Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
goal
goal
I
To ask a more direct question, instead of conversational question. Does anyone have a correlation between club players and wins. W&E the leg work comes in when you build the feeder like we are, and do the work to do that. The information simply may save a kid from going by the way of recreational soccer, hoping they will do well on the varsity. We are looking for information not a hammer. Everyone has a hammer. Just read the previous blog.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
So, Clover did a pretty good job this year. I hope they get a full schedule and snag some tough wins in the region and maybe in a tourney or two. Any chance realignment will bring in a fourth stud team?

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
In 1 post I asked why they weren't in the top 15 with 14 wins? And yes, I am curious as to why they have a weaker schedule, but, you also forgot to point out that I said "they can beat anyone outside of the top 10". And probably a few in it. I apologize for not traveling up to see them more, but before last year nobody on here talked about them. I do hope that they schedule some tough non-region games and tournaments. I hope they do prove they belong. It would be nice for someone to challenge FM. (And I am sure they would like it.)

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Clover has a talented core of 10th graders that have played Club together for a long time. They have some nice 9th graders coming in...and they also have a 10th grader who plays for Charlotte Soccer CLub Blue.

All of their starters are good, solid players and several of them are very, very good players. 1 or 2 maybe exceptional. From a depth perspective they are still light but should be 2-3 deeper than they were last year.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
I wish that whole program the best. It's nice to see new programs come up and make the top 15 that much more competitive.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
W&E,

Let me attempt to touch my sensitive side within the development of players coversation

1. Players develop the majority of their technical skills before the reach HS. It is that way for all techniques (reading, music, soccer etc.) Although a HS coach can help to improve technique, they most likely aren't going to turn a rec player into Abby Wambach

BUT

2. a HS coach is solely responsible for the tactical approach to the game of their team. even if you have 40 club kids, they will all play different systems. it becomes the HS coach's job to get them on the same page. this is where a team with less technical talent can become competitive. a great coach will be able to take an athletic or smart athlete and fit them into the system. a great athlete can be made into a great marking back if the coach can teach the tactics and technique of 1 v 1 defending. (easier than attacking 1 v 1) I would say that players without great technical skill can flourish if placed in a good tactical scheme (AKA Pablo Mastroeni and Chris Armas, they aren't Zidane but the sure have been taught how to disrupt an offense) a great coach makes adjustments (not major changes W&E) to take advantage of what they have. My example was more of a praise for the NW coach. beat up the first time, tactical changes for the 2nd game resulting in a win. This is where your "role player" development can be rested on the HS coach. developing an athlete into a role within the team tactics.

As far as club player = HS success. I highly doubt if you were to go back and look at the final 8 teams at 4AAAA over that past that any of them had rec players on the varsity or JV for that matter.

As far as record, it does seem to me that a great sophmore class with 1 or 2 exceptional players (Big Daddy) could have alot to do with a huge jump in record. I hope that this program can continue to have a high level of success once that group is graduated. more good HS teams means more good soccer players, which is good for SC.

By the way W&E, is the Clover coach moving up to college? What other kinds of "rewards" can a HS coach be given? Just curious.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
My kids go to Nation Ford, not Clover....lest anyone question my interest in Clover.

But my daughter plays Club with a bunch of these girls and we're good friends with these families.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Oops....didn't mean to submit so fast.

With respect to the HS coach who I don't know.....they have gotten better as a team in large part because a big bubble of talent was pulled together years ago by Hurst at Northside....and then further developed with outstanding club coaching from Efrain Tirado.

Thats why Clover has gotten better. Add to that a few key players such as the girl from CSC Blue and also Britta from CESA Challenge....and you have a team on the rise. Last piece of the puzzle are passionate, commited parents. Which Clover now has.

Should be a greatly improved team this year...who will get better and better over the next couple of years.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Cid000000000000000, all those things are great. But you claimed not to have been "up" to the York area save one game, yet your post are heavy, heavy, heavy Clover...about as north as you can get. One would deduce the following:

A) "Up" was misused and you are actually living in Clover, and very disgruntled with the Clover program...although you denied Hurst's question of your closeness (derived only from 'friends' you have in the area) which would then make you a liar. That's not a nice term or label so I would not think this one. Preacher said not to name call and to expect the best out of others. It couldn't be this one (could it?), but I had to list the possibility.

B) You truly are geographically below York and have some prior relationship/experience with the coach which has caused you to make the derrogatory comments.

C) You truly are geographically below York and your dedication to your 'friends' is so strong and devout that you have taken up their disgruntled campaign againt the coach.

Just trying to figure it all out. Maybe there is a D that I've overlooked.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Once again, developing the program begins with developing the youth in the community through club, doesn't it???

No...developing the program begins with giving the players something worth working for--a REASON to invest the time and money in club season. If you're saying that the purpose of playing club ball is to prepare for varsity--then the first thing you have to do is make sure varsity ball is something the players feel is worth preparing for.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard