Print Thread
Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

My direct point is.....what is wrong with the heart and soul of a high school team also playing club together? With the same coach?

Are there advantages of this? Sure!!! Are there disadvantages? You betcha!!!

But why is it against the rules?

Actually, it's not against the rules, as long as you consider the "heart and soul" of the high school team to be 8 or fewer players and they don't use any school facilities.

The rationale behind restricting out-of-season practice in the first place, I think, is to keep the playing field more even among schools who may or may not have a coach who does only one sport. Many schools have coaches who do double or even triple duty; if someone is helping with football, for example, he wouldn't have a chance to work with his players in the fall no matter what the rule, whereas someone who only coaches soccer could practice with his team year-round. Restricting a high school coach to working with the high school team only during the high school season helps to avoid penalizing coaches and their teams for coaching more than one sport.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

Quote:

Always an interesting debate on when to play the high school soccer season. In South Florida, high school soccer is played in the winter season, up against basketball and wrestling.

Winter is in Florida?

Yeah, it's easy to have an outdoor sport during the "winter" season in South Florida; don't know if that would work so well in the less tropical climes.

Soccer in the fall? Football takes up every inch of grass and then some at our school--between varsity, jv and B teams they are spread out over the football field, practice field, baseball field, and softball field. I don't know too many schools in SC with separate soccer facilities and stadiums; so, where would we practice and play?

I've got good news and bad news...
throw in
throw in
This is exactly my point! In CT inorder to do it all in the same season you need distinctly seperate facilities for both sports to peacefully coexist. I just don't see many districts passing bond referendums to build facilities to promote a "marginal" olympic sport with no real returns for the district, hence if seasons were eliminated football would wipe out soccer.
As to Big's question essentially we already have that set up with the club/hs team set up.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
soccerboy,

Trivia question......What's the second largest city in Illinois?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
J
world cup
world cup
J
Apparently, all the appeals were held on the same day. I'm supposed to get an e-mail from Gilbert tomorrow morning as to the result of their appeal.

brace
brace
Quote:

Apparently, all the appeals were held on the same day. I'm supposed to get an e-mail from Gilbert tomorrow morning as to the result of their appeal.

Fancy avatar. Can I have one? Can I? Can I?

J
world cup
world cup
J
It's just a draft.. I'll let you know when the nice stuff comes out

World Cup
World Cup
IN SUMMARY
High School League went overboard in its original punishment for soccer teams.

Penalty was too harsh
By Staff Reports · heraldonline.com
http://www.heraldonline.com/opinions/story/344480.html
Updated 02/06/08 - 12:54 AM

If the South Carolina High School League had been adamant in pursuing a rule violation to an absurd conclusion, Rock Hill's three high school soccer teams would have been barred from competing next season. Thankfully, that consequence was averted -- but barely.

The rule in question forbids private soccer teams not associated with the public school system from using school district facilities during the off-season. Discoveries Soccer, a league that plays year-round, had rented fields from the Rock Hill school district for its practices. Because some members of Northwestern, Rock Hill and South Pointe high schools play for Discoveries, they technically were breaking the rule.

The response of the High School League was Draconian. It ruled that all local players involved would be ineligible for the spring season, and all three high schools would be put on probation. That meant none would be allowed to compete in any tournaments, including preseason, in-season or playoffs.

We understand the rationale for the League's rule against using high school fields in the off-season. It is designed to discourage illegal team practices in the guise of club competitions.

But players and coaches from other schools across the state are involved in Discoveries Soccer. They escaped discipline simply because they were not playing on their home turf.

It's not the private soccer leagues that are illegal; it's the fact that local players were practicing on local school fields.

The three schools immediately launched their own investigation into this incident and sent a report detailing their findings to the SCHSL. The schools then notified the league that they planned to appeal.

School officials argued that this was an issue between the district and Discoveries Soccer, and it would be unfair to punish the players and the coaches involved. In the end, the appeal prevailed -- but only by a vote of 8-7.

We think the schools were wise to accept responsibility and conduct their own investigation, which may have helped sway the decision in their favor. They also have instituted new guidelines to prevent this from happening again.

But while we are pleased that the appeal was upheld, we think the initial actions by the SCHSL were way out of proportion to the infraction. The league was willing to jeopardize three high school soccer programs and bar players from competing when clearly this was not an attempt by the schools to gain an unfair advantage.

The system has to have rules and a body to enforce them. But fairness and common sense should come into play as well.

In this situation, we think the SCHSL's priorities were misplaced.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Kyle thanks for the link...

Then... can someone tell me HOW practicing with 4 players will create an unfair advantage for Dutch Fork? talk about harsh...the man had to resign to keep the program alive?

Based on the newspaper, the problem was practicing on school facilities. But noone has explained why NW got away with the same infraction that Dutch Fork did not, that is practicing with more than 3 players on school facilities during the closed period.
I would argue that coach Wren practicing with 6 NW players creates a greater advantage to NW...

J
Brace
Brace
J
Hurst...the second largest city in Illinois is Rockford....I believe the third largest in Elgin. I would live outside of Rockford.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard