Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23
J
throw in
throw in
J
Interesting thread, maybe the powers that be at the Rock Hill PRT will read this and finally address the issue of field usage at Manchester Meadows. Making the artificial fields available for club practice seems to be the sensible solution.

coach
coach
Can someone clarify or set me straight on the following issue?

High School practices can begin, as we all know, on Jan. 28. But if a club coach, who is also the high school coach, instructed more than 3 athletes from that same high school team before that date (outside the closed season), are the following SCHSL regulations violated?

{Any student participating in an illegal practice will be declared ineligible for that sport season. Any school allowing an illegal practice will be subject to League discipline to include the placing of the sport on probation.

3. Other Regulations
a. Organized practice is defined as the gathering of a coach (es) and more than three athletes in a given day for the purpose of teaching skills. It also includes the use of school facilities by more than three students.}

Last edited by 2004striker; 01/31/08 02:55 PM.
B
kick off
kick off
B
Taylor Babe,
Aren't there 8-9 players that went to Northwestern, as there was talk about possibly going over high school numbers allowed with the coach doing both. I'm sure no other high school from the DSC team is represented by so large numbers.

atl
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
There are 7 players from DSC 90 Green that play for Northwestern. Granted they are the largest group from any one high school but they don't comprise the majority of the 18 man roster.

There are certainly other NW players that play for DSC but they are not on Dom's club team.

-Attitude reflects leadership-
T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Another thought...

If the spirit of the rule is to prevent HS coaches from training their players on the off-season, then they might as well prohibit HS coaches from coaching club soccer. These are the points that don't make sense to me:

I don't get how the rule should extend to practicing on the middle school campus. If there are no middle school students on the team training at that facility, how does it apply? The rule, as stated below, states the "use of school facilities". This implies a school, not any facility in the district.
How would non-Northwestern players be declared ineligible? They are not a student of or member of the NW team training at NWHS.
The spirit of the rule seems to me is to hinder HS coaches from training their players on the off season. This is a farce. This would impact a significant number of club soccer players in the state. The only way to ensure this is to prohibit HS coaches from coaching club soccer. That would certainly lead to a deterioration of the HS game.

-Attitude reflects leadership-
coach
coach
babe,
So if the NW coach did instruct and taught skills to 7 players before the Jan. 28 date, and 7 is more than 3, isn't this another violation?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Does anyone know the rules? I do not pretend to know them
From the SCHSL rule book

DEFINED SPORTS SEASONS
The following terms will be used and will apply to all sports:
IN-SEASON
Begins first day of legal practice and ends with elimination from state play-off competition. Organized
practice is left to the discretion of each school.
OUT-OF-SEASON
Strength and conditioning programs will not be affected by the limitation on practice seasons.
Conditioning programs are not to include agility drills that enhance specific skills for a given sport, nor
may equipment for any sport be used. Agility drills appropriate for all sports will be acceptable.
Practice and weight training must be open to all students. These sessions cannot be mandatory for any
student.
Any student participating in an illegal practice will be declared ineligible for that sport season. Any
school allowing an illegal practice will be subject to League discipline to include the placing of the sport
on probation.
1. Open-Season/Open Facility
a. June 1 - July 26, 2008 for Fall sports. (July 27-31, 2008 is Closed Season)
b. June 1 - July 31, 2008 for Winter and Spring sports.
c. Ten days for Fall sports to be conducted between the last 30 days of school and the first 10
days after the closing of school.
B-6
NOTE: Ten days of school against school competition are permitted June 1 - July 26,
2008. Participation at team camps and other outside organizations is included in these
10 days. No school will be permitted to attend or participate in team camps between July
27, 2008 and In-Season.
School facilities will be open to all students and coaches who may be involved with the planning and
monitoring of activities, including organized practice, during these time periods.
Participation cannot be mandatory for any student.
2. Closed Season
Any time except In-Season and the Open Season/Open Facility dates listed above. During closed
seasons, school facilities cannot be used for anything except conditioning and weight training.
3. Other Regulations

a. Organized practice is defined as the gathering of a coach (es) and more than three athletes
in a given day for the purpose of teaching skills. It also includes the use of school facilities
by more than three students.

b. Activities that take place during the school day are local matters and are not affected by
these regulations. However, any activity involving prospective athletes during the school day
must be open to all students.
c. School facilities may not be used after school hours during closed season by students of a
school except if they are members of an outside team clearly sponsored by an outside
agency. If an outside team uses school facilities during a closed season, no coach
(including volunteer coaches) from that school or its feeder school may be associated with
that outside team. Coaching outside teams during a closed season is permissible provided
school facilities, including those of feeder schools, are not used and the 75% rule is not
violated. (Refer to A-26 for details on the 75% rule.) Beginning March 25, a coach may
coach an outside team and use school facilities.

d. Outdoor facilities normally available to the public will not be restricted by these regulations on
non school days. In other words, if it is the normal practice of the school to allow the general
public to use these facilities on the weekends, there will be no violation if more than three
students are present, provided there is no coach present, and there is no attempt to facilitate
practice.
e. A coach may accompany prospective team members to a camp or clinic during a closed
season, but may not be involved with teaching skills to his or her own players.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
First I'll state I do not agree with the ridiculous rules

However as written I see the following

1- the fall club season is CLOSED SEASON
2- The organized practice scenario clearly has been violated ( and may I add not just Coach Wren but I can come up with many in the Cola area)
3- Using school property was violated

so what was the winning appeal based on?

And why were Gilbert Girls prevented from post-season play but these boys beat the sentence?

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 01/31/08 03:59 PM.
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
another thought: did any of those discoveries players "transfer" to northwestern? if so, isn't that a violation of the rule that states that players who are coached in club by a club coach and then transfer to the high school of which that same club coach also coaches, he or she would be ineligible.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
rules like many of the schsl rules work perfectly with only one sport, football. fball is the only non year round sport. all of the other sports play year round on some level. that being said, the purpose of the rule is to prevent a coach/team from gaining an unfair advantage. how an unfair advantage is gained by practicing on northwestern or feeder schools' fields is beyond me. the rule also states that no more than 8 can be on the team that were rostered last year and only 6 were. as to other players being ineligible, the rule says any player who participates in an illegal practice is ineligible and makes no reference to where he attends school. as for the gilbert girls, just because the league made a bad decision to bar the girls from post season play does not mean the same bad decision should be made again. if the purpose of the rules is to promote fairness and good sportsmanship, how is that purpose met when kids, who did not break any laws or hurt anyone or engage in otherwise boorish behavior, are kept from playing? school district said it was ok, school said it was ok, coach said it was ok, but now u cant play! give me a #@%^*** break. last fall blythewood was not allowed to defend it s football championship bec of a decision a coach made and he was not even the coach this fall. as forrest gump's mother said," stupid is as stupid does." let em play.

Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard