

+

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Quote:

unfortunately hurst, I am not. I am going off of what I have been told by some friends in the area. I was only able to get up to the York area for the second game that was played against NW and FM. It was at that time I was given info about the 1st games. I was just trying to figure out how you almost beat FM and then get run over in the second game. That to me looks like either the FM coach is Brilliant (and I do hear that he is a great coach) and makes great adjustments. or that the clover coach didn't adjust anything. OR a combination of the 2. I agree with Chass that it is the coaches responsibility to find depth or create it. I think that if a club team didn't develop it's non-starters over a 3 month season(i.e. the spring or fall), that club coach may not be the coach for very long. Besides playing club, what do Wando, Lex., etc do to create a more competitive environment that a Clover could do? Or, better yet, Clover has money (which has been discussed at length on here). why aren't all of the clover kids pushed toward playing club? Once again, developing the program begins with developing the youth in the community through club, doesn't it???

If a nonranked team loses to Fort Mill in OT, what coach in his right mind is going to change it all!!!!! AHHHHHHHAAAAAAHAAAAHAHAAAHAAAA!!!! Lord I wish I only got "run over" 3 to 5 by some of those Mauldin and Hillcrest teams in the early 2000's!!! Two goals, geeeez!! I used to think the Lexington fans had high expectations, but they are humble compared to this!!!

Oh, and I'm sure that coach is telling the kids not to play club because that would make them better and "we don't want that".

It's getting deep in here folks...

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard