Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
95dad Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
I will be faced with this battle very soon and would like to find out what is the take on this issue do you believe that players should play JV over Club ball especially since the Spring season is when they will have state cup?

world cup
world cup
I believe they should play both.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal
goal
S
Play both! The kids have too much fun in JV with their friends. Yes it is a hardship but the enjoyment and confidence my son gained can not be measured.

N
corner kick
corner kick
N
Play both if they (and you) can handle it, choose club if you can't.

M
brace
brace
M
Play both, but it's important to understand club obligations take priority over JV when conflicts arise for the player committed to his/her personal and team development.

Be sure to have the discussion up front with your JV and Club coaches. Success during the spring season is vital to the health of a club team, so it's always been obvious to me that the first obligation a club player has during the spring is to his/her club team.

Playing for your school is a huge rush for a kid and for that alone it is worth consideration.

The physical stress can be very difficult for the average player. Practice from 4-6 and then 7-8:30 for club. Keeping grades up is critical during this period.

Having said that, there are some players who can pull it off without much difficulty. However, some will break in the sense that they may not be 100% during club practice. If they don't hydrate and eat properly before and after training sessions the stress will show pretty quickly.

It can be done, but think carefully about what you're taking on.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I appears I may be in the minority.

I have preached all along that IF you are playing club ball in a challenge level team, you will be better off to play club for the 7th and 8th grade.

1- coaching - enough said on that one
2- Competition - enough said on that one as well
3- development- players around you of equal caliber will help/push you to develop better skills, you cannot say that on the majority of JV programs.
4 -The comments about playing for your school are misleading as your school is the middle school not the HS.
5- as a 7th or 8th grader you cannot play varsity because of the contact. Then why play JV when you will be playing against varsity rejects who may be 17 and may not enjoy made to look stupid on the field of play by a 7th grader.
6- most important - you need to keep your grades, JV practice every day plus 2-3 club sessions and travel on weekends (never mind the conflict with a JV tourney/games). IMO is too much. Grades are the single most important tool to be able to play in college... you do not have them you will not play regardles of talent.

H
goal
goal
H
I agree with Manchester if we're talking about JV. Middle School is a different kettle of fish. I'm not aware of any Middle School soccer that is worth playing for an elite level player. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with MS soccer. If your child is a serious player though, I would never recommend letting MS soccer interfere with Club.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Then why play JV when you will be playing against varsity rejects who may be 17 and may not enjoy made to look stupid on the field of play by a 7th grader.

OK, seriously. "Varsity rejects?" "Made to look stupid by a 7th grader"? Did you not think before you posted that, or did you intentionally try to find the words that would be most insulting and condescending to any aspiring athlete who isn't considered God's gift to Challenge and Premier soccer?

An otherwise perfectly good set of arguments tarnished by a complete lack of grace.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
"Varsity rejects"? I know of several programs in the state where kids play JV at top notch programs where if they played at lesser programs would be varsity starters and pretty much stars of the team. Its wrong to generalize players based on year and program they play for.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Coach C... I will take the fire and brimstone but there is more truth in it than you may think having witness many an instance.

Jamal Geather's knee comes to mind after a game with Airport (albeit not JV) in which a lesser skilled player tired of looking bad and being handled all game long went into a tackle (for certain did not look to be intentional) awkwardly and cost Jamal most of the season and could have cost him more.

The concern is especially for boys, a talented 7th or 8th grader who weighs 100lbs wet needs to go into or defend balls from a 165 lb player whose skill level does not allow him to be in control of his body.

I will agree that for girls is a bit different in that the size differntial may be smaller, but you have to admit in the heat of competition you are more likely to be very physical to at least slow the opponent.

Poor choice of words... I accept the lashing.

The statement I made was to bring out the issue of younger player in JV.

I was not insulting athletes, I was stating a fact applicable to any contact sport.

It has been my experience that soccer players be them classsic or higher are not the problem...

It is the other athletes that do not have the skill for the game. Just like I do not pretend to be able to play basketball or football it does not mean I am not athletic, but it does mean that due to my lack of skill I can be more dangerous to both myself and opponent.. something as simply as getting to a tackle late and not recognizing it. Many schools have teams that include such players.

The SCHSL has determined that you must be in 9th grade to play varsity, yet 7 and 8 th graders play against 11th graders at JV games...or worse SCISA has no such rule and are allowed to play SCHSL schools varsity WITH 7 and 8th graders. Why was the rule introduced? I would guess insurance.

If my kid is a talented soccer player he will play club ball until 9th grade at which time he will try out for Varsity.

Soccer63... there many more HS teams lacking the core base of players than there are with the right base...all the big names for sure have quality and my guess is that very few 7 or 8th graders make the JV. But many schools do not have this base which is one of the reasons I have been told 7 and 8th graders play "otherwise they would not be able to field a team"

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 01/25/08 10:18 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard