Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Northwestern, Rock Hill and South Pointe would have been put on probation and would have been ineligible for the state playoffs.

From The Rock Hill Herald:

http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/prep/story/330880.html

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
"In question was the rule stating outside soccer teams are not allowed to use district facilities, in this case practice fields, during the closed season period."

The state needs to take a closer look at this rule. Many of South Carolina's top high school coaches also coach club soccer. In Columbia (CUFC) and Greenville (CESA) it may not a problem because the club's own or lease their own practice and game fields.

But in other areas, smaller clubs (Discoveries) only have access to fields that are owned by either the school district, or the town's Parks & Rec department. If the fields owned by Parks & Rec are booked by recreational soccer, or are limited to game-use only, the only alternative the coach has is to practice on school district owned facilities.

If the coach is conducting a fall season club practice at Happy Valley Middle School, and that middle school feeds into Kennedy HS, and there is one player on the team practicing who attends Kennedy High....the coach is busted.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
goal
goal
B
Hopefully the SCHSL will take the same approach with the Gilbert Girl's situation. It appears to be the same thing based on what's been written on the board. Otherwise, they will put themselves in a mess with different standards, for different teams.

H
goal
goal
H
What would be the rationale for the rule? As I understand it, all we are talking about is a piece of "dirt." What difference does it make that it is owned by a school district? How in the world does this rule advance any important interest of the SCSHSL?

(I should add that I think some punishment is appropriate if a rule was broken, but it seems like an odd rule. I'm glad that the original decision was reversed. I prefer that SV's repeat championship not have an asterisk)

Last edited by HappyDaddy; 01/31/08 12:51 PM.
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
How is it that a high school league can dictate where club teams practice? I agree totally with Hurst...

I question the so-called "phone call" received by the league concerning teams using school district fields...smells like someone who is out to "get" Northwestern and to heck with the other schools mentioned. Otherwise, why on earth would anyone care where the DSC u17 boys team practices? Funny thing is...the players on that team from Northwestern don't make up the majority. The majority of the players don't play for Northwestern.

Discoveries had a formal, written agreement with the school district to use the district fields. Would it have mattered if any of these teams used an elementary school field? As I understand it, the rationale for this rule has something to with illegal recruiting...or the potential for illegal recruiting...WHATEVER.

This whole situation is COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS.

Brace
Brace
What happened to their coaches?

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
I am not aware of anything "happening" to their coaches. In the fall, they were Discoveries Coaches, coaching their respective teams, working for Discoveries Soccer Club. As of January 28, 2008 they are now coaches for their high schools.

-Attitude reflects leadership-
coach
coach
Hurst,
One point I am unclear on is 'did these respective high schools teams practice as teams under the direction of their respective high school coaches or a separate club coach?'

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
2004, sorry to hijack...their respective high school coaches WERE their club coach. Dom Wren is head coach at Northwestern. He is also the coach of the DSC 90 Green. Frank Vickery is head coach South Pointe and coached the U18 boys DSC team. Rock Hill's coach's name escapes me at the moment, but he coached a U16 or U17 boys team for DSC, as well. All three coaches were told they were allowed to use district fields because of the written agreement with the school district. This agreement was established because of a shortage of available training facilities in this area.

-Attitude reflects leadership-
coach
coach
How many players were on each club team who were also on that coach's respective high school team ?

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard