Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
corner kick
corner kick
I haven't posted in a while, but since I was in this position back at 12/13/14, I thought I'd contribute my five cents.

In 7th grade (at 12), I played both club soccer and varsity soccer for a SCISA school. It required an immense time commitment for both myself and my parents as well as both of my coaches at the time. Typically, I'd go straight to varsity practice after school (luckily, I could catch rides with juniors/seniors to the fields on Johns Island from downtown), get picked up a half hour early by my parents and driven all the way to Patriots Point to attend my full club practice (two or three times a week). Sometimes I would miss club practices on Thursdays or Mondays if I had a varsity game and, of course, my club games--and we usually played two games every Saturday or so back then--were on the weekends.

On top of that, I carried a full schedule in school including some advanced classes.

As such, it's obvious that it is perfectly possible to play for both a club and school team, but it takes an especially dedicated player to be able to juggle a competitive club schedule, a JV (or varsity) schedule, AND keep up your grades at the same time. The parents have to be fully invested in the child's play and in ensuring that they have time to and do complete their schoolwork in a timely manner. Again, it requires, for some, extensive driving (and gas).

It also requires the full understanding of both coaches. We established as a unit that club practices took precedence over the school practices, but school games trumped club practices, and club games trumped all of the above. If I missed a club practice, even for a game, I understood that I would not start the first game following the practice. Even so, my club coach ended up disliking the arrangement by the end of the season and some of my playing time suffered as a result.

Even with all the sacrifices though, I would not have given up the chance to play with a varsity team for anything. Between the rigorous training I received in club practices and the experience I got in playing with and against older, more experienced girls--several of whom had played for the Fury in Mt. Pleasant, a few years above me--I was in the best shape I had ever been in and my skills improved a great deal due to the added pressures and more exposure to skill levels. I was able to take pride not only in being on a club team and starting or playing for them, but in being an integral part of my school's team and knowing that I had an impact when I was on the field as I started or played most of the games for the team. Especially memorable was my 8th grade year when we made the playoffs for the first time in several years. I had a sense of membership and inclusion in something other than just my club team that I could relate to school and my friends there.

(In 8th grade I played up two age groups and didn't have a spring season in club...and 9th I returned to my old team under the condition that I forgo high school soccer in order to play the U14 spring season with the club)

So the rewards can be just as great as the sacrifices involved. I believe though, that it takes special consideration by the player, parents, and coaches in order to make the decision that is best for all involved. Do the parents have time to drive around? Can the student handle the work load? Can they match up against the older players in school without the risk of severe injury (whether it's skill, size, ability, etc.)? Will the club coach allow it? Will the school coach allow it? And most importantly, is it something the player wants to do?

If the die all roll out favourably, I don't see why anyone shouldn't be able to play both because the benefit can definitely be worth it. However, if there is disagreement or unsurety, it's probably best to stick with club ball as it has the highest return on investment.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Futbol,

You do make good points that are worthy of consideration. As you noted, it was the choice of words that I took issue with, and thank you for understanding that. I think when working with young people it's important to make an effort to say what needs to be said while at the same time not demeaning anyone in the process. Again, thanks for a very graceful response, and forgive me for being a little aggressive in my defense of those players.

As for the JV/Club question, I don't think there is any one universal "right" answer; there are a lot of situational variables that can affect the results of either choice. Players and parents have to analyze the situation and make the choice that will best suit their personal goals. Most JV teams I've been in contact with aren't just a dumping ground for "varsity rejects," but rather a development stage for those who have a good chance of making varsity in future seasons. Personally, I'd rather use our JV teams to play 7th, 8th and 9th graders who have potential to advance, rather than giving that PT to older players who probably won't be able to advance their skills to varsity level. Still, what you're talking about does happen, and it is a consideration; you have to be able to analyze the composition of your particular athlete's JV squad and that of the competition to make an informed decision. I also agree that, especially with boys, players tend to compensate for differences in skill with pure physical aggression, which can unnecessarily end a good player's season. Again, you have to determine if that really is the JV environment your player's team faces.

All JV coaches aren't created equal, nor are all club trainers or all players. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, so I'd once again say you have to determine situation-by-situation which team, club or JV, would best suit your goals, and go with that.

I've got good news and bad news...
corner kick
corner kick
Everyone has made great points both for and against.

However, we are all missing the most important question...

What does your kid want to do?

After all isn't that what it is all about?

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
95dad Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
She would definately choose club first.

I appreciate all the input I am not sure if i am any closer to an answer now than I was when i first posted but there is certainly some good stuff to take a look at and I still have a little time before we look seriously at the situation.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard