Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
A
throw in
throw in
A
Overall, a quality tournament with many competitive squads. Here are a few thoughts of mine in regards to what I saw over the course of the weekend:

Chapin- A very good team. I believe that this team has everything in place to compete for the AAA State title: talent, speed, leadership, passion, and coaching. They were very solid in the midfield, and with the addition of Joey DeMare up top, look out for the Eagles.

Dutch Fork- Decent is the one word that comes to mind. They defend well, but they seem to play more of a "bunker" type of defense. No aspects of their team seem to stand out as being great, but they seem to do most things well. A solid team that will challenge the top teams; however, I do not envision them competing for the AAAA title. Also, as a side note, Danny Cates, while a very talented, needs to get his head screwed on straight. In the Irmo game, his second yellow card should have been a straight red, and I was shocked at the way he handled himself after the incident and after the game. Come on, Danny, you have got to be better than that. Talent will only take you so far...

Northwestern- I don't think that anybody is sleeping on Northwestern, and they definitely should not start now. Northwestern should once again be considered one of the frontrunners in AAAA. A very talented team that lost an extremely hard-fought match to a very good Chapin team. A loss in a preseason tournament is hardly cause for concern, and the Trojans with solid play from Enzo and Alex should find themselves, once again, in the thick of things come playoff time.

Socastee- One word comes to mind: Speed. The amount of speed the Braves possess up top is incredible. This team is extremely dangerous. They may not try to build the attack as well as some, but they have some game-changers at forward, and they know that is where their strength lies. This team should definitely be in the mix for AAA, along with Chapin and all the Greenville area schools.

Irmo- They're back. The fire, passion, and determination that the Yellow Jackets have lacked since 2005 seems to be back. The offensive attack of Irmo is very potent and they have a few players that complement each other well. From a solid, strong player (McEwan) to a lightning quick slasher (Varney), Irmo has the ability to score in bunches. However, nobody should be annointing this team AAAA champions. Irmo's major weakness seems to be in the back and goalkeeping. Daniel Lynch had a sub-par performance this weekend, for his standards, and the goalkeeping just seemed shaky. Multiple times over the course of the tournament, their keeper (Arneson?) just seemed out of it mentally, and his decision-making was not too good. Overall in the back they just seemed to be lacking the speed of play and tactical awareness needed to compete for a AAAA crown. However, if they can improve their shape, speed, and communication in the back and net, look out for this team in May.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Northwestern loses virtually nothing this year so they should be in good shape next year as well.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Socastee had their chances in the first match. Within the first 10 min. they had 6-7 shots on goal. Westminster, GA goalie had the game of his life. Socastee answered them goal for goal though but just couldnt come out on top. Losing 5-4 in overtime. And this was there first match of the year, so not bad for a team with only 4-5 club players. They did beat Dreher there fellow 3A team so that was a positive. They will regroup and make a run like last year.

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
Is there an all tournament team?

One Time!
P
corner kick
corner kick
P
There should be one coming out soon, but here's mine...

GK: Greg Demare
DEF: Daniel Lynch, #31 from NW, Tyler Willimas
MID: Danny Cates, David Slaughter, Zach Acree, Bobby Beliar
FWD: Taylor Varney, Kyle Mcewan, Enzo Martinez

I know that's a lot of players from Irmo, DF and Chapin but that's pretty much all I got to see play.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I would put fwd Orlando Clarke, #8 from Socastee.

A
throw in
throw in
A
I don't about the entire All-Tournament Team, but Kyle McEwan (Irmo) was named Tournament MVP.

P
corner kick
corner kick
P
Mcewan the tourney MVP and Demare the tourney's best keeper.

http://www.midlandspreps.com/news.asp?t=

I think that is just the Midlands coverage of the team not sure about the rest.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
2008 Lake Murray Challenge All-Tournament Team and MVP

GOALKEEPERS (3)
Greg De Mare, Chapin, SR - LMC Goalkeeper MVP
Shane Hoover, Mauldin, SR
Eric Speese, Westminster-GA, FR

DEFENDERS (7)
Robbie Benson, Northwestern, JR
Lee Knudsen, A.C. Flora, SO
Daniel Lynch, Irmo, SR